[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DeboTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Alright....F*** it...If anybody wants to look at the hole or look for the other cache, it's located up the only creek on Kings road (a connecting road on hwy 21 around Geneva, TX.) I suspect that it was part of the original Kings hwy, El Camino Real, Nolan's trail.  The horseback ridge looks like a horses rear. There are huge ruts in the side of the hill where logging equipment has been dragging logs out of the woods. We cut over to the creek about 500' up and the ruts must have interrupted the water that cut into the creek bed where the water fall was. You can see where the water cut into the creek bed. Directly under that is the rectangular hole. We found a piece of barbed wire in the pile of dirt that was dug out. Maybe that could be from the period. Google earth helped me find Kings road and Fletcher trail just south of that area. If you see it with your own eyes...maybe you will believe...ye of little faith!!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219332.html#msg219332

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Debo

First off I am sorry your upset that nobody will believe you but TH's deal in facts not assumptions. I for one have been at this for 40+ years 70% or more of my income is from treasure hunting and I live very good. I get several letters a month from folks that claim to have found this or that or knows where this or that is hid are was hid. 90% of the time when I pressure them for facts etc. I never hear from them again they are just blowing their own horn. I am going to point out some mistakes you have made and hope you don't get mad and leave because you sound like you have the makings of a treasure hunter.

You used the internet as your only research tool. The net is a poor place to research treasure legends a good place to start but thats all.

Same with Google Earth you should have compared what you found there with 100 year old maps of the same area you will find lots of changes. 

You assumed that the landmarks you found made this the right place but like Hardluck said you can find landmarks in dozens of places that match within a 100 miles of your site. Then you post an assumption with no facts to back it up.

This is how I would have handled it. After I got all the info from the net I would have dig into old records and tried to prove that John was a real person that the raids took place. I would research where the waybill came from was the source reliable was the source a real person? If I could prove things to my own satisfaction I would then compare the info from Google Earth to old maps of the area to see what had changed over the years and when the changes took place. If you had came with this info nobody would have challenged you.

I just look at my file on this legend and I have it rated a 3 on a scale of 1-10 which means that I have little faith in it being anything more then a legend or  a hoax.

Debo I suggest you read some of the threads that the wrecking crew worked on you will learn how we research and apply common sense and logic to cache hunting.

Good Luck
Seldom       

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219409.html#msg219409

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline kqt0445
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250,coinmaster v supreme AT PRO
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

wow i was thinking of looking for a few old stories of 1700 there were plenty of people that took there money and put it in a jar and if you look at the amount that  joe made during his life time, it is as much as we make in a month that they made in a year. now think of how much gold was robed from banks how much could they got at that time. but what a thrill it is to find a few gold peaces wrapped in a cow hide bag

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219458.html#msg219458

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with ArfieBoy, don't tell a soul if you find it. And yes, it would ruin the thrill of the hunt for others, if they believed you.  I have read probably thousands of posts from seldom and hardluck and they really seem to know what they are talking about. They do very heavy research, which is evident, by all the knowledgeable info and links they have at hand on just about everything you can think of. But, I believe you until it is proved otherwise. I have no reason not to and it doesn't hurt me a bit. If I get the chance, I will mosey on down there and check it out myself in the next year or so, just for the thrill of it.
Thanks for your post and directions and HH.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219560.html#msg219560

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 03:37:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, I want to apologize. I repect your wisdom and experience. I wish I could have lived your life!! I'm really not the cocky type but I was so sure about my research/experience. I wish I could un-post all the comments I posted. I'm not anybody really...I work graveyard...almost 35 years...in IT. I have wanted to be a treasure hunter my whole life! When I lived in California, I begged my husband to take me panning for gold. He stopped at the perfect stream up in the mountains by Yosemite and gave me ten minutes (he wanted to get to San Francisco). When we were planning a trip to Galveston, I started reading about Jean Lafitte. I took my metal detector down there but my husband locked it in the truck, took the keys and went fishing. I got to hunt for seashells instead. When I started reading your article about John Fletcher, I got sucked into the whole story. I couldnt get my husband to go with me to the area so I went by myself, defiantly. Some wild animal scared the crap out of me in the woods and I drove all the way back home totally defeated. I started thinking about it again around November, thats when I really started researching. I had to wait until after hunting season and then told my husband that all I wanted for our anniversary was for him to take me to Toledo Bend. He could go fishing... I just wanted to look at the terrain. I didnt expect to find anything but when we did...it was the most exciting thing I have ever experienced! We were only there about ten minutes and then we had to leave because my husband was hungry. He said we would go back but we never did. I know that I will never be able to get him to go back down there (he has no interest in treasure hunting) and I realize now that an empty hole doesn't prove anything. I thought that maybe someone else would want to go look so I shared the directions. Are there treasure hunting women that go out looking by themselves? How do you protect yourself? And what works on poison ivy?? That is some bad stuff...very, very bad!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219782.html#msg219782

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

No offense to anyone, but, I am glad I am a much more understanding husband. I do things with my wife, that, starting out do not appear interesting to me, but, sometimes, lo and behold, I have a lot of fun. I drove from Texas to Vegas with my previous spouse and she allowed me a whopping 2 hours to stop and gold pan ( found a lot of black sand). It, among many other things, let me know what kind of person she was. (I found me a new spouse that is much more tolerant of my interests)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219783.html#msg219783

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Debo

Please do not get discouraged. Treasure hunting can be a hard frustrating game.

The following People I will not disclose their names or where out of Loyalty and respect for them.

I once knew two young identical twin sisters reared up buy their father who was a salvage diver. They grew up their fathers salvage boat and could do every job imaginable, there was nothing they would not have ago with. Real doers and get up and goers, really put a lot of men including myself to shame. They were never afraid to have a go and woe betide anyone who offended them.

The father scavenged whatever he could scavenge from sea and what odd diving jobs he could get. his young daughters could dive and was very fit and experienced at diving. In all their work they always continued their fathers tradition of leaving a special mark on a wreck as a calling card as such. Some times business was very poor and some times he did okay but poverty was never too far away.Some times when work was bad they would work a jobs on shore  But he and his daughters dreamed of one day making it big and the sea would call them back daring them dream. Years went by their father got too sick search they continued always chasing their dream. It was always a dream to find a valuable shipwreck. He never did find it after years of research. The authorities and archaeologists hounded him into his grave.

His daughters who I must admit could not always tell them apart got endless pleasure of screwing with my head confusing which one they were. I met them as part of my drilling team in New Guinea drilling into an active volcano. I asked them what are they doing in this sorry part of the world they said this job was better paying than their last? I asked them what was their last job, Collecting crocodile eggs in the wild. They ended up being some of bestwork mates I ever worked with. Living in remote location you usually end knowing a lot about the people you work with. They told me many stories of shipwrecks and they told me the special calling card mark they leave on shipwrecks and always dreamed of finding treasure. Perhaps that's is why we got on like a house on fire? But as life moves on and jobs come and go they moved on.

Few years later I saw a article by a Marine archaeologist complaining some one or some people have dived on a shipwreck and had found a patiented chub safe from the shipwreck and cut it open from the back. There was Photograph of the safe in the newspaper and in that picture you could see one last mark.

A smile came to my face.... one last up yours from the Twins. 5 million in gold gone.

Last I heard of them one is living on a deer farm in New Zealand and other is living in Hawaii.

So you see Debo do not get discouraged. Treasure hunting is long hard road but if you follow the advise Seldom gives about researching a treasure legend then perhaps the treasure hunting gods will smile down on you.

What you decide to do with it is your concern.....

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219789.html#msg219789

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:13:41 am by hardluck »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:33:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow, Hardluck...what an encouraging story!! Thank you so much! Usually when someone tells me I cant do something, it makes me want to do it even more! The last couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for me and I'm not usually emotional. I am not going to stop hunting...Im just getting started. I have a couple more local leads that Im going to check out. Wish me luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219790.html#msg219790

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:03:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Debo

Always remember treasure hunt with your head and not your heart.

Treasure hunting is like being a professional gambler. A good gambler studies his craft well. Until all the dot's and T's are crossed with verifiable evidence to his conclusion he will commit himself. Treasure hunting is always a gamble but minimising the risk and maximising the chances some times pay off.

Patience is a virtue. Researching the legend gives you the rules of the game. There are many legends posted on this site. I suggest before anyone to runs out looking for them is research there subject well, not just on the  internet but all sources available to them. Some legends will turn out be nothing more than legends, others will have more truth to them.

But most of all do not become obsessed with a treasure legend and become blind to all else. I can name a few over years that have gone down that road and it has cost them every thing.

Treasure hunting is as in professional gambling knowing when to hold em and knowing when to fold them.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219794.html#msg219794

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:10:05 am by hardluck »
Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What a great learning discussion here!  Thanks everyone who contributed.  I learn something everytime you guys get into one of these discussions!  Thanks!

Seldom, I understand where you are coming from in your disagreement with me and I certainly understand your point.  Especially about not being able to prove the treasure, cache, whatever is NOT there.  In general, though, I stick by my comment.  I appreciate yours... you always give me a new perspective on these things and give me something to consider and think about.  Thanks for that, too!                     Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219833.html#msg219833

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: