[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Debo

I am so glad you decided to stick around there is lots to learn here and I am sure that you can teach us a thing or two before its over.

Let me try to answer your question about women treasure hunters. Back in the 70's and 80's there was 2 ladys that wrote a column in one of the treasure mags that in my opinion were very successful. Also both Karl von Mueller and Ed Batholomew wifes were treasure hunters in their own right. In Bob Ward's book, "Ripples of Lost Echos"  he talks about several lady hunters. So yes there are many lady hunters.

You see me Hardluck BA Foolsgold and many others work on some of the big legends here even tho we are not going in search of them. Why do we do it? It keeps our mines sharp plus we learn to look at thing though different eyes. We take what we learn and apply it to our research projects which we will not share on the open forum till a recovery was made or we see no chance for a recovery. Yes we are a very secret lot. LOL If you only know.

Out of the 100's if not 1000"s of treasures recovered in the US every year few have ever been printed in a treasure book are mag. zero are the big ticket treasure legends like the Dutchman or the Adams digging. The ones that are found are the few grand that old man Jones had cached in the garden or aunt Dales pin money she had hid under the back porch.  So to help your chance of success find you some little or unknown leads and do some original research. We will show you how and lead you down the path just don't blame us when you get the bug real bad.

Good Luck   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219882.html#msg219882

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline DeboTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

It seems like everybody I talk to knows about some treasure legend that they were told about or heard about. My father had a friend when I was very young and lived in Northern Nevada that wanted him to go out to a location where there was a cave that had skeletons and rifles piled up against each other...thats all he could see from the entrance. He heard a bunch of rattlesnakes in there so he needed help and supplies to try to get in there. The guy died before they could make the trip. I've also wanted to go down to the San Saba area and check out a story I was told about down there. I'm trying to get my husband interested in hunting...and I dont even really care if we find anything...its just fun to look. We had the best weekend when we went to Toledo bend. He has always travelled for work and I have always worked nights and slept during the day. We have been like two ships passing in the night for over 25 years. He is thinking about semi-retiring (mostly because of the economy) and I would really like to start a new chapter in our lives. We will know when the time is right...and when that time comes...I want to hunt!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219983.html#msg219983

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Debo
It seems like everybody I talk to knows about some treasure legend that they were told about or heard about.

Thats where you want to start at. Write down every lead story and/or legend you hear. Pick the one that sounds the best to you and  start researching it. See if the people involved are real folks or just made up. Try to prove that there was a treasure. Did so and so have that kind of money to hide? Was there a robbery?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg219992.html#msg219992

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good thread!
I would also encourage you Debo! if I were you, I would try to find a local md'ing club, or t hunter club.  at least that way you can enjoy the hobby with others that are like minded.
i am fairly new to this myself,(about 6 yrs now) and have just really in the last year started looking for real leads, as in the ones that arent in the treasure books(not that all are just made up stories)
spent way too much time and money researching the famous stories, and finding nothing but dead ends.

if your hubby is a fisherman, and you allow time for that with his buddies, he should understand you spending time with the local treasure hunting club.
good luck and go for it!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220649.html#msg220649

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by foolsgold
I would try to find a local md'ing club, or t hunter club.

Thats good advice foolsgold. I am to much of a loner and recluse to join any clubs but think its a great idea for new folks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220659.html#msg220659

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i am a bit of a loner myself, and understand that! there are a couple of guys that i either have been out in the field with, or soon will be.
always have to build a relationship first, not the kind to kiss on the first date!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220661.html#msg220661

Offline DeboTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for the encouragement, foolsgold! Are most treasure hunters loners? I'm not really a social butterfly either...I dont get it. But then most of them don't get me. I always pictured myself as that crazy lady with a dog and burro wandering the hills with a pick and a shovel (and a metal detector) looking for something. Most people would think thats a waste of time but it sounds like fun and adventure to me. The whole social scene seems like a waste of time to me. I'm not trying to impress anyone (I doubt if I could anyway) and some of the games people play are hard to understand. I would rather be digging in the dirt or outside doing something by myself. It feels peaceful...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220696.html#msg220696

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Debo

I think you will find in time there is a very broad range of people with various personalities from host of different backrounds who treasure hunt.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220697.html#msg220697

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

anytime!
it might be a good idea to find a club or an individual or two on here or at the club for the stuff like Fletcher's.
save the solo work for coinshooting at a park or something
there is a place here to look for hunting buddies, if you dont like the idea of a club.

there are a lot of safety factors in getting out into the sticks alone.  best to go with another one or two
since we are talking Fletcher, some would be our great Texas rattlers, copperheads, or any other way you can imagine getting hurt out in the woods alone.

lot of things that can go wrong, and get a lot worse if you are alone!

thanks and good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220767.html#msg220767

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

and don't forget wild hogs, and cougers. Down around Abilene, Tx, they set up some still cameras to see what was killing their livestock and one photo had 7 or 8 of the supposedly solitary creatures eating on the same carcass. Can't find that link, but, here is another:

Please Register or Login

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/wildlife-resources/20299/Mountain-Lions-in-Texas

and they do like human meat, they think it "tastes like chicken", lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35898.msg220804.html#msg220804

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: