[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RebeccaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Pro
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Heading to San Antonio,Texas next week. Any lost Treasures here that a person can look for without getting in Trouble?  Kiss

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg215789.html#msg215789

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:05:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Alamo was attacked by an overwhelming army of Mexican soldiers. It's either a National Park or a State Park making the site off limits for detecting. A smart relic hunter will realize that a grand army of men would have to camp somewhere close by but far enough away to avoid being seen. That same smart relic hunter might look for what a Spanish trained army would look for in a safe camping area. Things like a water source, food for animals and available firewood for cooking all meet the basic needs of the troops.

Look for a place that would offer than and then look for a few relics.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg216441.html#msg216441

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

You may want to re-think your road trip.
If you knew San Antonio you would. Most of the area is off limits to metal detecting without a permit. You are not allowed to detect in the parks/schools/beaches/lakes and most private areas/properties. They are off limits as well.
If you own the property you may get away with it if you use a little discretion.
Head phones, night time, friends who own the property may be able to help you.
I only know of one nice find made by a friend, who had relatives there. She found a Republic of Texas dime in her grandmothers neighbors yard.

Golddiggers suggestions may be of some help but the city limits are quite broad down there.
The Hispanic population there do not want you in their neighborhood..........PERIOD!
My family has detected there many years ago and found out quick about the laws governing the use of metal detectors.
Just remember the private property hint and always seek permission. Permission may have to come in the form of a permit through a public office. Anything you find that may have some historical significance is subject to forfeiture,without compensation or even recognition. They are quite strict there.
So to sum up my suggestions, go elsewhere.
It is not worth the effort you have to put into it and put up with.
PS: We did not find anything worth our efforts when it was legal to use a metal detector back in the 60's. Just a few newer silver coins.
Also don't expect a desert environment you may be dissapointed. It is an oasis there really beautiful. The Alamo proper is in the down town area and is a park. Really not much to see unless you like to look at bullet holes in stone walls. All that is left of the Alamo is the Chapel and a few stone common areas.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg216444.html#msg216444

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Offline andefam
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OUt4gold is right here...I live in Minnesota but have tripped down to Texas (our second home!) many times.
Our Daughter is closing on a home there this week and we'll b e down there in two weeks to help her move the big stuff.

San Antonio city limits go WAY out....not like many cities with second and third ring suburbs...you are in San Antonio til you hit the county line 10 miles out or more.
I have heard they require permits but have never done any detecting there.....we head for the Gulf and enjoy the beaches.....

That said, IF I were to try detecting there, I'd get a mission tour map and follow the river way out to one of the various old missions. Look for private property around these and just knock on the door and ask. Same with many national battlefields......off limits but the areas right outside the fence are usually OK as long as you ask the owners (Trespass laws are quite strict in some states!).

Texas is huge....use your imagination. Any travellers 150 years ago stayed near water. The rivers haven't changed much so you can ask owners near rivers out in the country and you'll probably find a whole area history with stuff from every decade.....and maybe if you study the troop movements and do some historical reading, you will increase your odds of coming up with some cool historical finds. Truth be known, I'm a sucker for history and if I ever found something of significant historical value, I'd be quick to turn it over to that States historical society so everyone could enjoy it.

Again, the beaches are easier and almost as much fun, and usually much cooler! (and not as many rattlesnakes!)

G'luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg216452.html#msg216452

Offline RebeccaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all for the Info about San Antonio.. It was not like how I imagine it would be.. In town and on stone/concrete grounds, Buildings everywhere. Still have fun though on the River walk.  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg216828.html#msg216828

Offline andefam
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Take the time to do the Mission tour if you can....and take a camera. These old missions provide some of the most outstanding photographic opportunities I've ever seen....next week when we leave I plan to bring my old Nikon and a few rolls of black and white Plus-X pan film.

Treasure is where you find it!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35459.msg216830.html#msg216830

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: