[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm. I am clicking on the link and it takes me to Chron.com and then says:
"we're sorry, we are unable to display the blog post at this time. I will try to find a way around that.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg215498.html#msg215498

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Worked for me but just in case heres the story.

On June 14, 1924, four brothers from Texas robbed a Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul mail train. This mail train held three million dollars in cash, negotiable securities and jewelry. The four brothers, Dock, Jess, Joe and Willis Newton, haling from Uvalde, Texas, are America’s most successful bank robbers. Known as The Newton Boys, they robbed over eighty banks and six trains between 1919 and 1924, from Texas to Canada. They felt it was acceptable to rob banks because banks were insured. In their minds, banks and insurance companies were the biggest criminals of all. Amazingly, they never killed anyone, or robbed women or children. All they wanted was the money.

Their career-ending train robbery was a heist planned for just outside of Chicago; Rondout, Illinois, to be exact. The bandits boarded the train in Chicago, forcing postal clerks to surrender sacks holding millions of dollars in securities and cash. The Newton Boys knew they couldn’t pull off the heist alone. One of the robbery masterminds was William J. Fahy, a Chicago postal inspector once rated as one of the best detectives in the business.

Decades later in an interview conducted by Jack Maguire, Joe Newton said, “…You can’t lose when you’ve got a real-life cop bossin’ the job. It had to be the work of an ‘insider’…” Local police caught up with the gunmen a few days later, but not all of the money was recovered. There were a total of eight men convicted in federal court, sentenced within seven months of the train heist.

The story of the Newton brothers was made into a movie in 1998 by director Richard Linklater titled “The Newton Boys.” It starred Matthew McConaughey as Willis, Skeet Ulrich as Joe, Ethan Hawke as Jess, and Vincent D’Onofrio as Dock.

On a personal note, my nephew’s grandmother tells a story of some strange men appearing at the door of her childhood home in June, 1924. Her mother would not let them in, and news of the Rondout train robbery reached them the following day.

Continue reading on Examiner.com The Rondout Train Robbery - Chicago historic living | Examiner.com

Please Register or Login

http://www.examiner.com/historic-living-in-chicago/the-rondout-train-robbery#ixzz1oHKu2c9H

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg215507.html#msg215507

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Seldom, don't know why the link wouldn't work for me. I saw that movie. The Newton boys. The cash and securities are probably weathered away by now. Too bad is wasn't coins or bullion. Of course, if you documented your search and discovery, it would make for a nice movie, I bet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg215509.html#msg215509

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: