[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline oroblancoTopic starter
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The OTHER Lost Dutchman Gold Mine in Arizona

<NOT the one in the Superstitions linked to Jacob Waltz!   Shocked Shocked Shocked>

There are well over 1000 lost mines and bonanza ledges scattered over the western states, and nearly 300 in Arizona alone, so perhaps we ought not be surprised to learn that there is actually more than one Lost Dutchman mine legend including three in Arizona and one in Colorado, which has led to some confusion for treasure hunters and prospectors hunting for these lost mines.

The lost mine of Jacob Waltz, believed to be located in the Superstition mountains, almost certainly cannot be the same one as we are talking about here. I say this not only because of the region this other "Dutchman" was working in, nor the fact that it dates to a few years earlier than Waltz's story, <this Dutchman was well known in Wickenburg in the 1870's, Waltz's notoriety didn't arise until the 1880's> but because this Dutchman was found dead several years after Jacob Waltz had died.

One early version of this OTHER Arizona Lost Dutchman is this one; extract quote

Quote:
Quote:Posted by {author}
One variety of the "Lost Dutchman" story concerns the operations of a German who made his headquarters at Wickenburg, in the early seventies. <edit, 1870s he is referring to here not 1970s> He had a very irritating habit of disappearing from the camp once in a while, going by night, and taking with him several burros, whose feet would be so well wrapped that trailing was impossible. He would return at night, in equally as mysterious a manner, his burros loaded with gold ore of wonderful richness. Efforts at tracking him failed. The country for miles around was searched carefully to find the source of his wealth, which could not have been very far distant. The ore was not the same as that at Vulture. The location of the mine never became known to anyone, save its discoverer. He disappeared as usual one night, and never returned. The assumption that he was murdered by Apaches appears to have been sustained by a prospector's discovery near Vulture in the summer of 1895 of the barrel of an old muzzle-loading shotgun, and by it, a home-made mosquito gun stock. The gun had been there so long that even the hammer and trigger had rusted away. Near by was a human skeleton, bleached from long exposure. The next find was some small heaps of very rich gold rock, probably where sacks had decayed from around the ore, and then at a short distance was discovered a shallow prospect hole, sunk on a gold-bearing ledge. The ore in the heaps was about the same character as that which had been brought into Wickenburg in the early days by the "Lost Dutchman," but it didn't agree at all with the ore in the shallow prospect hole, which was not considered worthy of further development
.End quoted extract
<from Arizona, Prehistoric, Aboriginal, Pioneer, Modern: The Nation's Youngest
by James H. McClintock - Arizona - 1916 pp 392, online at Google books free, public domain
>

Now unless someone dug up old Waltz from his grave in Phoenix and set him up near the Vulture mine several years later, this can not be the same man or the same mine.

We can also rule out the very site where this Dutchman was found dead as the location of his mine, for the ore found in piles near his remains did not match the ore in the shallow prospect hole near his body, and gold ore is a bit like fingerprints in that no two ore deposits are identical; in fact a good geologist can identify which mine any ore sample came from just by a careful examination with a jeweler's loupe.

Speaking of geologists, studies done on the region around the Vulture mine, where this Lost Dutchman mine is located, have supported the contention that other very rich gold deposits are very likely to be found in the area. In fact the Arizona Geological Survey has a very interesting and informative article on the geology of the Vulture mine, free online at

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

Geology of the Vulture Gold Mine

DesertUSA has an excellent article on the famous Vulture mine at

Please Register or Login

The Vulture

This mine produced approximately 340,000 ounces of gold and 260,000 ounces of silver, a very rich gold in quartz deposit first discovered by yet another Dutchman named Henry Wickenburg. (Seems those German pioneers were excellent prospectors and miners!)

The area around Wickenburg is a known gold region, with placer gold being found in the Hassayampa river and many side gulches, the famous Vulture mine not far away, and in the nearby Black Rock district which has the Oro Grande and Gold Bar mines, while the White Picacho district includes part of the Wickenburg mountains; to the north of town are the Weaver and Martinez gold districts. In the White Picacho district, the Golden Slipper mine in particular had very rich ore, which indicates that the potential for rich gold deposits in this region is very good indeed.

Grants Stage station in Wickenburg 1874, the period when this Dutchman was active

{alt}

Who was this other Dutchman? Could it be one and the same with the man Cal Madden? Madden discovered a rich gold quartz deposit not many miles from the famous Vulture mine in 1878 in the Vulture mountains. He would slip out of town and elude any trackers very like our Dutchman story, and his body was found near Vulture Peak, about 6 miles south of the Hassayampa river. I suspect this is the Dutchman of this lost mine legend.

Beth and I have never hunted this particular Lost Dutchman mine though we have done some prospecting up the Hassayampa and found it a very promising area. While we don't have a full set of "clues" as we do with some other lost mine legends, a careful and diligent prospector may be able to locate this lost mine, perhaps even with the aid of some of the satellite or aerial photographs that are available today. The mine cannot have been any great distance from the town of Wickenburg for it was noticed that the Dutchman could leave town and return not long after, loaded with gold ore. Of course the old timers could cover more ground than most modern people can today, but we have motorized vehicles so we can 'cheat' a bit. I believe this lost Dutchman gold mine of Wickenburg could be located and rediscovered with a little research, a lot of leg-work and a goodly portion of good luck.

For maps of the area, check out

Please Register or Login

DesertUSA maps

Please Register or Login

http://www.desertusa.com/who/du_maps.html

So dear reader, I ask your opinions, experiences or any clues or tidbits you may have garnered on this Lost Dutchman which you would share with us. Thank you in advance,

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.   Great
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35850.msg218607.html#msg218607
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Wickenburg,1874.jpg

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have interest in the Lost Dutchman of New Mexico.

There seems to be a discrepancy of what Fort he shown up at.

The Doctor that supposedly attended him by one account would have been at Ft. Bayard just miles from me.

One of the party shown up at the Rio Grand town East Miles and Miles away.

The other in Arizona supposedly the origin of the exposition.

Using the Water Fall and Flat Plain above puts it in one of two locations that I know of.

One would be under a Lake and the other at the head waters of a National Monument.

Both in Reach of the  Ft Bayard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35850.msg218610.html#msg218610

Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:56:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire - I think I know the Dutchman of New Mexico you are referring to, the same fellow that some have theorized was the Dutchman member of the Lost Adams party, who left the mine before all the rest?  In other words Jacob Snively?  I don't have much info on where his gold mine was located and am far from convinced that he was the same Dutchman that went with Adams, Davidson and the rest.  May be worth a thread all by itself!

Good luck and good hunting amigo, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.   Great

Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35850.msg218614.html#msg218614

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Jacob Snively was the Doctor .    Records show he was at FT Bayard.  Only other folks there were Buffalo Soldiers.   

The only people the Apache Feared.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35850.msg218616.html#msg218616

Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I would have to respectfully disagree on what people the Apache feared, or at least held a healthy respect for; they certainly had respect for the Pimas and Maricopas after a couple of disastrous encounters like the massacre at Skeleton Cave or being driven off the cliff at Apache Leap.  But there are no Pimas or Maricopas in New Mexico either. 

I can't find a photo of Cal Madden but still looking, good luck and good hunting amigo I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35850.msg218935.html#msg218935

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: