[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hola amigos,

I am just a wee tad late to join the party here, my apologies for that - a big HOWDY to DJUI and Capn Bill, good to see ya (hope you are still around) and I do have a little I can add to this.

It is always difficult for the skeptics to accept that there could be anything to a lost mine story, especially this one.  I noticed statements about geologists saying no gold could be in the Superstitions, this is false.  Two of the three geologic studies done by the USGS are online, if I can find the linkee and anyone is interested I will post it or you can find them on the USGS publications site.  They did indeed find gold in a number of samples and locations.  In fact you can pan gold in Fish creek on the northern flank, but don't start ordering from the Sears and Roebuck catalog just yet for there is not enough gold there to make you good wages for mining it.  As to mines, well now that is quite another thing!

There are at least thirty mines in the Superstitions, mostly in the eastern and northeastern areas and fringes.  The world famous Silver King mine produced millions in silver in its heyday and is being looked at to reopen it for it never did run out of ore, just the price of silver got too low.  There are copper mines on the eastern fringe area too, some of the best in the world in fact, and in Arizona gold is always associated with copper.  A prospector friend of mine has a personal theory which I have not yet been able to disprove, and it goes that when you have volcanic calderas, <the ring around it, there are three large ones in the Superstitions and a couple minor ones> carry the metallic minerals in a pattern, with gold being the closest to the caldera, silver next farthest out, and copper the farthest.  That pattern seems to hold true in every site I have compared it on.  So we see copper at Superior and Globe, then silver at Silver King, so..... gold by his theory ought to be even closer or more westerly, right in the same area where Jacob Waltz supposedly had his mine.

One of the tests done by the USGS is called the Mercury Vapor test, and it was done by aircraft; the results of that test showed the presence of a rich gold deposit somewhere in the Superstitions, and suggests that it might be deeply buried.  It would be perfectly normal geology for a vein of that same ore to have cropped out at the surface.   Also, just west of what we call the Superstitions today is the Goldfield district with a good dozen gold mines of varying richness, including the famous Mammoth as mentioned earlier, but also the Bulldog, the Black Queen and Bluebird among others.  That area was considered a part of the Superstitions in Jacob Waltz's day, and in fact you can find it described as such in newspapers of his day.

Then there is Waltz himself; he was seen selling two burro loads of very rich gold ore in Florence, and in later years when his friends Julia Thomas and her adopted son Reinhard Petrasch were in deep financial trouble, he came up with thousands of dollars in gold ore to pay off her debt and save her business.  On his death, which occurred in Julia's bakery shop in the back room if memory serves, beneath his deathbed a candlebox was found that contained some 44 (or may have been 48, working from memory so don't take my word as final) pounds of very rich gold ore.  This turned up in the possession of Dick Holmes, who claimed that Waltz had given it to him, while Julia and Reiney claimed he stole it.  Either way, Holmes ended up selling that ore to finance his own search for the mine, keeping only a few pieces that were made into jewelry, including a match box that has appeared on television and book covers for it is quite beautiful. 

The only recent study done on those existing specimens was done by Dr Thomas Glover, and the two geologists he had examine it pronounced it to be mesothermic (a type of hydrothermal) but I would call it hypothermal, the only difference being in the size of the grains in the host minerals and the size is right on the borderline for the two types, however according to the fire assay done by Holmes, Waltz's gold ore was very low in silver compared to the gold content, while almost all mesothermal gold ore has a very high silver to gold ratio - one ounce to one ounce not being at all uncommon or even more, while Waltz's ore had over 300 gold to one of silver which is exactly in keeping with the hypothermal type deposits.

This all does not make a lot of difference except in how the ore body extends, for the most common type of gold deposit in Arizona is of epithermal type; these are formed very near the surface, often form lenses and with quartz usually colored greens, blacks oranges, strong coloring with tiny grain size of the rock.  This type of mine can be very rich in gold and can very easily pinch out.  Mesothermal and hypothermal type deposits are formed deeper and run far deeper, sometimes a mile or more, so are not easy to simply mine it all out.  So I have very strong doubts whenever I hear about someone having found the mine but all the gold was mined out - not very likely unless the mine ran down hundreds and hundreds of feet, and we know that Waltz never mined it any deeper than perhaps 15 feet at most.  In fact the opening was said to be no bigger than a barrel!

Now you may say, that is all well and good, but there is no proof that Waltz ever had a mine, he may have just been stealing the gold.  Several theories have been published on this idea, that Waltz was high-grading from the Vulture mine, or the Bulldog, or the Mammoth, or ___ (fill in the blank) and none of these theories will float, for Helen Corbin searched the employee records of the Vulture and Waltz never worked for them; also, an expert who examined the specimens of Waltz's gold, stated that it does not match the ore from any known source.  Gold ore is a bit like fingerprints, and an expert geologist can tell what mine any specimen came from by comparing with a collection of specimens from all known mines in Arizona. 

Then too, Waltz stood and pointed at the Superstition mountains and told his friends Julia and Reiney, that his mine was in those mountains.  Why would he tell his friends that if it were not there?  These people were his friends, friend enough that he was willing to cough up his own store of gold that he was keeping, to help them out.  It would be the height of cruelty to tell them that, if he had no such mine there.

Now you are certainly free and welcome to any opinion you may prefer, but there is absolutely gold in the Superstition mountains and you do not need to take my word for it, look up the USGS studies and see for yourself.  Heck the Palmer gold mine is in the Superstitions and produced some gold, and is right on the edge of the wilderness area.  Right inside of the Lost Dutchman State Park, a solid vein of gold has been discovered, that runs from the old Mammoth mine right under the highway and into the park - but DON'T try digging that vein out unless you want to be a guest of the State for some years!   The government has made it almost impossible for anyone to get legal claim to the mine, but I did say almost, for there is a possible loophole to pursue if you should happen to find it and I will explain.

Under the Wilderness Act, the government was required to have a geologic study done of the areas proposed to be included within the Wilderness to be thus created; any and all known mineralized areas were legally required to be excluded, which is why the borders of some wilderness areas are so cockeyed and erratic.  Were you so lucky as to find Jacob Waltz's gold mine, the possible route to a legal claim would be to prove (establish) that it is indeed a rich gold mine, and file a lawsuit to have the borders of the wilderness area adjusted to exclude the vein, as all mineralized areas were specificially supposed to be excluded by law from being within any Wilderness Area. 

I have also seen the deep skepticism from the notion that if anyone would have found it, it would be a local, and if it is common knowledge among the locals that there is nothing to it, then there can not be anything to it.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  The big majority of people do not have the slightest clue about what gold ore even looks like, and quite frequently mistake pyrites for gold, hence the name Fools Gold; heck right inside of towns some surprising strikes of rich gold ore have been made including one in Colorado a couple years back when a fellow was working on his basement.  People can be walking right over it for years and years.  Now add in this factor - Jacob Waltz made some considerable effort to conceal the mine!   He laid in a bed of ironwood logs at a depth of six feet, and filled in on top with rocks and earth, blending it in with the countryside so well that he claimed you could drive an Army pack train right over it and never see it!  Then too, he once told young Reiney, quote

"Reiney, you better listen!  That mine is hard to find, even when you know where it is!"

Apparently Reiney never did listen well enough for he never did find it, nor anyone else, except perhaps Walt Gassler, but that is for another post.  Waltz used ironwood for good reason too, for it is highly resistant to rot so his cover is very likely still holding in place, heck with over a century of time, a giant Saguaro could have grown on top of it.  You are NOT going to simply walk in and trip over it, nor are you going to spot it from aerial or satellite photographs (sorry amigos if that offends anyone, but it simply won't work).  It was well hidden and remains well hidden.

Very recently it became known that a certain individual who claimed to be the grandson of the other man in the room with Waltz as he lay dying (Roberts and Holmes were with him) and has provided a great deal of information, has turned out to be a charlatan who tricked a famous Dutchman author into writing a book filled with his falsehoods.  That author has passed away and cannot defend herself, but we are very much back to 'square one' for information, which goes to prove that whenever researching any lost mine or treasure, the oldest sources are generally the most reliable as they are closest to the events and persons.  So for books I would recommend:

The Lost Dutchman Mine by Sims Ely, a bit of a collectors item but "the" source book and first book on the topic; Ely actually interviewed the friends of Waltz which most authors did not or could not do

Curse of the Dutchman's Gold by Helen Corbin, wife of famous AZ former attorney general Robert Corbin, a life-long Dutch hunter

That will do for starters - and before anyone takes offense, no I am not some kind of an "expert" on this topic but have gone hunting the mine and done a fair amount of research on it.  So do not take my word on anything, look into it for yourself, and you may just find your feet trekking into the very beautiful and sometimes dangerous Superstition Mountains of Arizona

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco
I don't know if this will work, but it is a photo of the match box made from Jacob Waltz's gold ore
{alt}

PS (as if this post was not long enough already) I just would add this to anyone feeling discouraged by the severe restrictions imposed by the Wilderness Area - it is quite possible that the mine itself lies outside of the boundaries of the Wilderness Area, and thus would be open to claim legally.  After all, most of the known mines are right around the edges, and the area known as the Superstitions in the time of Jacob Waltz included everything between the Salt and Gila all the way out to Globe-Miami.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218438.html#msg218438
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKaGDsXdkriWW2VAM2OZqa3DjoAAiPQaBkf1HbA8nnwEI-YowOYA&t=1

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2012, 04:58:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Oroblanco

The lost Dutchman mine is perhaps the super star of treasure legends. Well known all over the world. With such popularity it brought a host of claims from various people exploiting the story for their own agendas, either to flog books, sell maps etc..And that was part of the problem with so many claims it is some times hard to sort the fact from the fiction? It suffers from what I call Yama syndrome  coined after the famous treasure legend in the Philipines. Many famous legends suffer from this.

However like most all treasure legends is a story behind the legend.

Your comments are as always interesting. Especially about the area that is regarded as the Superstitions to day in regards to the area that was considered part of Superstitions on the past. In regards to gold Field to north west, I think in the past that area would of been regarded as part of the Superstitions. It is interesting to note Charles Hall of Denver saw a boulder on top of a hill and paid $50000.00 for lease and mined 3 million worth of gold from that site near where the town of goldfield sprang up to support the mine.Clear from that example alone there is pockets of gold around near the superstitions.

Beautiful matchbox a treasure in itself. What a fantastic conversation piece?

As for your comments about Why would he tell his friends that if it were not there?  These people were his friends, friend enough that he was willing to cough up his own store of gold that he was keeping, to help them out.  It would be the height of cruelty to tell them that, if he had no such mine there.

There is another possability that Waltz as an embittered loner by nature used Julia for his own ends .Perhaps the comfort of a women and warm bed got the better of him as he got older? Maybe he saw them all as vultures only hanging around to get the location of the mine off him so he used them for his own ends?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218443.html#msg218443

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck wrote
Quote:Posted by {author}
As for your comments about Why would he tell his friends that if it were not there?  These people were his friends, friend enough that he was willing to cough up his own store of gold that he was keeping, to help them out.  It would be the height of cruelty to tell them that, if he had no such mine there.

There is another possability that Waltz as an embittered loner by nature used Julia for his own ends .Perhaps the comfort of a women and warm bed got the better of him as he got older? Maybe he saw them all as vultures only hanging around to get the location of the mine off him so he used them for his own ends?

Well perhaps, but there is no indication that Waltz and Julia had anything more than a friendship sort of relationship; one would think that if there were any kind of romantic involvement, that Reiney and the town wags of Phoenix would have spread that about like good news.  That did not prevent Hollywood from portraying it as a love triangle in "Lust for Gold" with Glenn Ford as Waltz however.

Jacob Waltz had filed on a homestead in what is today Phoenix in 1868; later in his life, the terrible flood of ? caught him at home and Reiney along with a neighbor had to go and rescue him.  He was sick and came down with pneumonia, and Julia put him up in a makeshift sick room.   It sure looks that he appreciated their kindly help, and when he learned that Julia was about to lose her bakery shop (her sole source of support since her husband had abandoned her, and she had obtained a divorce) Waltz went to his home and dug up thousands of dollars in gold ore that he had hidden about his place, selling it to pay off her debts.   
Waltz tried to tell Julia and Reiney how to find his remaining cache of rich gold ore, (he and his partner had three originally but he had emptied two) and his mine, but apparently they simply could not get it or he feared that they would not be able to find it so he made one attempt to take them to the mine.  They proceeded by horse and wagon, and the only important point he made to them was to bring along their old clothes for it was very brushy where they were going; they would go by wagon part way and then walk the rest.  The three of them proceeded to the Verde river and made camp for the night, Waltz telling them that they would be at the mine the next day, but during the night his illness grew considerably worse and they had to bring him back.  He died shortly afterward, but if he had not fallen sick there might not be a "lost" Dutchman mine today. 

So one has to wonder, if it were all being done out of mean-ness or to punish his friends, why he would go through the charade in ill health, of traveling through a hostile desert so far? 

Then too, John Mitchell found witnesses who saw Waltz selling the rich gold ore in Florence, so even if we toss out everything associated with Phoenix, there are still witnesses.  The remaining specimens from Waltz do not match any known source - so it had to come from a mine.  Even if Waltz was stealing it from some cache of Peralta gold, that gold still had to come from a mine in the first place.  I do not buy the whole Peralta saga as there is a possible explanation for that story, which does lead to a rich gold mine that is not lost but that is for another post.

Then there is Dick Holmes.  Holmes was beside Waltz as he lay dying, and he pumped the old man for information on how to find the lost mine.  A manuscript has been in public circulation for a while now called the Holmes manuscript, which supposedly tells the directions to the mine as Waltz told to Dick Holmes.  The problems are many with it, for even Brownie Holmes, Dick's son and partner who continued his father's search for decades, disowned the text.  So who wrote it?  We can not know.  But at any rate, by his own admission Dick Holmes tried tracking Waltz back to his mine, and got the surprise of his life when he peered through the brush into the barrel of Waltz's rifle, for old Jake knew he was being trailed and set a trap for him.  Holmes fled back to town and later encountered Waltz, who told him that while he personally like Dick, if he tried to follow him again he would kill him.  This tidbit of information suggests (to me anyway) that whatever directions Waltz may have uttered in his feverish, dying condition to Dick Holmes may well have been a punishment for a dry-gulching claim jumper like Holmes.   Holmes never found the mine, but even in his manuscript, by the directions you are supposed to go to First Water as your first stopping point, yet on the death of Waltz, where did Dick Holmes proceed to?  Hidden Water, which is on the opposite side of the Salt river (and outside of the Wilderness Area) and coincidentally on the same trail that he supposedly trailed Waltz in his attempt to follow him to the mine to steal it. 

Anyway there are two main versions of the Jacob Waltz mine location, the Julia Thomas/Reinhard Petrasch one and the Dick Holmes one, but a third one does exist and is a bit hard to find as it was not widely published; however Tom Kollenborn did write up an article on it not too long ago and Mitchell included it in his book that came out before Sims Ely's, and by this version there are no Peraltas involved and no large battle/massacre by Apaches, yet still is quite a tale.  By this other version, Waltz came into Florence which was then "the" place to go for it had the Arizona land office and all supplies could be purchased there, and hired a carpenter to build him a small portable drywasher.  He then used the drywasher to trace gold colors (tiny specks of gold eroded out of the host rock) back to the vein and thus found his mine.  According to several old timers living in the Pioneer Home whom were interviewed in the Depression (the Federal Writers Project, called the "Pioneer Interviews") it was no big secret that Waltz had a rich gold mine somewhere in a side canyon off of Pinto creek. 

<link to Tom Kollenborn's article>

Please Register or Login

Waltz At Pinto Creek

Now what is significant about this is that you can indeed pan gold from Pinto creek, in fact several active mining claims are on it today; the creek flows past several very rich copper mines (remember, in Arizona, gold is always associated with copper to some degree) and is very close to a silver district known by several names (Rogers, Randolph, Blue Sky-Hidden Treasure, Pine Grove among others) and in at least two of these silver mines some rich pockets of gold were struck at a certain level.  Not to say that one of these silver mines must have been the Dutchman's gold mine, though that theory has been proposed by some whom are strongly convinced.  But by the geology, that trail does show some promise, especially if you get out the maps and start comparing the known routes used by Waltz like following up the Salt river but on the north side, or being trailed by Holmes to Hidden Water.  Julia and Reiney took that northern route on their second attempt to find the mine too.

Regardless of whether Waltz was stealing gold from a Peralta cache or other Spanish treasure or he had simply found his rich ledge by the age-old methods of prospecting, the gold he sold was in the form of ore and that ore does not match any known source; this means there is a deposit of gold ore somewhere there that matches what he had, in other words a lost gold mine and that is what the legend is all about. 

One other point that you did not raise but I noticed in another thread, one frequently pointed to by the skeptics; that is if Waltz truly had a rich gold mine as he claimed, why then was he not living like a millionaire?  Why was he living on a fairly modest homestead, raising chickens and selling eggs?   That is not hard to figure out though many people think of treasure in terms of getting just as much as they could ever possibly get, not everyone thinks that way.  Many people are happy just to have "enough" - and some put away for hard times, which is just what it looks that Waltz was doing.  He had his own place close to town, he could go visit his friends at the bakery and swap some fresh eggs for bread, and converse with them in his native language, German.  He had a stock of gold put away for emergency, as did many old time prospectors and miners for there was no such thing as Social Security in those days.  He even made a compact with his neighbor (Starrar) to care for him and in the event of his death, would then inherit the homestead, but things went awry in that agreement.  Then too, up until 1886, to go off prospecting in the wilderness was to risk your life to the Apaches whom were still on the warpath, and Waltz lost his own partner to a surprise Indian attack.  So there was very real danger that we do not have an equivalent today.  If you have enough money for your old age and are able to live comfortably, why would you run the chance of being killed and scalped just to add more to the pile?  Perhaps some would, but not all people think that way, for money is not everything. 

So was Jacob Waltz a pathetic loner, a vicious murderer who killed seven men to get and keep his gold mine, <including his own nephew> a man that would send city-born friends that had helped him in the last days of his life off on a wild goose chase where they could very easily die, or was he something else?   There is no solid evidence of his supposed murders.  He could have easily shot Holmes dead and claimed self defense but he didn't pull the trigger.  No one who knew him doubted that he could be dangerous.  And the same man went and dug up his own 'pension fund' to help save his friends from bankruptcy.   

Sorry for getting carried away again,  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218593.html#msg218593

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Oroblanco

No need for apologies for long posts, fascinating to read a different take on events.

I have 2 hypothetical questions.

If some one actually found the Dutchman mine tomorrow would it stop the hoards of people looking for the mine? Or has the story surpassed being a treasure story to become some thing more of a dream of hope in the lives of those wanting to dream?

Thanking you in advance

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218642.html#msg218642

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you oroblanco for reviving this thread. I needed something to really get my rusty old blood pumping. I, too, would be willing to give it a go to find the old mine, but, I am near crippled with bad knees, out of shape, and having had a minor heat stroke, not too keen on the high heat of the area in the summer months, so, would be almost useless as a laborer, lol. (This is how my work resumes look also, lol) And, like several of you have mentioned in so many words, it's the dream that keeps some of us going. What else is there, but the dreams, lol. And, hardluck, it seems like, I had read on this site, several threads or whatever saying it had been found, but, it didn't make the major headlines you would think it would, so, my dreams live on. (of course I am not a thief or bad person, but maybe, I would not tell anyone, unless I could file a legal claim, get book and movie rights, etc. and I am sure most others wouldn't either.)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218653.html#msg218653

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hola amigos!

Hardluck, to answer your question (in part, will return with more in a moment) I think that if the mine were found tomorrow, a goodly number of those who are and have been searching would stop searching.  A few might be tempted to try to sneak in to steal from it, but most like us would honor the finder's rights even if the government would not.  That many might well quit is unfortunate and I will explain in a moment.

Your second hypothetical I can only give my own opinion but I think the original (and still remarkable) story has already passed into legendary status, a quest for 'the dream' that will continue to send hope-filled treasure hunters into those mysterious mountains for generations to come even if the mine were found and absolutely proven to be Waltz's mine.

I wish to make a correction here to that post above; I was writing it from memory and when I got to the terrible flood, I could not recall the date so kept on writing, thinking that it would come to me.  Then on re-reading it over, I thought I will go ahead and post it and surely in a few minutes it would come to me.  Well I could not recall it and now cannot correct that part but anyway the flood was Feb 25-26, 1891 (yes I had to go look it up, simply could not remember it to save my life) and Waltz passed away on Oct. 25th, 1891.  That eight months time span is where the big part of the clues and statements related to the mine originate, and his one attempt to take Julia and Reiney to the mine, but unfortunately Jacob had taken sick from the cold soaking he got in the flood and never did fully recover.

FloweroftheSea - I am on your wavelength too amigo, I blew out seven discs in my back some years ago and that has forced me to do a lot more engineering for any kind of treasure hunting, and last fall did a bit more damage (don't ask - it was carrots at fault!   Shocked Shocked Shocked :Smiley) that left me getting round on a cane.  But like many treasure hunters I am hard-headed and have managed to get away from the cane and planning to go back out again.  Anyway one does not need to be the packer or man wielding the pick to be a partner in finding a lost mine or treasure, an 'armchair' partner can contribute very much just by doing research, studying maps and photos etc.  We all have something we can contribute.   Just my opinion of course.

Back to that point about the Lost Dutchman mine and the chance it could be found.  If you browse the old newspapers from Arizona for the years after Waltz's death, you will find at least a dozen different announcements that the mine has been found.  In virtually all of those cases, the finder brought in some nice gold ore samples to back up the claim.  None of them turned out to actually be the Lost Dutchman, but in almost every case turned out to be a rich gold mine in its own right.  The Mormon Stope (close to Goldfield) was one example and had somewhat similar ore but not identical, another was on the slopes of Four Peaks with a deep mine shaft and epithermal ore that pinched out and so on.  In modern times many more have also claimed to have found the mine, but in almost every case had NO gold to show for it; they most frequently find an old prospect hole dug by earlier Dutch hunters that had little or no gold at all in it, and was dug only the basis of the spot matching up with whatever "clues" the original Dutch hunter was going by, not that there was gold.  

I am taking the long way around here but anyway let us suppose that the mine of Waltz were found tomorrow - would that mean there is no point in going searching?  No, in fact there are several other lost mines in the same general region!  In fact several are very frequently mixed in with the story of Waltz by the assumptions of treasure hunters and authors who have no idea about mines or geology, so the black quartz gold ore with specks of visible gold "like the stars in the sky" that was the secret mine of Apache Jack was mistakenly mixed up with Waltz's white quartz gold ore, and the rose quartz gold of Wagoner, located somewhere near Miner's Needle is mixed up too.  Then there is the Mexican-Indian woman who remembered going into the mountains with her husband to dig the gold, and she remembered how they would "winnow" it out on a blanket using the wind to separate it, and the gold pieces were the size of grain kernels, well that is a classic description of a dry placer gold deposit and dry placer mining method, when Waltz's mine was a lode not a placer but that did not stop Sims Ely (a newspaperman by trade) from making the conclusion that it must be one and the same.  Then there is the lost mine of Joe Deering, with the mine entrance wide open and numerous pieces of ore left laying around the entrance; the ore was shown to several at Silver King before Deering was killed in an accident, well the chances are that is NOT the same mine as Jacob Waltz had for he went to some lengths to conceal the mine, certainly would not have left it laying wide open with pieces of rich ore laying about.  None of these facts have stopped the many treasure writers from happily mixing and blending all those different mines and stories into that of Waltz, mixing the various clues and landmarks, directions etc - all failing to discern that they are in fact quite different and almost certainly not located in the same place.

This is without even mentioning the legendary Peralta mines!  There is virtually no record of any Peralta mines in the Superstitions, at least I never could find any documentation to support that story.  Even the famous massacre that supposedly happened at Massacre Field may be a totally unrelated incident.  There is a newspaper account of two Peralta brothers that were attacked NEAR the Superstitions, one was wounded and the other killed, they had been prospecting NEAR the Superstitions (almost certainly by Goldfield, for tools marked with Peralta initials were found by Mormon Stope) when they were surprised and attacked.  

So bottom line is that were the real Jacob Waltz gold mine found and proven (by a comparison of an ore sample with the known existing specimens, done by a competent geologist) there is still good reason to go searching for there are several other lost mines in the same region to hunt for.  What is in a name, after all?  Do we really care if we call a rich gold mine the Dutchman or the Bunny Wabbit?  It doesn't make a lot of difference to me personally, but that is just me, and quite a few rich mines have been found by prospectors whom were out searching for a famous or not-so-famous lost mine, that turned out not to be the mine they were hunting but made them rich anyway.  Isn't a nice payoff at least a part of the desired result?  I mean, suppose you went hunting the Lost Dutchman and found an incredibly rich silver mine that was outside of the wilderness area and would make you set financially for life, would you be deeply disappointed?

There is a great deal of chaff mixed in and layered on top of the original story of Jacob Waltz and it is quite a task sifting through it to get at the truth.  Many authors have directly attached Jacob Weiser to Waltz, which is making an assumption for Waltz never did state the name of his partner killed by Indians, and neither did Weiser mention the name of his partner when he was telling his remarkable story to Dr. John Walker.  It is a fairly safe conclusion that they are talking about each other, and the details in their stories that dovetail so nicely may also help someone find the mine.  For in both stories, Waltz and Weiser that is, they were at the mine when a mishap with one of their mules resulted in the mule eating up their supply of flour.  Waltz went to get a fresh supply at Adams Mill, which was located fairly close to Florence on the Gila river.  This is important, especially when you are looking at a site within five miles of Weavers Needle, for Weiser fled from his Indian attackers and came out very close to where the modern town of Sacaton is today.  Both are on the Gila river, and if the mine were really located in the western end of the Superstitions as so many have proposed (and searched) then why did not Waltz go to Phoenix for supplies, and why did not Weiser flee to Ft McDowell or Phoenix?  Something is not right in the "clues" that are leading folks to hunt in the western part of the range, or both Waltz and Weiser were traveling a long way in the wrong direction for some reason.  

Sorry for getting carried away AGAIN, this topic fascinates me and I don't expect to change the mind of all the skeptics, heck why add to the competition!  Just kidding amigos, honestly I think everyone should go off on a real treasure hunt at least once in their life, for there is nothing quite like it and makes memories that last whether you make a find or not.  

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee Coffee

PS - (as if that was not enough verbiage!) just a bit more on the possibility of the LDM getting found.  Suppose the whole Lost Dutchman legend was a complete fiction, a story made up to sell more beer and motel rooms for tourists.  It would STILL be a good thing, for if it gets you out there searching, it is vastly increasing your chances of making a find!   You might be looking for pink unicorns or a ledge of diamonds that never existed, but the fact that you are out there looking is giving you a much greater chance that you will find something great!  However despite the tons of fiction that has been layered on top of the story of Jacob Waltz, there is a reality at the root of it, a vein of gold that has never been found, and you can know this for a fact by the specimens which still exist.  So even if Waltz never had any gold mine, that gold used to make the matchbox, cuff links and other pieces which were saved, came from an unknown source that is out there waiting for someone to find it again.  Maybe you will be the lucky one to find it!  But it won't be easy amigos, not by a long shot!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218939.html#msg218939

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:30:17 pm by oroblanco »

Offline loke
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow! Oro, you _have_ done your homework!! I think the above is the best 'synopsis' I have ever seen on the whole LDM! I believe a li'l round of applause is in order! Wink

Now - you mentioned the Waggoner's ledge somewhere - that is a story that has always fascinated me. Somehow, its presence seems to be a lot more narrowed down than the LDM, though it is certainly in the same general area - somewhere between Needle Canyon and LaBarge - maybe slightly south of the needle ...? I know that many thinks it's the LDM, but most definitely, the waggoner's gold was in rose quartz (OK, I have the reference to that somewhere - just can't find it at the moment). It might perhaps be worthwhile to start a topic on that alone - it doesn't have the same kind of 'ballast' as the Waltz story ...

Actually some of the references in link below could be a good starting point ...

Please Register or Login

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-dutchmans-mine/200195-wagoner-lost-ledge.html

Loke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218945.html#msg218945

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Loke - great to see you!  I hope you will soon be 'hooked', and invite the rest of our friends to join us here.

Thanks for the very kind words, that means a lot coming from you.  I wish I knew where Wagoner's ledge is - and suspect that those whom have hunted for it have looked a bit too far south.  Remember, Wagoner was coming in from the north, cutting straight across when he happened on the ledge, or at least one version has it that way.  There is a great article (for anyone interested) at:

Please Register or Login

The Lost Wagoner Mine

Maybe we should start a new thread, focused on Wagoner's rose quartz gold ledge?   Wink

Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

PS Loke - this forum even has that "New Replies" function for the truly lazy folks like ME!   Shocked Embarrassed :Smiley Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218948.html#msg218948

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 02:15:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello loke welcome to thunting. Pleased to see you have enjoyed the posts.

Hello Oroblanco

Some interesting points you made especially about the flood that happened in 1891. That as you infered perhaps change the terrain considerbly. Regardless of truth behind the legend I do not think it is a bad thing and region or town profiteering from a legend. Many towns would shiveled up and died with out them. That is what tourism is all about daring people to dream what if?

I agree with your interesting point that there are many other treasure lost mine stories attributed to the Dutchman story.

Thanks for the lost wagoner story. Good idea for clarity I will post a new thread for that story in treasure legends. So have fun with that story too.

Happy hunting.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg218951.html#msg218951

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard loke from Texas and thanks for the cool link.
Thanks for the eloquent and informative information (is that a double positive, lol?) oroblanco

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,550.msg219023.html#msg219023

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to: