[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:25:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mines which seem to be lost for ever often represent legends of hidden treasures. There was often a dying prospector who had a map of such a lost mine. The story of the Lost-Dutchman Mine fmatches this description like no other. Like many other prospecting stories in North- and South America the story of the Lost-Dutchman Mine starts with a Conquistador; a mining engineer called Antonio de Espeja. It was in 1582 when this Jesuit found silver somewhere in Arizona. It is proved, that it were the Jesuits who first worked in the mine until they got killed by Apaches.

Gold In The East Of Phoenix

Around the middle of the 19th century the family of a certain Enrico Peralta discovered Gold somewhere in the Superstition Mountains. The position of the mine must have been somewhat around 40 miles in the East of Phoenix.

One day, while transporting their gold, almost the whole family got slaughtered by the local Apaches in a fight that lasted for 3 days. Some years later the two German immigrants Jakob Walzer and Jakob Wisner helped one of the surviving family members, a certain Don Miguel, during a brawl in Sonora.

Don Miguel was so impressed by this, that he told them the story of the gold mine.

He even offered them a share if they went back with him to look for some of the stil hidden gold. The two Germans agreed, and returned in 1871, richer by $60,000. Peralta had a nice pension, while Wisner and Walzer where soon out of money again. That is why both of them returned to the mine in 1879. As they found two Mexicans working there, they just shot them down.

When Walzer returned to the camp one day, Wisner was missing. Arrows of the Apaches and blood covered clothes showed what had happened to him. In a panic Walzer fled from the camp, running through the thick forest.

However Wisner survived the Indian raid and had his wounds treated by a doctor. It seems that he gave his story of the mine away to the Doc before he died.

Jakob Walzer

Meanwhile Walzer moved to Phoenix. In 1880 two young former soldiers rode into the town Pinal, their bags filled to the top with gold. As they were asked where they had found the gold, they replied that they had happened to find a left gold mine. Most people believed now that the two had found the Lost-Dutchman Mine - named after Walzer, whose ancestors were originally from Holland.

The news spread like a fire, and the two men hurried up to return to the mine. A few days later their naked dead bodies shot by a US-Army colt where found . Some locals and Walzer were suspected to have committed this crime, but there were no proves.

A Last Confession

In 1890 Walzer himself made a last effort to return to the mine in order to recover the gold that he once had hidden together with Wisner. With gold nuggets worth around $1500 he returned for the last time to his home as he would pass away just one year later.

Before he died he did not only confess the killing of his nephew Julius who got to know the story but he also described the exact location of the mine which seemed to lie in a canyon not far away from Weaver's Needle. At least two of Walzer's listeners, Dick Holmes and Reinhart Petrash, searched unsuccessfully for the mine.

Indeed there are some clues that there must once have been some mining activity in the area round Weaver's Needle but the mine itself was never found again. A possible reason might be that Walzer himself could have tried to hide the entrance.

Another story says that it were the Apaches who destroyed every clue to the position of the mine before they were driven out of the mountains in 1885. Nevertheless, today happen still strange things in the Superstition Mountains. Two hunters reported in 1928 that someone had tried to slay them with boulders.

In 1931 Adolpho Ruth aged 66 tried to find the mine using a compass and a map which he thought was a copy of Peralta's treasure maps. Some months later his body was found - dead, and without the map but a bullet in the head. An unknown sniper tried to shoot two hikers in 1932. And even in 1959 a treasure hunter named Stanley Fernandez was shot by his partner Benjamin Ferreira after a brawl.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg43993.html#msg43993

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline doberman
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

111.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I thought a psychic Peter Hurkos (or something like that) had/has found the mine??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg55003.html#msg55003

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That must be one damned hard mine to find-so many folks have tried to locate it over the years and no one has been able to get that gold yet... Thumbs Down Violent Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg55018.html#msg55018

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats because today its actually under a Walmart parking lot in the burbs.
 Pheonix has grown a bit  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg55854.html#msg55854

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:18:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually it;s under the 8th hole sandtrap at a golf course.... Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg55876.html#msg55876

Offline countryboy1170
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:15:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Its out there somewhere but were

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg61180.html#msg61180

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now if we knew where it was it wouldn't be the  "Lost" dutchman mine now would it?

Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg62603.html#msg62603

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 01:15:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A few months ago I was going thou my old treasure mag's dating back to the 70's  every month or two there was a report of some one finding the Dutchman. This is the best treasure story of our time, but so much has been added to the facts over the years who can tell whats what. Several lost mine story's have been mixed together and are now all believed to be part of the Dutchman's story. Till some one starts at the beginning and research's it from scratch disregarding  all the books and false leads that have been published in the last 100 years no discovery will be made unless by accident.
 When I started TH [1969]the only books out there were Karl von Mueller's  he was not a big believer in lost mines and I guess his ideals rub off on me. But there is something there maybe not a mine but something. And good luck to the person who will take the time to start over.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg64286.html#msg64286

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Seldom

The lost Dutchman story has always intrigued me. It is one of those treasure stories that have become a superstar in the treasure legends world. The first treasure story that comes to mind when I think about the United States is the lost Dutchman. Its legend is well known beyond the borders of the United states.

But what is the real story behind the myth and legends? It has always been one of those stories a little daunting to research. There are so many claims and counters claims with a whole selection of weird and wonderful characters over the years connected to it that have made all types of made astounding claims.

What is true what is fiction?

It is a story of many facets and perhaps that is why I find the story so interesting..Perhaps we can get an interesting thread debating this topic.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg65297.html#msg65297

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Hardluck you on.
After I watched y'all work on that 1946 plane crash I could get into another great thread like that. I will get out my books and notes on it get caught up and we can start something.
The story does read like a novel just a good treasure story

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg65309.html#msg65309

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: