[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ah the glorious life of the treasure hunter!  Grin

I can not find record's of him selling more then a few thousand dollars of ore in 10 years. If his mine was so rich why didn't he work it or sell it?

Now thats a very valid question. The more I read about this one the more I think it's more yarn than fact.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68339.html#msg68339

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, I think your 3 group analysis is pretty accurate.   I'll go you one better and say that a lot of people in either group 1 or group 2 are unlikely to be persuaded by what people in group 3 uncover.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68343.html#msg68343

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 10:54:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

True so True
group 1 or group 2 are unlikely to be persuaded by what people in group 3 uncover.
Peralta, operated a mine or mines in the area. Fact. There has been some large scale mining in the area over the last 100 plus years. Fact. The large mining companys mined the Peralta mines years ago?Huh???

How did the Dutchman and the Peralta legends get all mixed together?Huh?

Old Dutch had a little gold not much but a little. Fact
He high graded? I think so.
He found a cache? I think so, maybe, he$$ I don't know.

Here is another theory that I also like. Dutch was a outlaw or front man for outlaw gang and the mine story was a cover.

I just can not get past the fact that if he was setting on the richest mine in the US he would not have sold more gold from it.

I want to kick this thread back up and add.

Looking though old news papers it seems that every few months a hiker is lost while looking for the LDM.
He is found days or weeks later sometimes alive sometimes not. Lot or press lot of news reports. I think a lot of this is bull, people will do anything to keep The LDM in the press good for business.
I live in a tourist town I know how it works less then 10% of drowning's are reported on the news or in the paper's, you never read about robbery,s or muggings Why bad for the tourist trade.   
But let someone find a gold coin or a nice fossil and its front page for days why good for the tourist trade.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68385.html#msg68385

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 11:07:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, 
     I've got no problems with most of the Lost Dutchman tales and speculations.   Personally, I lean toward one of the following:
1) the Dutchman was retrieving gold from a cache either he created himself with gold he high-graded from the Vulture or another mine he worked OR he was taking gold from a cache that someone else created and which he found
2) the Dutchman was working a rich pocket which may or may not have been in the Superstitions
3) the Dutchman stumbled across the remains of a Spanish era pack train that had been wiped out by Indians.   Once again, this may or may not have been in the Superstitions.   All we know for sure is that is the direction the Dutchman headed and the direction from which he returned.

On the other hand, I have serious reservations with all things Peralta when that name is linked to Arizona and/or western New Mexico.   I won't say that I can't be convinced that there is a legitimate Peralta connection, but given the history of forgery and attempted forgery associated with the Peralta name in Arizona, I'd say skepticism is called for.   As far as I know the only legitimate Peralta grant inside what is now the continental United States would have been in California.......BUT, that doesn't keep key elements of the Peralta legend from being true----such as Spanish mines in the area, and pack trains that get wiped out on their way to Mexico City.   I'll accept those as highly probable.  I just think the wrong names are attached to the legends.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68389.html#msg68389

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just think the wrong names are attached to the legends.

That's a good point BA.

On the other hand, I have serious reservations with all things Peralta when that name is linked to Arizona and/or western New Mexico.   I won't say that I can't be convinced that there is a legitimate Peralta connection,

I believe the Peralta's operated mines in Arizona did they leave all the maps and markers. No why would they.

1) the Dutchman was retrieving gold from a cache either he created himself with gold he high-graded from the Vulture or another mine he worked OR he was taking gold from a cache that someone else created and which he found.

That's the theory I am going with for now

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68419.html#msg68419

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 02:20:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

BA and Seldom you have both made some very interesting and valid points on the topic.
I am not sure if the Peralta of legend is connected to the Peralta family of California or the original Peralta family of Santa Fe.

I have a seen a document transferring mining lease of two mines. "The Aquila" and the " Aldama" dated may 3rd 1863. Two names on the records Miguel Peralta and Pablo Peralta.

Are they some how connected to Peralta of legend, the Californian Peralta family or the Santa Fe? If it is then perhaps Peralta was never killed in any massacre in 1847?

Was it not alleged in the Peralta land fraud case that the Santa Fe Peralta family had died out long before the date of the alleged 1847 massacre?

All of these question perplex me on the validity of the Peralta story. That and no contemporary newspaper reports of the massacre or any reports of the bodies found by the army patrol has come to light?

If there is no evidence yet surfaced to confirm the Peralta legend then where does this leave us with the alleged Peralta stones?

There are many questions that need to be asked to understand this complex but interesting treasure legend.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68767.html#msg68767

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Are they some how connected to Peralta of legend, the Californian Peralta family or the Santa Fe? If it is then perhaps Peralta was never killed in any massacre in 1847?

The Peralta of California did not show up till 1776 and have no history of mining, so for now I am going to leave them be. 

The city of Santa Fe was founded by Don Pedro de Peralta, New Mexico's third governor this branch needs more research they were involved in mining.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68810.html#msg68810

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 04:22:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is some research leads if anyone is really interested enough to research the Dutchman and Peralta story to its fullest extent.

_____ , (1856) Report of the Sonoran Exploration and Mining Co., Railroad Record Printers,
Cincinnati, Ohio.

_____ , (1881) Report of the Silver King Mining Co., A. L. Bancroft and Co., San Francisco,
California, pp. 47.

_____ , (1898 to 1930), City Directory, Phoenix, The Phoenix Directory Company, Phoenix,
pp 267.
_____ , (1901) Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona, Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago,
pp. 1034.
_____ , (1930) History of Arizona, Record Publishing Co., Phoenix, Arizona, 4 volumes.
Altshuler, C. (1969) Latest from Arizona, Arizona Pioneers? Historical Society, Tucson, Ariz.
pp. 293.
Altshuler, C. (1981) Chains of Command, Arizona and the Army, 1856 ? 1875, The Arizona
Historical Society, Tucson, Ariz. pp. 80.

Altshuler, C. (1983) Starting with Defiance, Nineteenth Century Arizona Military Posts, The
Arizona Historical Society, Tucson, Ariz. pp. 80.

Anthony, J., Williams, S. and Bideaux, R. (1977) The Minerology of Arizona, University of
Arizona Press, Tucson, Ariz., pp. 241.

d?Autremont, H. (1971) West of Dawn, Exposition Press, Jerico, New York, pp. 187.

Bailey, P. (1971) Golden Mirages, Acoma Books, Ramona, Calif., pp. 353.

Bancroft. H., (1889) The History of Arizona and New Mexico, The History Company, San
Francisco, 2 Vol.

Bancroft. H., (1962) The History of Texas and the North Mexican States, Horn and Wallace,
Publishers, Albuquerque, New Mexico, pp. 829. (Facsimile of 1889 edition).

Barnard, B. (1952) The Story of Jacob Walzer Superstition Mountain and its Famed Lost
Dutchman Mine, Rancho Del Superstition, Apache Junction, Ariz., pp. 70.

Barnes, T.C., Naylor, T.H. and Polzer, C.W. (1981) Northern New Spain, A Research Guide,
University of Arizona Press, Tucson, Ariz., pp. 147.
365 Bibliography

Beck, W. (1962) New Mexico, A History of Four Centuries, University of Oklahoma Press,
Norman, Oklahoma, pp. 363.

Blake, (1883) Description of the Silver King Mine of Arizona, Tuttle, Morehouse, & Taylor,
New Haven, Conn., pp. 50.

Blair, R. (1975) Tales of the Superstitions, Arizona Historical Foundation, Tempe, Ariz.,
pp. 175.

Bolton, H. (1936) Rim of Christendom, A Biography of Eusebio Francisco Kino Pacific Coast
Pioneer, The MacMillion Co., New York, pp. 644.

Bolton, H. (1952) Spanish Explorations of the Southwest, 1542-1706, Charles Scribner?s and
Sons, New York, pp. 407.

Bowman, J. and Heizer, R. (1967) Anza and the Northwest Frontier of New Spain, Los Angeles,pp. 182.

Bourke, J. G. (1891) On the Border with Crook, C. Scribner?s and Sons, New York, pp. 491.

Bourke, J. G. (1968) With General Crook in the Indian Wars, Stanford University Press, Palo
Alto, Calif. pp. 59.

Browne, J (1864) Adventures in the Apache Country, A Tour Through Arizona and Sonora, 1864, reprnted: University of Arizona Press, Tucson, Arizona 1974, ed. Donald Powell,
pp. 297.

Carlson, J. and Stewart, E. (1995) Hiker?s Guide to the Superstition Wilderness, Clear Creek
Publishing, Tempe, Arizona, pp. 320.

Cherry, C. and Cherry J. (1866) Cincinnati and Sonora Mining Association, Maps and Reports.
Wrightson & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, pp. 150.

Corbin, H. (1990) The Curse of the Dutchman?s Gold, Foxwest Publishing, Phoenix, Ariz.,
pp. 237.

_____, (2002) The Bible on the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine and Jacob Waltz, Wolf Publishing Co.,Prescott, Arizona, pp. 377.

Cookridge, E. (1967) The Baron of Arizona, The John Day Co., New York, pp. 304.

Cumberland, C. (1972) Mexican Revolution, The Constitutionalist Years, University of Texas
Press, Austin, Texas, pp. 449.

Dunning, C. (1966) Rocks to Riches, Hicks Publishing Corp., Pasadena, Calif. pp. 406.

Eckhardt, C. (1982) The Lost San Saba Mines, Texas Monthly Press, Austin, Tex. pp. 171.

Ely, S. (1953) The Lost Dutchman Mine, William Morrow and Co. New York, pp. 178.

Farish, T. (1915) History of Arizona, The Filmer Brothers Electrolyte Company, San
Francisco, Vols. I - VIII.

Fibel, (1971) The Peraltas, Spanish Pioneers and First Family of the East Bay, Oakland, Calif.,
pp. 29.

Garman, R. (1975) Mystery Gold of the Superstitions, Lane Printing and Publishing, Mesa,
Ariz., pp. 92.

Gardner, E. S. (1965) Hunting Lost Mines by Helicopter, William Morrow & Co. New York,
pp. 287.

Gentry, C. (1968) The Killer Mountains, Comstock Editions Inc., Sausalito, California,
pp. 246.

Higham, C.F. (1946) The True Story of Jacob Walzer and his Famous Hidden Gold Mine, the LostDutchaman, McMath Co., El Paso, Texas, pp. 55.

Hill, J. (1912) The Mining Districts of the Western United States, United States Geological
Survey, Washington, D.C. pp. 309.

Hodge, H. (1965) 1877 Arizona as it Was, The Rio Grande Press, Inc., Chicago, pp. 273.
(Reprint of 1877 first edition.)

Holmes, G. (1999) The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Part II: The Holmes Manuscript,
Cowboy Miner Press, Phoenix, pp. 125.

Jennings, G. (1973 ) The Treasure of Superstition Mountain, W. W. Norton and Co., Inc., New
York, pp. 247.

Bibliography 366
Kollenborn, T. (1981) Superstition Mountain, A Ride Through Time, Arrowhead Press,
Phoenix, Ariz. pp. 210.

Lee, R. E. (1976) The Making of the Motion Picture The Lost Dutchman Mine, Dick Martin Co.
Inc., San Diego, California, pp. 80.

Lloyd, J. W. (1911) Aw-aw-tam Indian Nights: Being Myths and Legends of the Pimas of Arizona,The Lloyd Group, Westfield, New Jersey, pp. 241.

Lovelace, L. (1956) Lost Mines and Hidden Treasures, The Naylor Co., San Antonio, Texas,
pp. 252.

Marlow, T. (1965 ) Superstition Treasures, Tyler Printing Co., Phoenix, Ariz., pp 64.

McClintock (1916) Arizona: Prehistoric ? Aboriginal ? Pioneer ? Modern, S.J. Clarke,
Publishing Co. Chicago, 2 Vols.

Mitchell, J. (1933) Lost Mines of the Great Southwest, Journal Co. Phoenix, pp. 174.

Mitchell, J. (1953) Lost Mines and Buried Treasures Along the Old Frontier, Desert Magazine
Press, Palm Desert, Calif., pp. 234.

Northrup, M. (1976) Spanish-Mexican Families of Early California: 1769-1850, Southern
California Genealogical Society, Burbank, Calif., Vol. I, pp. 337.

Northrup, M. (1984) Spanish-Mexican Families of Early California: 1769-1850, Southern
California Genealogical Society, Burbank, Calif., Vol. II, pp. 380.

Officer, J. (1987) Hispanic Arizona, 1536?1856, The University of Arizona Press, Tucson,
Ariz., pp. 462.

Peterson, D. and Jinks, J. (1984) ?Superstition Wilderness, Arizona? Wilderness Mineral
Potential, Assesment of Mineral-Resource Potential in U.S. Forest Service Lands Studied
1964-1984, Geological Survey Professional Paper 1300., ed. S.P. Marsh, S.J. Kropschot,
and R.G. Dickinson, Unites States Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C., Vol.
1, pp. 113-116.

Powell, D. 1960) The Peralta Grant, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, Oklahoma,
pp. 186.

Probert, T. (1977) Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West: Bibliography and Place Names,University of California Press, Berkeley, California, pp. 593.

Sayles, E. (1968) Fantasies of Gold, University of Arizona Press, Tuscon, Ariz., pp. 135.

Shaw, A.M. (1968) Pima Indian Legends, University of Arizona Press, Tuscon, Ariz., pp. 111.

Sikorsky, R. (1983) Fools? Gold, Golden West Publishers, Phoenix, Ariz. pp. 143.

Schaefer, L.E. (1980) Dead Men Do Tell Tales, Stories from the Diary of Frank Fish, Amador
Publishing Co., Chino, Calif., pp. 80.

Shamberger, H. (1982) Goldfield, Nevada Historical Press, Carson City, Nevada, pp. 240.

Shank, T., Frodke, R., and Ingebork, I., (1986) W?rttemberg Emigration Index, Salt Lake City
Ancestry, Salt Lake City, Utah, 7 Vols.

Sheridan, M. and Sheridan, J. (1984) Recreational Guide to the Superstition Mountains and theSalt River Lakes, Impression Makers, Tempe, Ariz., pp. 86.

Spring, J., (1966) John Spring?s Arizona, (ed) Gustafson, A., University of Arizona Press,
Tucson, pp. 326.

Storm, B. (1939) Trail of the Lost Dutchman, Goldwaters Publishing Co., Phoenix, Ariz.,
pp. 114.

Storm, B. (1946) Thunder Gods Gold, Southwest Publishing Co., Phoenix, Ariz., pp. 167.
Summerhayes, M. (1960) Vanished Arizona, 4th edition, Arizona Silhouettes, Tucson, Ariz.,
pp. 273.

Swanson, J. and Kollenborn, T. (1981) Superstition Mountain, A Ride Through Time,
Arrowhead Press, Phoenix, Ariz. pp. 210.

Terrell, J. (1972) Apache Chronicle, World Publishing, New York, pp. 411.

Vredenburgh, L., Shumway, G. and Hartill, R. (1981) Desert Fever, Living West Press,
Canoga Park, Calif. pp. 323.

Waltz, R. (1977) The Waltz Genealogical Record, Elmira Quality Printers, Inc., Elmira, New
367 Bibliography
York.

Ward, H. (1828) Mexico in 1827, S. and R. Bently, London, Vol. I, pp. 591 & II, pp. 730.

Weber, D. (1992) The Spanish Frontier in North America, Yale University Press, New Haven.,
Conn., pp. 579.

Wellman, P. (1954) Glory, God and Gold, a Narrative History, Doubleday & Co., Garden City,
New York, pp. 402.

Wells, E. (1927) Argonaut Tales, The Grafton Press, New York, pp. 478.

Wilburn, J. (1990) Dutchman?s Lost Ledge of Gold, Publications Press, Mesa, Ariz., pp. 32.

Wilson, E., Cunningham, J. and Butler, G. (1967) Arizona Lode Gold Mines and Gold Mining,
The Arizona Bureau of Mines, Bulletin 137, The University of Arizona Press, Tucson,
Ariz., pp. 254.

Young, O. Jr. (1970) Western Mining, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 342.

Zarbin, (1997) Two Sides of the River: Salt River Valley Canals, 1867-1902, Salt River Project,Phoenix, Ariz., pp. 230.

Unpublished Manuscripts, Papers and Letters

Alkire, F. (1940) A Road to Yesterday, Manuscript, Archival Collection of Phoenix
Museum of History, Phoenix, Arizona, pp. 22.

Alyor, C. (1957) Chuck Aylor Manuscript, pp. 12, Author?s Collection.

Bark, J. (1938) The Bark Notes, Ely Family Papers, Author?s Collection, pp. 86.
Edwards, B. Family Papers and Notes, privately held.

Ely, S. (1946) Letter to Louis Bourguignon re: Doctor Thorne?s date of death, Author?s
Collection.

Fish, J. (1896) The Fish Manuscript, GDC, Tempe, Arizona, 3 vols.
Crandall, R. (1996) Taped Interview by author.

Gassler, W. (1983) The Gassler Manuscript, GDC, Superstition Mountain Historical Society,
Tempe, Arizona.

Hayden, T. (no date) Aaron Mason, Hayden Biographical Collection, Arizona Historical
Foundation, Arizona State University Libraries, Tempe, Ariz.

_____ (no date) Abraham Peeples, Hayden Biographical Collection, Arizona Historical

_____ (no date) Andrew and Jacob Starrar Biographical File, Arizona Collection, Arizona
State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public Records.

_____ (no date) Jack Swilling Biographical File, Arizona Collection, Arizona State
Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public Records.

_____ (no date) Jacob Waltz Biographical File, Arizona Collection, Arizona State Archives,
Department of Library, Archives and Public Records.

_____ (no date) Robert Forbach, Haden Biographical Collection, Arizona Historical

_____ (no date) George Roberts Biographical File, Arizona Collection, Arizona State

_____ (no date) Richard Holmes, Sr. Biographical File, Arizona Collection, Arizona State

International Genealogical Index, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Kollenborn Papers, GDG, Superstition Mountain Historical Society, Tempe, Arizona.

Milton Rose Papers, GDC, Superstition Mountain Historical Society.
Morrow, A. (1970) Al Morrow Manuscript, pp. 48, Author?s Collection.

Patricia Hicks Collection, Patricia Hicks, Weaverville, Trinity County, California.
Roberts, M., Family Papers, privately held.

Rose, Milton, (1978) Golden Rainbows, manuscript, Author?s Collection, p. 89.

_____ (1978) Fervent Romances in Seathing Mexico, manuscript, Author?s Collection, p.
Bibliography 368

Ruth Collection, GDC, Superstition Mountain Historical Society, Tempe, Arizona.
Ruth, E. (1930s?) ?Fervent Romances in Seething Mexico?, GDC, Superstition Mountain
Historical Society, Tempe, Arizona.

Ruth, E. (1930s ? ) ?The Story of the Mexican?s Gold Mine?, GDC, Superstition Mountain

Susan Baker Foutain Papers, Humboldt Room, Eureka City Library, California, 33 vol.
Thorne, Abram, (1875) Certificate of Baptism and Application, Church of San Felipe,
Alburquerque, New Mexico.

Thorne, Dr. A., Thorne Collection, Greg Davis Collection (GDC), Superstition Mountain
Journals and Periodicals

_____, ( ) Albuquerque Baptisms, Archdiocese of Santa Fe 1706-1850, New Mexico.

_____, (1982) Pankin Map, Superstion Mountain Journal,, 2:1, p. 26-27.

Bagwell, M. (1954) ?The Lost Dutchman Mine?, Desert Magazine, Jan. 18-19.

Clark, C. (1925) ?History of the Lost Dutchman Mine?, Arizona Mining Journal, March 30,
1925, vol. 8, no. 21, pp. 11-12.

David, L. and Lewis, I. (1942) ?Found Key to World?s Richest Gold Mine?, Mechanix
Illustrated, Feb. 3, pp. 5-40, 171.

Davis, G. (1991) ?Government Documents Pertaining to Jacob Waltz?, Superstion Mountain
Journal, 10, pp. 32-45.

_____, (1997) Silverlock and Goldleaf, Superstition Mountain Journal, 15, pp. 6-27.
Glover, T. (1992) The Del Shay Story, History or Legend? Superstition Mountain Journal, 11,
pp. 9-25.

Higham, C. (1973) ?The True Story of Jacob Walzer and his Famous Hidden Gold Mine
(The Lost Dutchman),? The Arizona Sheriff, 27:22, 6-32.

Kearney, J. (1992) ?A Death in the Superstitions, The Fate of Adolph Ruth?, The Journal of
Arizona History, Summer, pp. 117-52.

Kildare, Maurice (1969) ?Lost Ingots from the Ajo Mine?, Old West, Winter, pp. 20-3, 55-9.

Kollenborn, T. (1985) ?John Pipps and The Soldiers Lost Mine?, Superstition Mountain
Journal, 4,37-8.

Lerch, T. (1968) Our Most Active Member, Continental Comments (Lincoln Continental
Owners Club), vol. 93, pp. 4-7.

McCarthy, J., Vaughn, W., Learned, R. and Meuschke, J. (1969) ?Mercury in Soil Gas and
Air - A Potential Tool in Mineral Exploration?, Geological Survey Circular 609, United
States Geological Survey, Washington, D.C.

_____, (1972) ?Mercury Vapor and Other Volatile Components in the Air as Guide to Ore
Deposits?, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, vol. 1:2, pp. 143-162.

_____, (1986) ?Geochemical Exploration for Mineral Deposits?, Encyclopedia of Materials
Science and Engineering, Vol. 3 (of 7), pp. 1924-1929.

_____ and Reimer, G. (1986) ?Advances in Soil Gas Geochemical Exploratoin for Natural
Resources: Some Current Examples and Practices?, Journal of Geophysical Research,
91:12, pp. 327-338.

Nortrop, M. and Temple, T. (ed) (1960) ?The Los Angeles Padron of 1844 as Copied from
the Los Angeles City Archives?, Journal of the Historical Society of Southern California,
56, pp. 360-417.

Rose, M. (1982) ?The Last Days of Jacob Waltz?, Superstition Mountain Journal, 2:3, pp. 5-6.

Scholes, F. (1932) Problems of Early Ecclesiastical History of New Mexico, New Mexico
Historical Review, VII:1, pp. 32-74.

_____, (1935) Civil Government and Society in New Mexico in the Seventeenth Century,
Historical Review, X:2, pp. 71-111.
369 Bibliography

_____, (1935) The First Decade of the Inquisition, New Mexico Historical Review, X:3, pp. 195-241.

_____, (1936) Church and State in New Mexico 1610-1650, New Mexico Historical Review,
XI:1, pp. 9-76.

Public Documents

Arizona State:

Bureau of Vital Statistics (1910) Original Certificate of Death, John Chuning, Arizona State
Board of Health, (Originally Arizona Territorial Board of Health).

_____, (1917) Original Certificate of Death, Julia Schaffer Isreal, Arizona State Board of
Health.

Office of the Attorney General (1985) Investigative Files: Robert Jacobs.
Arizona Teritory:

Office of the Govenor, Petition to Govenor Goodwin for Protection from Indians, Randall
District (First), 1864 (?), RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives
and Public Records.

_____, Petition to Govenor Goodwin for Protection from Indians, Randall District (Second),
1864, RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public
Records.

MaricopaCounty, (1878) Records of Deeds, Book 3, RG107: SG5, Arizona State Archives,

_____, (1883) Records of Deeds, Book 7, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department
of Library, Archives and Public Records.

_____, (1883) Deed Book 9, RG107: SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library,
Archives and Public Records.

_____, Records of Deeds, Book 9, 1883, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of
Library, Archives and Public Records.

_____, Records of Deeds, Book 14, 1889, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department

_____, Records of Deeds, Book 15, 1890, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department

Maricopa County (1872, thru 1895) Great Register, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives,

Maricopa County (1878) Index of Grantors and Grantees, RG107: SG5, Arizona State

_____, (1890) Misc. Grantors, Book 4, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of

_____, (1891) Misc. Grantors, Book 4, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of

Maricopa County (1872) Index to Misc. Records, RG107: SG5, Arizona State Archives,

_____, (1872) Misc. Records, Book 1, RG107:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of

Maricopa County (1885) Justice Court, Divorce Action, Ida Roberts vs. William Roberts:
RG107: SG4, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public
Records.

_____, (1891) Justice Court, Divorce Action, Book M4, Julia Thomas vs. Emil Thomas,
RG107: SG4, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public
Records.

_____, (1891) Justice Court, Divorce Action, Julia Thomas vs. Emil Thomas, RG107: SG4,
Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public Records.
Bibliography 370

Maricopa County (1877) Probate Court Proceedings, RG107:SG8, Arizona State Archives,

_____, (1884) Probate Court Proceedings, RG107:SG8, Arizona State Archives, Department

_____, (1917) Probate Court Proceedings, RG107:SG8, Arizona State Archives, Department

Maricopa County (1864) Special Arizona Territorial Census, RG 6, Arizona State Archives,

_____, (1872) Special Arizona Territorial Census, RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department

_____, (1874) Special Arizona Territorial Census, RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department

_____, (1882) Special Arizona Territorial Census, RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department

Maricopa County, Superior Court, M. Womser et al. vs. The Salt River Valley Canal
Company, 1890, RG107:SG8, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives
and Public Records.

Maricopa County ( 1872 thru 1895) Tax Rolls, RG107:SG1, Arizona State Archives,

_____, (1876 thru 1895) Tax Assesment Rolls, RG107:SG1, Arizona State Archives,

Pinal County (1885) Justice Court, Inquisition upon the Remains of Joseph Deering
Deceased, Coroner?s Proceedings, RG111:SG5, Arizona State Archives, Department of

_____, (1885) Justice Court, 1959, Inquest upon the Remains of Robert St. Marie Deceased,
Coroner?s Proceedings.

_____, (1970) Justice Court, Inquest upon the Remains of Al Morrow Deceased, Coroner?s
Proceedings.

Pinal County (1984) Medical Examiner?s Office, Report on Walter Gassler.

Pinal County (1934) Superior Court, Affidavit of Petitioner, Declaration of Intention for
Citizenship, RG111:SG8, Arizona State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and
Public Records.

Yavapai County (1865) Book of Mines, Book B, Walnut Grove District, Sharlott Hall
Museum, Prescott, Arizona.

_____, (1864) Book B-1, Mining Records Number Three of Mines, Sharlott Hall Museum,
Prescott, Arizona.

_____, (1891) Book of Mines, Book 31, Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott, Arizona.

Yavapai County (1891) Book of Deeds, Book 40, Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott, Arizona.

Yavapai County (1863) Journal of the Pioneer and Walker Districts, Book A, Sharlott Hall
Museum, Prescott, Arizona.

_____, (1864 ) Journal of the Turkey Creek Mining District, Laws and Regulations, Sharlott
Hall Museum, Prescott, Arizona.

Yavapai County (1868) Property Valuation and Assessment Rolls, RG113:SG1, Arizona
State Archives, Department of Library, Archives and Public Records.

Yavapai County (1913) Superior Court, Insanity Docket, RG113:SG8, Arizona State

_____, (1869) Tax Assesment Rolls, RG113:SG1, Arizona State Archives, Department of

_____, (1864) Special Territorial Census, RG6, Arizona State Archives, Department of

_____, (1869) Tax Assesment Roll, RG113:SG1, Arizona State Archives, Department of
371 Bibliography

Yuma County (1861) Books of Claims, La Paz Mining District, RG114:SG5, Arizona State
California:

Los Angeles County (1893) Index of Deaths, County Recorder.

_____, (1893) Probate of the Estate of Aaron Mason, County Recorder, .

Trinity County (1867) Miscellaneous Records, Book K, County Recorder,.
Nevada State:

Department of Corporations (1960) Articles of Incorporation MOEL Inc., Carson City,
Dec. 6, 1960

Texas:
Mitchell County (1883) Marriage Records, Department of Vital Statistics.
United States:

Circuit Court of the United States (1848) Natchez, Mississippi, Declarations of Intent to
Become a Citizen.

_____, (1909) In and For the Northern District of California, Antonio Maria Peralta, et. al.,
Complainants vs. United States of America, et. al., Defendants, Second Bill of
Complaint No. 14766.

Department of Commerce (1860) Decennial Census, California.

Department of Commerce (1900) Decennial Census, Kansas.

Department of Commerce (1850) Decennial Census, New York.

_____, (1860) Decennial Census, New York.

_____, (1880) Decennial Census, New York.

Department of Commerce, (1870) Decennial Census, Territory of Arizona.

_____, (1880) Decennial Census, Territory of Arizona.

_____, (1900) Decennial Census, Territory of Arizona.

_____, (1910) Decennial Census, Territory of Arizona.

Department of Commerce, (1860) Decennial Census, Territory of New Mexico.
_____, (1870) Decennial Census, Territory of New Mexico.

_____, (1880) Decennial Census, Territory of New Mexico, .

Department of Commerce (1963) Local Climatological Data: Southern Arizona, 1876 - 1930,
Weather Bureau.

Federal Court (1861) First District, Los Angeles, California Record Book No. 89.

Federal Tract Book (1868) Salt River Baseline, Township 1 North, 3 East.

Securities and Exchange Commission (1970) Regional Office, San Francisco, California,
Litigation Releases 3046 and 3074.

United States Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Industry, Personnel Record,
Adolph Ruth File, United States Office of Personnel Management, OPF/EMF Access
Unit, St. Louis, Missouri.

_____, Bureau of Animal Industry, Personnel Record, Erwin Ruth File, United States Office
of Personnel Management, OPF/EMF Access Unit, St. Louis, Missouri.
Mexico:

Estado del, Sonora (1766-1805) Padrones del Estado de Sonora, Mexico Archivados en el
Archivo Franciscano de la Biblioteca Nacional de Mexico.

Estado del, Sonora (1780) Libro de Titulos de Sonora y Sinaloa, Archivados, Hermisillo.

Newspapers

_____, (1864) ?Story of Don Peralta and His Mexican Mine Located near Nopal and
Bibliography 372

Armstrong Lodes in the Black Canyon Placer Country?, Arizona Miner, Prescott,
Sept. 7-21.

_____, (1868) ?Local Intelligence? The Miner, Prescott, Mar. 7.

_____, (1869) ?Mining News? The Miner, Prescott, Apr. 24.

_____, (1869) ?Mining News? The Miner, Prescott, Sep. 11.

_____, (1874) ?Noteworthy?, Arizona Citizen, Tucson, Dec. 19.

_____, (1875) ?From the Salt River Valley?, Arizona Citizen, Tucson, Dec. 12.

_____, (1876) ?Local Mining Affairs?, Arizona Citizen, Tucson, Jan. 8.

_____, (1877) ?Mining Notes?, Arizona Sentinel, June 9.

_____, (1878) ?Mining News?, Arizona Miner, Prescott, Jul. 25.

_____, (1883) ?Rodger?s District?, The Pinal Drill, June 16.

_____, (1883) ?Local Intelligence?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, July 12.

_____, (1883) ?Resources of the County?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, July 19.

_____, (1884) ?Sale of the Right Bower Mine? Arizona Weekly Gazette, Phoenix, Jan. 21.

_____, (1884) ?A Mexican Murdered? Phoenix Daily Herald, June 18.

_____, (1884) ?Foul Murder: AMexican is Killed by a Supposed Friend?, Arizona Gazette,
Phoenix, 1884, June 18. (also carried in the Arizona Weekly Gazette, June 19.)

_____, (1884) ?$100 Reward?, Arizona Weekly Gazette, Jul. 1.

_____, (1884) ?Death of a Pioneer Arizonan? Phoenix Herald, Sep. 27.

_____, (1884) ?Death of a Pioneer? Arizona Gazette, Oct. 2.

_____, (1885) ?Local Intelligence?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, June 1.

_____, (1885) [Joe Deering Obituary], Pinal Drill, Sept. 28.

_____, (1885) ?Water Spout?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, Oct. 14.

_____, (1886) ?Communication, Tonto Arizona Territory?, Arizona Silver Belt, Oct. 9.

_____, (1886) ?Local News? Arizona Daily Gazette, Nov. 9.

_____, (1887) ?Mining Excitement ...? Arizona Daily Gazette, Jun. 4.

_____, (1887) [Thomas Advertisement], Phoenix Daily Herald, Apr. 22.

_____, (1889) ? Local Lines? Phoenix Herald, June 17.

_____, (1891) ?After the High Tide?, Phoenix Daily Herald, Feb. 20. (reprinted:Phoenix
Weekly Herald, Feb. 26.)

_____, (1891) ?Obituary of Jacob Waltz?, Phoenix Daily Hearld, Oct. 26.

_____, (1891) ?Obituary of Jacob Waltz?, Arizona Daily Gazette, Phoenix, Oct. 27.

_____, (1892) ?A Queer Quest: Another ?Lost Mine? Being Hunted by a Woman?, The
Arizona Daily Gazette, Phoenix, Aug. 27. (reprinted: The Arizona Weekly Gazette,
Phoenix, Sep. 1; The Arizona Weekly Enterprise, Sep. 1.)

_____, (1892) ?The Lost Mine?, The Arizona Republican, Phoenix, Sep. 9.

_____, (1893) ?Another Star Eclipsed?, The Arizona Daily Gazette, Mar. 21.

_____, (1893) ?Another Pioneer Gone?, Tempe News, Mar. 25.

_____, (1893) ?Rich Nuggets? Arizona Republican, Jun. 25.

_____, (1893) ?Superstition Success?, Arizona Daily Gazette, Oct. 27.

_____, (1896) ?Unclaimed Letters?, Phoenix Daily Herald, Sept. 22.

_____, (1896) ?Lost Mines?, The Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, Feb. 4. (Reprinted:
The Arizona Daily Citizen, Tucson, Feb. 20.)

_____, (1899) ?Peralta Reavis Confession?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, Apr. 1.

_____, (1901) ?A Mysterious Pair?, The Arizona Republican, July 2. (And Arizona Weekly
Republican, Jul. 4.)

_____, (1902) ?With this issue ...?, The Prospect, Prescott, Nov. 8.

_____, (1903) ?The Schaffer Religion?, Arizona Republic, Jan. 9.

_____, (1903) ?Crazed by Religion?, Arizona Republic, Mar. 28.

_____, (1903) ?Old Men of Mystery? Arizona Republic, May 22.

_____, (1904) ?Arizona?s First Journalist Dead?, The Phoenix Enterprise, Nov. 17.

_____, (1904) ?Local News?, Mohave County Miner, July 2.
373 Bibliography

_____, (1906) ?Lost Mines of Arizona ?, The Arizona Republican, Oct. 28.

_____, (1907) [John Chuning?s discovery of gold], Florence Tribune, Dec. 7.

_____, (1908) ?A Quarter Century Ago?, Arizona Gazette, Phoenix, Aug. 20.

_____, (1909) ?A Misspent Existence?, Arizona Republican, Apr. 26.

_____, (1909) ?Superstition Miners Forced to Separate?, Arizona Republic, Apr. 28.

_____, (1909) ?Mines of the County?, Mohave County Miner, May 22.

_____, (1909) ?A Dead Man Found?, Arizona Republic, Aug. 2.

_____, (1916) ?Big Rebel Gold Mines Are In New Hands?, Prescott Journal-Miner, May 16.

_____, (1919) ?Getting Data With Which History of War to be Written ?, Arizona Republic,
May 11.

_____, (1919) ?Geologist Falls in Mountains, Breaks Hip, Lies in Agony 4 Days?, San
Diego Union, Dec. 22.

_____, (1921) ?Pioneer Reunions First Suggested by R.J. Holmes, Jr.?, The Arizona
Republican, Apr. 13.

_____, (1921) ?R.J. Holmes Senior Came in 1851?, The Arizona Republican, Apr. 13.

_____, (1922) ?Oldest Settler in Arizona Pioneer of 2 Western States? Arizona Republican,
Apr. 12.

_____, (1922) ?Grand Jury Returns 7 Indictments Saturday?, The Arizona Republican,
July 2.

_____, (1929) ?Helped Make Arizona Safe for Pioneers?, The Arizona Republic, Apr. 10.

_____, (1931) ?Death of Another Pioneer? Arizona Republic, Apr. 12.

_____, (1931) ?Pinal Officers Hunt for Babe Ruth?s Uncle?, Arizona Blade Tribune, Jun. 26.

_____, (1931) ?Grim Facts Bolsters Old Legend of Bad Medicine?, Bisbee Daily Review,
Jul, 11.

_____, (1931) ?Reward for Missing Prospector Increased?, Arizona Blade Tribune, Jul. 10.

_____, (1931) ?Indian Legend Bolstered Up by Grim Facts?, Phoenix Gazette, Jul. 16.

_____, (1931) ?Ruth?s Death Trail is Found by Posse?, Phoenix Gazette, Jul. 16.

_____, (1931) ?Ruth Murdered Officers Say?, Phoenix Gazette, Jul. 27.

_____, (1931) ?Skull Believed that of Missing Prospector Found in Mountains?, The
Arizona Republic, Dec. 19.

_____, (1932) ?Find Body of Lost Prospector?, Phoenix Gazette, Jan. 8.

_____, (1932) ?Ruth?s Body Taken from Superstitions?, Phoenix Gazette, Jan. 9.

_____, (1959) ?Crash Injures Three Seriously on Apache Trail Today?, Apache Sentinel,
Aug. 21.

_____, (1959) ?Lust for Gold Revives Old West Spirit in the Superstitions?, Apache
Sentinel, Oct. 30

_____, (1986) ? ?Crazy Jake? Pleads Guilty?, Apache Junction Independent, Aug. 27.

Banta, A. (1894) ?Dr. Thorne Mine?, Arizona Enterprise (Phoenix), Feb. 1, 1894.

Barney, J. (1951) ?Lost Dutchman Mine Unverified by Man Who Knew Jacob Waltz?,
Arizona Republic (Phoenix), April 15. (Reprinted: Phoenix Herald, Apr. 8.)

Bicknell, P.C. (1886) ?Superstition Mountains, Old Myths and Legends Dispelled? Arizona
Daily Gazette, Aug. 10.

_____, (1894) ?A Mythical Mine?, Saturday Review, Phoenix, Nov. 17.

_____, (1894) ?A Lost El Dorado?, Kansas City Star.

_____, (1895) ?One of Arizona?s Lost El Dorados?, San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 13.

_____, (1895) ?Dutch Jacob?s Mine?, Saturday Review, Phoenix, Aug. 22. (Reprinted: Arizona
Daily Gazette, Aug. 22; Arizona Saturday Review, Aug. 24; and The Yuma Bee, Sep. 4.)

Brown, R. (1931) ?Grim Fact Bolsters Old Legend of Bad Medicine as Prospector Dies?
Bisbee Daily Review, Jul. 11.

Clark, C. (1924a) ?Lost Mines of Arizona?, The Miami (Arizona) Silver Belt, Oct. 24.

_____, (1924b) ?The Doctor Thorne Gold Mine?, Arizona Republic (Phoenix), April 9, 1924.

Dean, P. (1970) ?Rock Scratches May Solve Superstition Mystery?, Arizona Republic, Jan. 14.
Bibliography 374

_____, P. (1970) ?On One Thing All Can Agree ? The Lost Dutchman Is Lost?, Arizona
Republic, Jan. 15.

James, V. (1986) ?Fool?s Gold: Con Man Gets 10 Years for Bilking 2 in Lost Dutchman Mine
Ripoff?, Arizona Republic, Oct. 15.

McCarthy, J. (1931) ?Prospector Who Went Alone Into Apache Country After Treasure Tells
of Experiences?, The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, May 17.

_____, (1931) ?Letter ? Voice of the People?, The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, Jul. 22.

Mosher, C.L. (1889) ?Mount Superstition?, San Francisco Daily Examiner, Oct. 27.

Wagnor, D., (1986) ?Vein Tapped?, Phoenix Gazette, Mar. 17.

_____, (1986) ?Indictments Unearth Lode of ?Crazy Jake? Mysteries?, Phoenix Gazette,
Mar. 18.

_____, (1986) ?Dozens of Doctors Glad to Nibble at Lure of Treasure?, Phoenix Gazette,
Mar. 19.

_____, (1986) ?Hired Hand Claims to Have found Peralta Treasure?, Phoenix Gazette,
Mar. 20.

_____, (1986) Some of Jacob?s Stories Ring at Least Half-True?, Phoenix Gazette, Mar. 21.

_____, (1986) ? ?Crazy Jake? Dazzled Women with Tales of Riches?, Phoenix Gazette, Mar. 22.

Maps: Topographic, Survey, Military and Geologic

Arizona Bureau of Mines, (1959) Geologic Map of Pinal County, Arizona, Tucson, Arizona,
Arizona Bureau of Mines, University of Arizona.

_____, (1959) Geologic Map of Maricopa County, Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, Arizona Bureau of
Mines, University of Arizona.

Barney, J. (1931 ) Sketch Map Showing Some of the Earliest Homestead Entries in the Salt River Valley.

Conrotto, E. (1963) ?Peralta Dutchman? Lost Desert Bonanzas, Desert Southwest
Publishers, Palm Desert, California, location map, cartography: Norton Allen,
pp. 66-69.

Dyer, C. (1885) Birds Eye View of Phoenix and Maricopa County, Arizona, Schmidt Label and
Litho Co., San Francisco, Calif. (reproduction).

U.S. Army, (1866/?67) Trail System of the Verde River, Four Peaks and Superstition
Mountains Area, Ref.: B43, Green Park the National Archives, Washington, D.C. (one
of a set of 11 maps).

_____, (1867) Field Map, Based on Reconnaissance by Col. Ilgos, Green Park the National
Archives, Washington, D.C.

_____, (1875) Department of Arizona, Sheet 1, Corps of Engineers, Green Park the National
Archives, Washington, D.C.

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, (1985) Superstition Wilderness, Mesa,
Arizona.

U.S. Geological Survey, (1906) Western United States.

_____, (1948) Picket Post, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,
Colorado or Washington, D.C., U.S. Geological Survey.

_____, (1955) Iron Mountain, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,

_____, (1956) Goldfield, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,

_____, (1964) Cook?s Mesa, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,

_____, (1964) Mormon Flat, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,

375 Bibliography
_____, (1964) Red River, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic), Denver,

_____, (1966) Weaver?s Needle, 7.5 Minute Series Quadrangle, Arizona (Topographic),
Denver, Colorado or Washington, D.C., U.S. Geological Survey.
Treasure Maps

Note: Treasure maps and purported treasure maps are often notoriously ambiguous in
their dating. For example, the famous Peralta-Fish Map is commonly dated to 1848; however,
there are no known documentation of its existence before the 1930s at the earliest, and
perhaps not until as late as the 1950s. The dates given below should all be considered tenuous.

_____, (unknown) ?Bark and Ely Map #1?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz., Rose Collection.
_____, (unknown) ?Bark and Ely Map #2?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz., Rose Collection.
___, (Pre-1900) ?Minas del Oro Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz., Greg Davis and John Burbridge Collection.
_____, (Pre-1900?) ?The Ortiz Map?, author?s collection.
_____, (Pre-1900) ?The Walker-Weedin Map?, Source: author from private copies of the
original).
_____, (Circa 1900s) ?The Julia Thomas Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz., Kollenborn Collection.
_____, (Circa 1930s) ?The Profile Map,? Source: Don?s Club, Phoenix, Ariz.
_____, (Circa 1930s) ?Barry Storm ? Ruth Map? Source: Superstition Mountain
Historical Society, Tempe, Ariz.
_____, (1947) ?The Two Buttes Map? Source: Superstition Mountain Historical Society,
Tempe, Ariz.
_____, (Circa 1940s/1950s) ?Abe Reid Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz.
_____, (Circa 1940s/1950s) ?Roy Bradford Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain
_____, (1960s) ?The Johnson Walker Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain Historical
Society, Tempe, Ariz., Kollenborn Collection.
Davis, G. and Edwards, M. (1980s) ?Pankin Map?, Source: Superstition Mountain
Gentry, C. (1968) ?The Locator Maps?, The Killer Mountains, Comstock Editions Inc.,
Sausalito, California, pp. 246.
Higham, C. (1973) ?The Holmes Map? Source: ?The True Stroy of Jacob Walzer and his
Famous Hidden Gold Mine (The Lost Dutchman),? The Arizona Sheriff, 27:22,
pp. 6-32.
Peralta, M. (1848) ?The Peralta-Fish Map?, Source: Linda Peralta.

Good reading and good luck hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg68991.html#msg68991

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck you been busy, hell of a list. With all the info we have posted some one has a great place to start the hunt. But I think I am finish with it for awhile, but I did pick up a couple of leads on other treasures in the area I will look into and post updates on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg69017.html#msg69017

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,  I'm with Seldom on this.   That is a heck of a reference list.  Anyone seriously looking for the Dutchman's gold has plenty there to keep them busy when they can't get in the field.   I won't be one of their competitors, but there are a some sources you have cited that I'm going to take a closer look at myself.

Thanks for the list,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7142.msg69023.html#msg69023

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: