[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mrs.oroblancoTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Treasure Hunting can be rewarding.  But - it can be dangerous - either by design, being uneducated, or simply by the act of being a Treasure Hunter.

Many a treasure hunter has hiked the mountains of the Superstitions, the Bradshaw Mountains, and hundreds of other places.  Whether it is desert, mountains, streams, dredging, panning, hiking or metal detecting - we - as treasure hunters tend to "move" around.  Metal Detectorists are apt to walk with headphones on, looking down, listening
to nothing but the sounds coming from their machines.  Dredgers and highbanker enthusiasts concentrate on the next place to dig, or suction - lost treasure enthusiasts, prospectors and miners - are out hiking looking for clues, or certain types of rock, or dirt, or whatever.  And, we get in trouble.  We don't plan on it - and even folks who are well prepared, have been killed. How does it happen? What can help us stay safe? How many folks have died, or been lost - or gotten hurt? Who, and how, do you get out of a
problem that you didn't foresee?

I have a very high interest in Search and Rescue, spent years in the medical field, also looking for lost folks, hurt folks - and people who got in trouble without meaning to.  I was going to start this thread a little later, but, after seeing some talk about going out into the desert in the summer, I decided to start it now.

While we have participated in more than one search and rescue - my interest started a long time ago, in California, in the Mojave Desert.  A couple - just married and on their honeymoon, wanted to do some "desert digging", and they set up their camp at an old abandoned mine, with tent, goodies and some mining supplies. At the time, we were living on our gold claim, and we watched them navigate down the canyon.  We did not have any of this information at the time. The next morning, the dog started barking, and there was screaming coming through the canyon.  We ran out. A woman was running, screaming and crying hysterically. Trying to figure out what in the world she was saying, we followed her to her camp.  The shortened version of this sad story is that, at the old mining tunnel, her new husband was afraid to go into the tunnel, so, he thought he would be smart, and stay near the entrance.  The first few pick whacks was all it took. The entire mouth of the mine came down on him, burying him, still standing up. Our neighbor came down with his backhoe and between the back hoe and some shovels, we got him out.  He was already dead when we first got there - we unburied a dead body.
Some honeymoon.

Anyway, I got to thinking that, we, as treasure hunters, don't always know what the right thing is. The truth of old mines in the desert, is that the mouth of the tunnels are THE most dangerous. They can weathered, rained on, and are unstable. Most cave-ins have happened at the mouths of those types of tunnels than any other place. (unlike some other kinds of mining tunnels). But - he didn't know - he thought he was being safe.

Anyway, I would like to start this thread to talk about some of the hundreds of folks that have been lost - or lost and found - or killed - in the wonderful world of treasure hunting and hiking.  I add hiking to this, because, as treasure hunters of all kinds - we tend to NOT stay put - we might start out on a trail, but, then, something catches our
eye, and we just have to go see what it is - until we out hike our supplies, or get turned around --how many of us have gotten so interested in what we were doing, that, all of a sudden, we looked up and it was either dark or we were a mile from the car or our camp? I have, more times than I would like to admit.  There are many stories that are out there - hopefully, by having a discussion on what has happened to some others, we can all learn just what we should and shouldn't do in the great outdoors.

Beth (Mrs.O)

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg219946.html#msg219946

Offline Abantemo
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Russian Federation

501.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Well, i'm proud owner Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:47:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Indeed, this is sad story... but everything depends of equipment and training. Sure, they had to know about the troubles, that they could meet there. And I think, each of us, t-hunters and hikers, including fishers etc. must be ready to meet any hazards in our way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg219961.html#msg219961

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:09:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm assuming that most folks, at least those familiar with Arizona and the Supes, know about some of the latest lost folks.  Three men from Utah - and, three years this December, a young man from Denver Colorado hiked into the Supers, never to be seen again.  That particular story takes a lot of twists and turns, including some private information that has never been shared.

However, for anyone interested, the searches never end. The Superstition Search and Rescue (SSAR), are a volunteer organization that has an almost 100% find rate - except for this young man from Colorado - Jesse Capen is still missing. And, SSAR is still looking.  At this point, there is now evidence of the location where he probably has ended up - there is just a matter of finding enough to bring home to his family. However, in June, Discovery channel will be airing Jesse's story. (along with some of the twists and turns).  I don't have the exact date yet, but they started filming in the Supes on Tuesday - supposedly for a 2 day shoot, and have extended the filming for another few days.  They were not allowed to put a helicopter down, so, they are having to do a little unplanned hiking.  I know it will be on a Monday, and they have done several other stories about other people.

If anyone is interested in their programming for the lost, here is the link.  A couple of weeks before Jesse's story is told, it will be on the website.

Please Register or Login

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/review-101205-series-springs.html

And here is the site index, which will show you who they have already done, and other info.

Please Register or Login

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/the-missing/

Beth (mrs.o)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220167.html#msg220167

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:37:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mrs.O, This promises to be an interesting and informative thread. There are 101 ways a detectorist can get in trouble. Especially a week-end treasure hunter who is breaking new ground. I've explored the oil fields of Texas, Caves in the Big Bend, Mines in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming and sinkholes in Florida each place had its own dangers. Even the wise, cautious and experienced can easily fall victim. The key is not to go alone and if you go alone, use extreme caution and sometimes even that is not enough. Case in point: Recently I gained permission to M.D. a 2 block area where the housing had been razzed and grass planted over the vacant lots. It was an almost perfect M.D. site. Short grass, even surface, very few trees. What could possibly go wrong? The second day the caretaker stopped by and asked if I had found anything yet. I had been over most of the ground and had found a few coins. In the conversation he said "watch out for that septic tank."
What septic tank? I replied. He pointed to an area in the middle of the block where I had just been hunting. On inspection I found a 2 foot diameter hole in the turf with no suggestion of its presence other than a few weeds growing around the edge that served to conceal it. Once again I dogged the bullet. Before I left I placed a tire and piece of plywood over the hole to mark its location. Beware!

This mine portal in the gold mining region of the Ruby Valley of Wyoming had a crude wooden plaque with the names of the miners that had been killed in the mine. My guide who was a retired gold miner himself, refused to climb the hill up to the portal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220183.html#msg220183

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

mineportal_small.jpg

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:45:40 am by gambol1 »
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is one recent happening - an example for metal detectorists:

Please Register or Login

http://www.wate.com/story/17435259/grainger-county-man-injured-in-hunting-accident-wants-to-know-who-shot-him

Beth (Mrs.O)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220323.html#msg220323

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Messed up Deal there!     I would have been shooting back!   LOL Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220329.html#msg220329

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Amen Brother I always carry something esp with all the rattle snakes around here.

Newest toy is the 410/45 long Judge revolver shotgun/rifle, what an awesome gun.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220348.html#msg220348

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice, Ive been looking at those for home, carry, and zombie defense =)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220353.html#msg220353

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

it would def do the trick, and works great on Snakes too and whatever else may come your way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220354.html#msg220354

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats just not right! Mrs.O,  please keep us informed if you hear anymore of the situation.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35988.msg220356.html#msg220356

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: