[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bigwaterTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm sure this topic has been covered hundreds of times on numerous forums, but it might be worth piling it all into one area.  What are the most obscure places you can think of to hide something if you were really paranoid and wanted to make sure nobody could find it?

When I first started college back in 1981, I moved into a dorm room on campus.  It was a ratty old place, about 100 years old... plaster walls, no air conditioning... just a prison cell from lack of a better description.  One night it was hot as hell in there and I was burning up, so I went to raise the ratty old 2" aluminum blinds in the place to open the windows and help get some air in the room, and the screws popped out of the wall. The blinds came crashing to the floor.  Out of the header of the blinds popped 6 baggies full of marijuana.  I checked the set of blinds on the other window and found three more baggies of marijuana and several bags of assorted pills.  Evidently some previous resident of that room used the header of the blinds to hide his stash. It was completely dried up like it had been there for years.

I would have never thought to check the header of aluminum binds as a stash spot for anything.  What other places have you folks accidentally or conciously thought to check for valuables, places that wouldn't be "ordinary"?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg70813.html#msg70813

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:05:36 am by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline Badger
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Coinmaster
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I worked construction performing light demolition work on residential properties it was very common to find hidden cash and other "prizes" (like your college era find).

Most often I found these types of items behind the kicker boards under cabinets (usually in the kitchen, occasionally in a bathroom). Be sure to check under the bottom of all lower cabinets.

As a kid I remember hiding things in the ducts of our house.

Also, remove the cover plates on light switches & electrical outlets. The junction boxes that house the wires make fantastic hiding spaces, especially for paper money.

Another place I found something was behind a medicine cabinet. It was a silly note left by a builder decades past wishing the finder good luck. The entire medicine cabinet literally slid right out of its hole in the wall. It took a little jiggling and gentle force but I removed the whole thing without any tools. So check behind medicine cabinets too, not just inside them.

Hope these suggestions help.

-Badger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg91499.html#msg91499

Offline bigwaterTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:08:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL.  Air ducts.  Somewhere in Cullman Alabama there is an air duct full of the pieces of a very elaborate lighter that my dad used to own.  I was fascinated with mechanical stuff as a small child, and always had to take stuff apart to see how it worked (still do).  I tore dad's lighter down, but couldn't figure out how to put it back together, and in my panic I threw all the pieces down the air ducts in my bedroom because I knew I'd get a decent a$$ whooping if dad saw that pile of parts.  I was only about 5 years old at the time... I'm sure I could put it back together again now if given the chance.  Maybe I need to go knock on the door and ask the folks that live there if I can root around in their air ducts.  Imagine the strange looks I'd get.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg91515.html#msg91515

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was hunting some old foundations in an abandoned coal mine town in SW PA. They had razed the buildings but the foundations were sill in tact. Mainly made of fieldstone. I was sweeping the walls in one and found 4 or so little metal cars behind small chinking rocks. Found one every 2 feet or so. One of my ole detector pals found a tobacco can filled with old silver! Same foundations.
 Detecting
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg91546.html#msg91546

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I picked up a copy of Michael Connor's How To Hide Anything from Palladin Press years ago.  It has more than paid for itself in terms of identifying possible hidey holes.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg92528.html#msg92528

Offline fieldmaus
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While staying at a hotel in Mexico, I was doing some pull ups on the door frame(teen at the time) when the whole frame came off and a small pipe packed with dry old cannabis fell down. Seems random finds like this grow on trees! Maybe next time it will be a gold pipe. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg122740.html#msg122740

Offline halfdollor
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Those sound like some good hiding places would like to hear more, i have found money in old books,old purses that had been throw away,in old clocks,behind pictures,found a nice 1 carrot dimond ring in a old couch in the dump,rich people have very nice things thay throw away,let keep it going where would you hide your treasure's   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg129732.html#msg129732

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not a hiding place but a place that is often over looked, the elbow drain under the sinks. I have searched dozen's of them finding 1 gold wedding band several silver rings lots or earrings and silver coins. I talked with a guy that did demolition work, he had a quart jar full of rings he had found in drains over the years     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg129739.html#msg129739

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline halfdollor
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting That's a good place you come up with seldom i would have never thought of that i was hopping to hear a lot more members thought on this

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11062.msg129901.html#msg129901

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold