[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Question:
Any cheap instrument for dragging shallow bottom behind fishing boat?
add magnet - 0 (0%)
sucking apparatus - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline eyepatchTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:42:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thinking of some easily dragged piece of equipment that could pass over surface of fairly shallow shore bottom with the idea of causing a one to two inch depth of surface to be drawn into a metal lattice enclosure.  The sand and mud would travel on through the lattice and would allow the retention of any coins or small objects to remain.  Could be drug behind any fishing boat with mechanism to disengage if struck an immovable object...but yet allow for it's recovery. Has anyone come up with such an idea?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13657.msg86409.html#msg86409

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I believe it is referred to as a dredge.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13657.msg86436.html#msg86436

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am thinking a dredge is bigger.  I am thinking something smaller, able to be drug behind an ordinary fishing boat...something to "sample" the first inch or so of the bottom, in a narrow way.  I may be way off base....but I am wondering if it can be done. Or has been done.
eyepatch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13657.msg86584.html#msg86584

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:42:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Use a wire basket with a solid front plate running the total width of the dredge . This front plate should be bent downward . The towing should be done by wires from the left and right of the dredge . Now if there was just a bent front plate the dredge would keep on digging in the sand . To set the depth you should mount two plates to the left and the right of the dredge . These plates should be horizontal .  The horizontal plates will prevent the dredge from digging any deeper .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13657.msg86586.html#msg86586

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for this reply.  I had come up with the idea of a kind of rolling pin, the ends of which would be extended with a rather wide tire or wheel, that would ride on the surface of the sand.  The wheels would have several long spikes that would dig into the dirt.  As it is pulled, the long spikes would turn the rolling pin, covered with smaller spikes that would dig into the dirt or sand, and push it into the wire or lattice basket....passing on through, but sifting out any coins.  Sounds kind of far fetched. But imagine a metal rolling pin covered with small spikes, with a metal wheel on each end, covered by longer, more robust spikes that when dragged would turn the rolling pin, digging into the surface...and throwing the mud or sand into the wire or metal lattice basket.  It would have to be weighted from behind to keep it level as it is pulled.  Or better still, instead of the lattice on the top surface, attach a cap extended into a suction appartus to bring it to the surface to be sifted through a screen. More ways to skin the cat.
eyepatch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13657.msg86596.html#msg86596

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: