[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Spending time reading the old newspapers will not only give you plenty of leads, they can also keep you from going on a wild goose chase.

Case in point, in 1890 the dam at Walnut Grove failed wiping out the town of Wickenburg, Arizona and every small community between the dam and the where the Hassayampa River flowed into the Gila River west of Phoenix.   One of the earliest reports of the flood was delivered to the Phoenix newspaper by no less notable and trustworthy of a person than "Buckey" ONeill, who was then serving as the Yavapai county sheriff.  Included in his report was that a large commercial safe belonging to a well known saloon keeper/mercantile had been carried away in the flood and no sign of the safe had been found.   

This report served as the basis for several treasure hunting legends regarding the lost safe of the Wickenburg (or Fool's Gulch) flood.  All of the versions I have read indicate that the safe was never found.

I spent a few hours in the main Phoenix library a couple of years ago reading the microfilms from that period.   Sure enough all of the details matched, including the full report by Sheriff ONeill, which included "the safe has not been found".  Talk about being excited, I was ready to drop everything and head up the road the 40 or so miles that it would take me to get to the target area.  BUT I kept reading subsequent issues of the paper looking for as many details as I could that would help in the search.   In an issue dated about 2 weeks after Sheriff ONeill's initial report, there was an article quoting Sheriff ONeill as reporting that the safe had been found and recovered with the contents intact.

That sort of took the wind out of my sails.   No safe, no rush.   Of course, the riverbed should still yield a lot of smaller "treasures" from the flood so it's still on my list of places to search.

BTW, anyone that wants to see the safe in question will find it in the basement of Desert Caballeros Western Museum in downtown Wickenburg.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1093.msg49257.html#msg49257

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats the problem with newspaper reports. You don't know who else found that report before you and if they already dug up the treasure.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1093.msg49270.html#msg49270

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: