[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:06:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

How to find treasure leads and how to convert them into a successful hunt is a question often rattling round in the minds of those who come here. We all know why. It's because of our nature which is quite unique and miles away from the average person out there in the real world. We live in a world of dreams where the dreams actually come to pass in some cases. Think about that for a second. You have a desire to go to the beach for a beach hunt. Why is that? The straight answer is that you know for a fact that other people have and are finding things there. Underlying thoughts about things you have lost yourself play a factor. Seeing something disappear into the sand is a vivid image of why we go there. Believe it or not, that is a treasure lead and if you go to the beach and find a few things, you have actually converted it to treasure. Simple? You bet. Complex? Not really given the evidence you can work with.

More complicated is a treasure lead that comes from nowhere to the front of your mind from reading a story in a newspaper, a magazine or on line on a web site. Sometimes a lead will come from a conversation overheard or one you are involved in. The sources for leads are fairly unlimited in scope and can come from the most bizarre and unusual sources. I've personally told of several leads I have converted to actual treasure. Mostly, the treasure comes after hard work but most of the investigation can be done from the comfort of your easy chair or, heaven forbid, a library or historical society archive.

In 1974, I was having a cup of coffee with an old friend in North Stonington, Connecticut. We were sitting in the general store chatting with a group of old timers. Mind you, my friend was in his 90s at the time and was the most senior of the members there. The conversation was all over the place until we started talking about the original name of the town. It was called Milltown at one time after splitting from the town of Stonington. Because of the mills, naturally. But the mills begat something else. Two railway lines, to be precise. Both saw freight and passenger service and along those railway lines, diners, shops and train depots were established. Only two were left standing at the time. One was the Dew Drop Inn on state route 2 and the other was the downtown general store in which we were sitting. Across the street was a still operating mill wheel in a creek. The mill was no longer used as a flour mill but the wheel itself has been maintained since the mid 1700s. The town hall is next door to the store and the old post office still stands but is now a law office for a local attorney.

Times change the landscape a lot. The discussion moved into rumor and stories passed on from generations now gone. They spoke of another, earlier site for the town center. I paid attention and found out why there is only a 2nd Congregational Church in town. The first is long gone now but it set me to thinking that it might be fun to find the old church site. The historical society had some information and much to my surprise, the site was potentially within 200 yards of where I grew up. My mother still lived there at the time so on a visit, I took my baby (at the time 10 years old) and went for a walk to see if I could find it. My older kids were too interested in visiting friends to bother with Dad on this event.

We walked almost straight to the site. It was really easy to find and as a kid, I had played there. The site was a 1600s graveyard which I knew about but never suspected there was a former church foundation there. Detector in hand, and avoiding the graveyard area, I began searching for evidence of human occupation of the living kind. I found lots, including several foundations buried beneath a century of vegetation. My next trip out, rake in hand, I began defining the buildings. I found all sorts of relics, coins and eventually some real treasure. In one of the foundations, at the corner, I had a large signal which excited me greatly. I dug and found the remains of a very rusty box which crumbed as I dug. Seeing silver in amongst the rusty shards, I carefully remove 30 ingots all dated 1602 - well before the township was founded! There was also the name of a silversmith stamped into the ingots, each of which weighed around 3 ounces. Not very much silver but this was so exciting. This must have been in a hole below the floorboards for safekeeping. I have never found any record of how the old buildings came down, wither by rot and decay, fire or demolition. This will forever remain a mystery. Paper records don't survive very well.

My little group of conversationalists around the cracker barrel at the general store had led me to this treasure along with the memories I had of an old cemetery. Somewhere in my morass of paper and memorabilia, I have the images of time spent on the hunt at the site. Mostly of my daughter standing next to some of the old gravestones. If I ever locate them again, I will post the images. Until then, my word description will have to do.

As to applying this to the world of treasure hunting, leads are never expected to pop out like that but they often do. Just yesterday, a friend of mine told of how he lost his wedding band 30 years ago in his aunt's back yard in a neighboring town. I told him as soon as spring arrived in full, we'd go and see about finding it. It was lost at a family picnic all those years ago and despite everyone crawling around on hands and knees, it was never found. I think we have a 40% chance of finding it. Most of that is down to my skills and a bit down to his memory.

Be open to hearing about a lead no matter how small. If you ear about a place where the local orchestra used to play, see if it is now an old, overgrown section of the park. Go there and find those tiny treasures and convert that lead into real silver and maybe gold. It's all out there. You just need to keep your eyes and ears open and apply your open mind to the potentials.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg240052.html#msg240052

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats all good info there GD.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246737.html#msg246737

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why, thank you Seldom. You don't need this kind of advice, though. You have nearly as many years under your belt as I do. Who knows? Maybe more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246754.html#msg246754

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:07:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
You have nearly as many years under your belt as I do.

Yea we got a bunch of them wouldn't change a thing how about you?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246762.html#msg246762

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not really, although I wish I really felt as good as I think I feel. I mean, my brain tells me I'm still nineteen but the old body says, "No, no, no . . .!!!"

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246767.html#msg246767

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL I know its a b**** getting up in age. I went to the pass a few days age eye balling for rings and coins because of the high winds lasted about 2 hours use to stay out for 10 or 12. Got home and Mrs seldom laughingly say you ain't 20 no more my only come back was he$$ I ain't 50 no more

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246768.html#msg246768

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Between us, we must have more than a century of experience in this treasure hunting thing. At least 40 of mine were spent learning from my mistakes.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246769.html#msg246769

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
At least 40 of mine were spent learning from my mistakes.

Unfortunately most of us seem to have problems learning from other folks mistakes---at least until AFTER we've made the same mistake ourself.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246770.html#msg246770

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very true, BA. My only regrets in my life all hinge around not listening when I should have.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246773.html#msg246773

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the read, GD

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38914.msg246788.html#msg246788

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: