[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LostChapterBooksTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« on: December 05, 2010, 06:34:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

With the advent of books on the web such as Google books and the major advances in web search technology, I would like to recommend that we start including a bibliography for cache hunters. Maybe not stop there and a bibliography for coin hunters, code breakers, etc...

What books are essential to your research? Are they available on line?  What key words do you search for to begin your research?  What are the pitfalls of internet research for buried treasure?

You don't have to limit yourself to on line research. I personally love hard bound books (LOL after all I do buy and sell antique books).
One recommendation of course would be the county atlases and histories put out by Beers, Andreas and others. Every hobbiest should have a copy of thier own county's history.

Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Tippecanoe County, Indiana 1888. If in the United States, look for your own county or the county you are detecting in (was there an equivalent in other countries?)

The combined atlas of Tippecanoe County 1873 (maps here are great for overlays). If in the United States, look for your own county or the county you are detecting in.

Haapers Magazine (1850 - 1877) The Civil War articles are some of the best out there and often give insite into areas often missed by historians.

Lets build a great bibliography of metal detecting here guys...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130011.html#msg130011

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:48:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Lostchapterbooks

I think when researching once has to take a very holistic approach and use every resource available. Books, magazines Publications, Public, private libraries internet old maps and newspaper all have there uses.

It is truly amazing resource the internet has opened up for research. It can lead you in the right direction in searching for all of the above.

It is some thing I wish I had 30 years ago.

Hardluck 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130013.html#msg130013

Offline LostChapterBooksTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

True Hardluck,

but what are your favorites? Your I can't do without books. What does "your" library look like?

What keywords do you search when doing initial research.  What starts you on a cache hunt? What piques your interest.

I am looking to start research on potential caches in Australia (a new interest due to my impending move there). I have to build a library, start an internet favotites section with links and pages. But first I need my keywords. Even for a public library search, I need to begin somewhere. and with that I am off to the limits of my mind and will begin my own bibliography of Metal Detecting in Australia.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130026.html#msg130026

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The only problem I see with this is that most books will only be of interest to very few. Out of 1500 books and manuscripts in my library most cover the gulf coast, Texas and the southwest. Larry in New York will have little interest in them. Plus without the information in my files the stories in most books is incomplete.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130053.html#msg130053

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:11:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Too simple. All you need to do is start a thread on that subject and watch it grow. The powers that be don't need to start it. You do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130074.html#msg130074

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline forester01
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab 2100, Minelab 2200D, Garrett A2B
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G'day Lostchapterbooks,

with regard to researching gold prospecting in Australia, likely keywords why not try 'golden triangle in Australia'?  'Australia's gold rush'.  'Australia's goldfields'.  The combinations are endless.  'Palmer River Goldrush' might also bring success.

Regards
Forester

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130079.html#msg130079

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:13:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Lostchapterbooks

I have a library bursting at the seems with books about treasure hunting, general history and a multitude of other things such as very old charts and documents relating to many treasure stories from around the world. I would not part with any of them even if there is a risk of a book avalanche. The earliest papers documents I have is 1620. You will find various bits and pieces in the various treasure legends I have posted.

You might want to check out the Australia Forum. I have posted a few Australian treasure stories leads there. please feel free to research them. Some will turn out to be legend others may lead to some thing.

I would be interested  hear if you out anything more about them to add.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130097.html#msg130097

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:44:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been working on a list for several weeks but have not posted it yet for several reasons. One reason is that we go off topic here a lot and thats ok we always get back sooner are later. So the only way to keep a thread serious is to lock it so only mod's can post that works but is unfair to the other members.
I like GD think if you have a book you wish to discuss start a thread and it will find its own following.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130106.html#msg130106

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline cjanoe55
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:48:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another type of research that some have let slip is to,  if you are able to.  Talk to some of the locals to see what they have heard and or seen.  Also check the local libraries and if they have local museums.  These I have found that having good ideas in to finding good ideas in where to search and what to search for.  Just an idea, that is.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19770.msg130138.html#msg130138

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: