[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:40:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Thank you, Brian, for your ever so helpful answer to the question.

de nada.... I thought you would appreciate it.

Right now, I really could care less.... some bug snuck an atomic device into my blood pressure system and I am going to be a bit sick for up to 3 weeks, if I do not croak, from it.... no, not H1N1, I had that 3 weeks ago, for the 3rd time in my life.... it was insignificant, but weakened my resistance! Whatever kind of bug it is, (Rhinovirus, possibly,) it has caused a severe inflamation, in my stomach, which in turn, irritates the Vagus nerve.... it is like a constant heart attack/asthma attack, with pain.

This has to be over, by spring, so I can get ME some of that $1200US/oz gold.

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg60226.html#msg60226

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 11:54:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hope you get better soon, Brian.

Say, you could come down here. Just getting on to summer right now. Dry out, warm up, get better and then be back in time for spring. How does that sound?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg60263.html#msg60263

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline erobbins1
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 09:40:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i have been a thermographer for 20+ years and hope i can give you a little insight on how to use an IR cam for THing.
for an IR Cam to work there must be a temperature differential, the greater this differential the better for a novice. This is the first time i have considered using a cam for TH'ing and the first thing that comes to mind is looking for caches in walls, floors, ceilings etc. These caches will probably appear as well defined shapes in your image, they may appear hotter or colder depending on ambient conditions and the construction of the building you are searching. Focus is the most important concern for a thermographer, if yor camera has the ability to save your images, you don't want to take an unfocused img. You can correct all of your camera settings in the software that comes with your cam, but, you can't refocus a blurry picture. Also, when you are TH'ing you are doing a qualitative analysis, this means that you are looking for anomalies, things that don't belong in the picture. I hope I haven't confused the issue too much, most people confuse commercially available IR Thermography cameras with what they see in the movies.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63573.html#msg63573

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"This is the first time i have considered using a cam for TH'ing and the first thing that comes to mind is looking for caches in walls, floors, ceilings etc. These caches will probably appear as well defined shapes in your image, they may appear hotter or colder depending on ambient conditions and the construction of the building you are searching. Focus is the most important concern for a thermographer, if yor camera has the ability to save your images, you don't want to take an unfocused img. You can correct all of your camera settings in the software that comes with your cam, but, you can't refocus a blurry picture. Also, when you are TH'ing you are doing a qualitative analysis, this means that you are looking for anomalies, things that don't belong in the picture."

erobbins1, this makes a lot of sense to me.   Based on what you've explained, things like the size of the cavity relative to the surrounding wall and the average "thermal mass" or "thermal density" (probably not a proper technical term, but it helps me construct an analogy I can put my mind around) as well as the thermal conductivity of what is in the void versus the surrounding material would help determine how easy an anomaly would be to spot.  The greater the difference, the easier to see

Thanks,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63579.html#msg63579

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 12:45:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by erobbins1
i have been a thermographer for 20+ years and hope i can give you a little insight on how to use an IR cam for THing.
for an IR Cam to work there must be a temperature differential, the greater this differential the better for a novice. This is the first time i have considered using a cam for TH'ing and the first thing that comes to mind is looking for caches in walls, floors, ceilings etc. These caches will probably appear as well defined shapes in your image, they may appear hotter or colder depending on ambient conditions and the construction of the building you are searching. Focus is the most important concern for a thermographer, if yor camera has the ability to save your images, you don't want to take an unfocused img. You can correct all of your camera settings in the software that comes with your cam, but, you can't refocus a blurry picture. Also, when you are TH'ing you are doing a qualitative analysis, this means that you are looking for anomalies, things that don't belong in the picture. I hope I haven't confused the issue too much, most people confuse commercially available IR Thermography cameras with what they see in the movies.

Thank you for your clear and concise response to my question. Could you recommend a brand of thermography camera (hopefully a moderately-priced one) which you'd consider as adequate for t-hunting? If you have also used such cameras for work on soils, I'd love to hear your experiences as well.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63583.html#msg63583

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline erobbins1
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

At work I use a Mikron camera that cost around $50k, but, there are a lot manufacturers of thermal imagers today. Fluke, FLIR and RayTek make a few models that are "moderately" priced ($3k to $10k), i have used a RayTek (forget the model) that had a small screen for viewing, light weight and easy to operate. it also had onboard memory and came with software for editing and reporting. There are lots of used cameras for sale, i suggest that you pick a reputable vendor if you decide to go this route.

I work for a large utility company in the SE, most of my experience is in the field of electrical distribution systems, leaking valves and steam traps. Occasionally I locate hot spots on the coal piles or coal bunkers, this is the closest I get to use thermography on soils. Except for geo-thermal I can't think of any other applications to use IR for.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63657.html#msg63657

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you again, erobbins1 for the info. I think it's worthwhile to add such a camera to my tools. Will look for a used one!

2 other possible uses for a thermography camera that I can think of are the monitoring of temperature in compost piles (trichoderma does its work best in a specific temperature range), and the evaluation of water/heat stress on steep terrain plantings. But that's just the agronomist in me talking. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63672.html#msg63672

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline schapekop0701
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Belgium

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gti 2500
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

At work we use the Fluke TI 25 thermal imager,but just fr hotspots on joints of high tension cables.
How can you use it fr metal detecting?Huh? Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8446.msg63759.html#msg63759

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: