[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't have it yet. Too much to do. Firewood to cut, dogs to run with, fence to mend and chaos to avert.

One thing about winter in New England is that it gives you time to do the things you don't want to do when the weather is nice. Indoor projects, crafts, woodworking and other hobbies are best done under artificial light in the old man cave. With heat, of course. Reading the occasional book also helps to pass winter and avoid cabin fever.

Then there's the old horse known as research. For every hour I spend at research, I spend 4 hours in the field at a minumum later. I can sit out on the back veranda with my Android tablet and bookmark all sorts of leads on the web which will need more research from more reliable sources. No, I don't believe most of what I see on the web. Only about 10% of it is reasonably accurate. The rest is almost all wrong or misguided at the very least. Everything I find on the web I research thoroughly using my tried and proven resources.

The best ever resource is a first person accounting. Most police will tell you that eye witness accounts are almost always slightly wrong and they'd be right for the small stuff but most eye witness accounts have very accurate accounts of the big stuff. It was a big guy, white with a beard. That's hard to mistake but maybe his shirt color was off or the exact height was wrong. Those things hardly matter in treasure leads. Reading accounts on the web can be accurate despite my admonitions here to the contrary.

For example, almost anything coming from the Gutenberg Project will be 100% accurate. A copy of virtually every out of print book can be had for free.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.gutenberg.org
is their home.

At any rate, research on the web should only be a very basic starting point, not the end result of a search. Word matches in search engines can be fooled by careless writers. And, with the glut of information out there, incorrect use of a word or phrase can send you off on a tangent.

Enjoy the ride but be careful

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247298.html#msg247298

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for that GD. Our winters are really the time to go out detecting, the summer being so hot that you don't really want to go out in the sun but it's also a good time to do detecting in the cooler places like under the trees, In winter it the sunny parts that I do.  My research is done at night or very early in the mornings. So no cabin fever for me   Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247320.html#msg247320

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a Sirf PI kit sitting in the closet.

May be time to fire up the Iron. Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247321.html#msg247321

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks GD.
I hardy spent time in the shed any more,since I been diagnosed with detecting obsession.
I love the hot sunny days!! I call the “deposit days” every one at the beach goes silly loosing things.
And I love the cold windy ones more they are my” withdrew days” with no one around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247327.html#msg247327

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline lugknut32
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pending!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the link! It will come in VERY handy for a couple of other interests as well!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247529.html#msg247529

Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lugknut32
Thanks for the link! It will come in VERY handy for a couple of other interests as well!

Indeed. Project Gutenberg is an Aladdin's Cave of information and the best part is the price.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45592.msg247541.html#msg247541

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: