[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:25:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

FYI    from WIKI

If you have the rare "No-D" variety of the 1922 Lincoln cent, your coin could be worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars -- depending on its condition.

However, there are 3 sets of dies used to stamp these, and only one set of these dies has that big value (die pair #2) -- the rest are only worth about 1/10th as much (or less).

The die pair you want is the one that will show absolutely no trace of the "D" mintmark under the date (even when magnified), and will exhibit a strong strike on the reverse -- no mushiness at all.

Refer to Ken Potter's analysis of these coins on his website :

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://conecaonline.org/content/1922NoD1cDP2Diagnostiocs.htm

There are also tons of these coins out there that are couonterfeit -- where the "D" has been removed. Careful examination with a strong magnifier will reveal these.

If you do have the genuine rare variety, then in well-worn condition, it's worth $350-$500 -- in lightly worn condition it's worth $1,200-$2,500 -- in almost uncirculated condition it's worth almost $5,000 -- and a nice uncirculated one will be worth $6,500 to $22,000 or more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14181.msg90826.html#msg90826

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:52:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Still, to find one in good condition from metal detecting worth a few hundred dollars is fantastic! You could be looking at upgrading your metal detector off of just one penny!  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14181.msg90829.html#msg90829

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline johnlawTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mfitzs70
FYI    from WIKI

If you have the rare "No-D" variety of the 1922 Lincoln cent, your coin could be worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars -- depending on its condition.

However, there are 3 sets of dies used to stamp these, and only one set of these dies has that big value (die pair #2) -- the rest are only worth about 1/10th as much (or less).

The die pair you want is the one that will show absolutely no trace of the "D" mintmark under the date (even when magnified), and will exhibit a strong strike on the reverse -- no mushiness at all.

Refer to Ken Potter's analysis of these coins on his website :

Please Register or Login

http://conecaonline.org/content/1922NoD1cDP2Diagnostiocs.htm

There are also tons of these coins out there that are couonterfeit -- where the "D" has been removed. Careful examination with a strong magnifier will reveal these.

If you do have the genuine rare variety, then in well-worn condition, it's worth $350-$500 -- in lightly worn condition it's worth $1,200-$2,500 -- in almost uncirculated condition it's worth almost $5,000 -- and a nice uncirculated one will be worth $6,500 to $22,000 or more.

Thanks for the great bit of information on the coins value. I've looked at it with a manifying glass and could not see any trace of a mint mark. Even if it's not considered to be in the best condition it was great to find one. Thanks everyone for your replies......John in Va..
Quote:Posted by toleary34
   thanks for the info.  the reason i ask is i am trying to research old ball parks that are not in use anymore, and was just trying to see if the law of probability was on my side in terms of whether you had found something after others had already detected it, or if you were the first to scan the area.  seeings how you're not he first, and still having some great finds....i feel a lot better about pursuing the abandoned ball parks and fairgrounds

When someone tells me a place is hunted out etc, I take it with a grain of salt. Not all detectorist are alike and some get discouraged quickly, others just look for the quick goodies leaving behind some of the best finds for those who are methodical and patient. John in Va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14181.msg90985.html#msg90985

Johnlaw

Offline toleary34
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very true, today i went to a fairgrounds and worked the area for about an hour and got a bunch of pennies, a quarter, a nickel, and a dime as well.  i was only there for about an hour, but i know i sure as heck haven;t hinted that place out of currency.  i honestly believe that someone has always missed that one find that you are looking for and wanting to find

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14181.msg90992.html#msg90992

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: