[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines
Referrals: 0

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:19:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

I went to work today (didn't work, I just "went"). Grabbed my Garrett and headed to the dirt.
Started gettin' signals immediately registering 1 or 2 on the display (nails I thought) then got a 5 and a 6. Pinpointed and dug. Couldn't locate the little culprit. Passed handfuls of dirt by the coil and finally got my beep! Looking through the dirt in my hand... I STILL couldn't see a thing. Got out my trusty magnet.... plink. A very small piece of wire. Then I got a tacked! Not one or 2 but 43 tacks in a 1 meter square area. Throw in a couple of nails and some more pieces of wire and that brought me to lunch time.

The sun started peeking through the clouds and I noticed my Garrett's display was fogged again. Dagnabbit Angry  I kept swinging anyway.

After lunch I was able to add a few more tacks and finally a couple of coins Grin. The two are both recent 25 centavo pieces and both together are worth approximately 1 US cent Grin

I still enjoyed the hunt Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49806.html#msg49806

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

091520091110.jpg
091520091111.jpg
091520091112.jpg

KD

Offline mikewaz
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher 1266 X, Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:47:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice going!
At least you squeezed a few coins out of a tricky spot and had fun on top of it.
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49821.html#msg49821

Please Register or Login

Detector Deals of the Day

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

How tacky - but creative  Smiley  Sorry that your screen is still fogged - maybe it you put it somewhere dry and warm, it'll finally evaporate. I know about not bringing one into a warm house if you've been using it outside in frigid temps  - don't think you'll ever need to be concerned about that tho. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49843.html#msg49843

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:59:49 am by Sue »
Offline warpony
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

great story (i do not think i would have stayed around to get to 43)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49848.html#msg49848

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:03:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If your Garrett is out of warranty, take it apart right away to dry it or you'll get corrosion inside which will cause you problems later on. I'd consider doing it even if it was still in warranty - it can be that serious.

When you have it open, use a hair dryer at a long distance from the unit to dry it out. Warm air, not hot air, is what you need to cure what ails the machine. Hot air will melt the low temperature solder of surface mount components and will damage the integrity of the circuit board. After you are fairly certain it is dry, give it an hour to cool down and repeat the drying process paying attention to the display area. After it cools again, inspect the board for any debris that may have entered the board area due to your exposing it to the environment. Clean it if necessary and then put it all together.

If the moisture is still present, you may have to use a solution of alcohol to absorb the water and then repeat the drying process. But, you really need to cure that moisture issue. The flux in modern circuit boards has some organic components to the chemistry that will, not may, encourage the growth of organisms which are quite happy to accept your water as a nutrient medium.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49866.html#msg49866

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Muttpuppy
Copper Member

I clean up well, when I clean up
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:47:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Ken. I have a 1907 ten centavo coin and am wondering if you might know anything about that? You mention that both recent 25 centavo pieces together being worth approximately 1 US cent Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49874.html#msg49874

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

By the way, it's better to be under "a tack" than sitting on one. Know what I mean?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49878.html#msg49878

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Many thanks for your replies, folks. This story isn't about a great treasure recovery but is more centered upon what a lot of us go through in an average day of hunting. Also I squeezed in a tip for new hunters.... using a magnet to eliminate magnetic debris and even locate small magnetic treasure. I use a small blade with a strong magnet attached and just rake back and forth through the loose dirt I have removed. It works wonders and saves time. It can even remove magnetic clay/ minerals that can cause erroneous signals. Cool

Thanks Mike. Smiley It WAS fun and by the way, Warpony. I was just making a point about a multiple target area such as tacks that can give such "difficult to interpret" signals. Using the magnet saved me probably 2 or 3 hours of hunting by sight and feel. Finding a tack by squeezing the dirt can be painful. Cry

Thanks Sue, I thought that "tacky" title would raise curiosity a little and add a little humor to the board.

Muttpuppy, for clarification are you maybe speaking about the 1907 s ten centavo? There are actually two business strikes minted. If you have the "1907-S Ten Centavo MS-63 ANACS " then it's worth approximately $400 US and a rare find. The other one "1907-S Ten Centavo AU-58 PCGS " is only worth about $40 US. Regardless, both are treasures Wink

GD, My Garrett is out of warranty already and I've opened it before but I just let it air dry. This time I will use the blow dryer as per your instructions to hopefully eliminate the problem. If the blow dryer alone isn't enough I will do it again with alcohol. Thanks for the good advice.
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
By the way, it's better to be under "a tack" than sitting on one. Know what I mean?

Grin Sounds like we went to the same school, GD  Grin

HH everybody,
kd

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49886.html#msg49886

KD

Offline quizpro21
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

conquistador shadow2
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:36:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lol. I did the same thing last week only with nails. Quizpro

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49889.html#msg49889

Offline Niobium
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter Digital
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:42:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

My idea for getting rid of the moisture in your garret is to wrap a plastic bag round the housing and stuff loads of those silica gel bags that drives out moisture (often delivered in shoes and electronics), they will take care of your problems.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7964.msg49920.html#msg49920

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: