[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:30:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Arfieboy,

LOL, your find was unusual, good things happen sometimes mate!  Wink

I'll bet one day your granddaughter goes detecting with you and finds a watch and hands it to you, now that will be great and a tradition will have come full circle.

Thanks mate, and yes wait till you see my professional divers collection and what a few of those things cost being Seiko's &  you'll say that I'm nuts!  LOL  Cheesy

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
Seriously, Jim, and that's  only one of your watch boxes?  Nice collection.  Wolfy, I found a watch on the beach years ago.  I Wasn't even metal detecting.  Sitting on a log in the sand enjoying the ocean and people watching, I got out my sand scoop and started scooping around the log.  Among other things, I scooped up a cheap Timex watch with plastice band.  It was running.  I took it home, cleaned it up and wore it to work for many years!  Another time I was detecting with my ten-year-old granddaughter.  Dug up a watch.  It didn't have a band and wasn't running.  I handed it to her and went on detecting.  Soon she came over to me and said, "Grandpa, I got it running."  Took it home, cleaned it up, put a new band on it and gave it to her for her next birthday!  It still runs today!

Posted on: October 09, 2011, 11:18:55 PM
Hey gambo1 buddy, hows it going mate, just great I trust.

Yep, I recall them very well. Yep, I used to have and wear a couple of those back in the day, good electronics inside, but the batteries back them were not like the Silver Oxide & Lithum batteries of today, and reluctantly many of those old batteries leaeked and corroded the circut boards and LCD displays. (More than likely what happen to the good find you made bro, going by the whitish or yellowish Oxide deposits you noticed inside the compartment when opened and looked at)

Sometimes those can be cleaned and brought back to the land of the living, alittle cleaning and getting the contacts to have a fresh metal for conductive response could get her up & running.

My seiko quarzt divers watches use hi torque step motors and run with 5 & 7 jewels some of them. They can last a lifetime before a cleaming and service to the gear train is needed. Usually just the old lube that dires and creates just enough resistaqnce to stop the gear from making movement, and a cleaning and lube with the newer synthetic watch oils they can last for another 20+ years.

Thanks & enjoyed your reply too my friend!  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Wolfy, good find. I could use another watch, the battery in my timex is about to run out.

Jim, I found a Texas Instruments Model # 403 LED watch. Remember those circa about 1974. It was about 4 inches down in the flower bed of an abandoned house. For curiosity I popped the back off of it and it looked dry and clean. Put a new battery in it and it was dead. On closer examination I could see tiny traces of oxide between the processor chip leads. Too bad. I found a guy that collects LED watches on the web and he was looking for a 403 processor for one of his watches.  

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27792.msg197478.html#msg197478

Best Regards,
Jim

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: