[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SharenHTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:57:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Everyone... I wanted to share a MD I have had at least 25 years.  I bought it at a yard sale one Saturday back in the late 70's.  I'm pretty sure I paid $2.00 for it. I used it for finding the dog's collor when he lost it in the back yard.  I thought it was lost many years ago.  My husband just found it in the garage (one of those cabinets I refuse to go in...)   

I'm going to try to clean it up and put in a new 9V.  I am going out to Hawthorn tomorrow to help a friend find a lost engagement ring in their yard.  I'm planning to also take it along and see how it does if I can get it working.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Take care,

SharenH

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg52804.html#msg52804

Offline capnrich
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck Sharen, let us know what you found!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg52809.html#msg52809

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Lots of alum to add to my ball, 5 pennies all from the 70's and a few rusted nuts.  But no engagement ring.  I will go out there again next week when I have another day off.  But I will have to say it was great.  And when I got home last night my Garrett pin pointer was sitting next to the front door.  It was too late to play last night, but I used it this morning in the back yard.

I am looking forward to going out again and using all I have learned so far.  Take care, I will keep you updated.

SharenH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg53000.html#msg53000

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:47:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sharen, I know you didn't ask for this advice but finding a ring can be difficult because everyone believes they absolutely know where they lost it but if that were true, they would have found it already. Many of us have had good success doing the following.

1. Ask whether she was walking towards or away from the house when she lost it. Most people wear their engagement ring on their left hand. From her point of departure from the house to the point of suspected loss is a key area to search. Search from the center to the left side extending about 6 feet from the center. Rings are almost always "flung" a bit when dropped from the hand. It's a natural thing since people swing their arms whenever they walk. Do a fast search and then go back and do a thorough, inch by inch search of the entire path from the house to the loss point.

2. Rings lost can rest on the surface of the grass unnoticed or nestle themselves in the grass above the dirt. They can be hit by a lawn mower or weed whacker and sent yards from their original resting point. Find out their lawn mowing habits. Determine if the lawn was mowed just after the loss. If so, you will have to expand your search area accordingly.

3. Even though there is no question that the ring was lost, always question the precise story of the loss. Not in an "I don't believe you" sort of way but in the way of reality. Had they really known exactly where they lost their ring, it would have been found right after the loss. Most of the time the loss is discovered a long time (relatively) after the loss. Even a few minutes between the loss and the discovery of the loss can displace the area the person remembers as being the point of loss. Using your imagination, start thinking about what may have happened if they were just a little wrong. I once had a friend who swore she lost her ring while gardening. I believed her and searched her tulip bed for hours, inch by inch. Over coffee later, it occurred to me to ask her where she washed her hands after gardening. "Oh, in the deep sink next to the washing machine." The ring was in the sink trap. As any detective will tell you, witness statements are unreliable but not due to the reliability of a witness.

4. If you are not searching in the all metal mode or with zero discrimination, you may already have swept over the ring. This is crucial. Rings often fall into the lower end of discrimination. Dig everything in the yard. Everything.

Good luck, Sharen.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg53020.html#msg53020

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:50:27 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:39:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you!!! Yes the ring was put on the hood of a truck she and her husband were working on. They forgot it was there, took the truck for a test run, the wedding band was found in the yard, but I feel the engagement ring was thrown off the truck and either on the side of the road ( they went all the way on the road and checked to see if it had landed there ) or in the ditch in front of their yard.

Not to much grass in the yard, but lots of leaves.  They did rake up and I went through each pile twice.  And yes, I did the all metal mode and disc and then auto notch.  I did dig down when gave me both the 0 - 2 and 4 - 6.

Thank you!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg53036.html#msg53036

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:46:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sharen, it sounds to me as if your analysis is right. Most likely it got lost and perhaps even found by a passerby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8439.msg53039.html#msg53039

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: