[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Glenfiddich
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards

XP Deus, Blisstool V3, Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by silver fox
Found this silver hammered coin  Detecting last week . When found it was black and green [bad silver] . Have spent last week cleaning the coin ,and this is what it looks like now . The coin is [-I have been told] Quarter real of phillp 11 1556-1598, mint mexico city . Colonial Spanish coin . You never no whats coming up next  Great

NEVER, NEVER, EVER clean an old coin because you will only devalue it and if it did have a value, it definitely doesn't have any value now  Shocked  Cry Cry old coins always build up a nice dark green patina and which adds to their value  :Smiley

Nice coin apart from that

Glen  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,61222.msg311334.html#msg311334

Offline silver foxTopic starter
Bronze Member

My first gold noble of Edward 3rd .
Thank you18

Activity
1%

United Kingdom

1585.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

XP POWER
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Glenfiddich ,No so , I have been cleaning coins and fixing the bent ones when found for 40 years [ Gold and Silver ] and not devalue but have gone up in value when sold .This is one of the coins I fixed [ Saxon silver ] rare one . Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,61222.msg311335.html#msg311335

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Anglo Saxon silver sceatta Series Bx-S.776var.JPG
Befor. Sceattas c680-710.JPG

Offline Glenfiddich
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards

XP Deus, Blisstool V3, Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 02:18:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Silver fox

I hear what you say but from my own experience which also spans many, many years I learned NOT to try to clean them other than using just an old toothbrush and warm water UNLESS it isn't going to be of any value at all  Huh? Don't get me wrong, in my early days I too ruined coins and tried everything from electrolysis to bleach and a lot more  Sad but I would never try it on any of my hammered or a Roman coins for fear that I ruined them.  Embarrassed I do like the photo of your Saxon Sceat which you have shown as a before and after photo but I still would not recommend doing this to such old and rare coins  Huh? You say that you have sold coins which have gone up in value after cleaning them ?? but I'm wondering how you have previously sold them because if you have sold them on eBay then fair enough because there are a lot of inexperienced buyers on there and I would NEVER buy such a coin on eBay anyway in fact I have never ever bought coins on eBay, I just like you have found multiple hammered coins and Roman silver and bronze units over the years on my own, I would be surprised if some of the more professional coin collectors out there like like Mike Vosper  and his partner Vivienne would pay more for a coin cleaned by someone even if they did have 40 years experience or not >>  Undecided Undecided

but what I was going to say is that in the well known book called "Coins of England & the United Kingdom" by Spink and in every edition no matter which year you buy it clearly states somewhere near the beginning of the book in the section about cleaning coins and I quote.......

Cleaning Coins
"Speaking generally, do not clean coins. More coins are ruined by injudicious cleaning than through any other cause, and a badly cleaned coin looses much of its value."

Quote taken from the aforementioned book

Its your choice of course if you want to do this I suppose  Smiley

Glen  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,61222.msg311337.html#msg311337

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 45.0
Firefox 45.0

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Glenfiddich

but what I was going to say is that in the well known book called "Coins of England & the United Kingdom" by Spink and in every edition no matter which year you buy it clearly states somewhere near the beginning of the book in the section about cleaning coins and I quote.......

Cleaning Coins
"Speaking generally, do not clean coins. More coins are ruined by injudicious cleaning than through any other cause, and a badly cleaned coin looses much of its value."

Quote taken from the aforementioned book

Its your choice of course if you want to do this I suppose  Smiley
Glen  Wink

Yes I been there done that. I turn a few hundred dollars coin to a few dollars coin.
NEVER again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,61222.msg311348.html#msg311348

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:44:05 pm by nickel_n »

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: