[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDitty
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I love those old prayer medals.  Religious medals are behind only to coins when it comes to silver finds in my collection. 

I enjoy these types of posts.  There are so many different types of religious medals that we could easily post pics of a thousand different ones.  I have found that the oldest are usually the best made while I have found a few newer ones that are plated over a foam substance. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173358.html#msg173358

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
 I love those old prayer medals.  Religious medals are behind only to coins when it comes to silver finds in my collection.  

I enjoy these types of posts.  There are so many different types of religious medals that we could easily post pics of a thousand different ones.  I have found that the oldest are usually the best made while I have found a few newer ones that are plated over a foam substance.  

And I liked your post very much. It shows that you are more than just an expert in aluminum cans and pulltabs  Wink. Maybe you could help me figure out the era of this medal.  Undecided I have not been able to even find the prayer online. At the time of this post, I've been tumbling the medal in soapy water and fish tank pebbles for many hours, but I doubt it will come out completely clean due to its intricate design and the time it has been buried. I love this piece very much for it witnessed so many good and bad fishing days. I can figure how sad it was that fisherman after losing his companion charm  Sad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173390.html#msg173390

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:52:15 pm by Cyberborikua »
Offline TriDitty
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am sure that I am not the most knowledgeable poster on this board on this topic.  I only know that the scapular medals that I have come across are more cheaply made the later that they were produced.  I have come across medals that are solid silver that I am sure are at least fifty years old.  I have also come across some that were silver or even aluminum coated over a foam substance that must have been made much more recently.

As far as your medal goes, I like the way the back ground was made.  It gives it an old feel.  Perhaps someone else can comment on how the various techniques of making these medals have changed over the years?  That might help you date it.  Also, I don't see brass used much these days so if your medal is solid brass, then it might have a chance of being from earlier in the 1900's. ( I guess).

I would also wonder how brass ages in your local soil.  Our soil is very moist nearly all year long so things like copper pennies don't last nearly as long as they would in the desert for example.   I really don't know how brass ages at all so I would be curoius about that.  This hobby has opened up so many different avenues of research that I have been learning much more than I had thought when I started coin hunting.

Most of the time, I just try to imagine the age of a piece by the area that I found it in.  Your medal is definitely a very original piece that I would be happy to add to my collection.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173398.html#msg173398

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 05:43:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
Most of the time, I just try to imagine the age of a piece by the area that I found it in.  Your medal is definitely a very original piece that I would be happy to add to my collection.

Thank you for your thorough response. I love this kind of responses for they really build on what we post. As I'm cleaning the medal, it is giving me a soft brass color, but some parts look more nickelish. I'm not even sure at this point what material it is made from, but it is certainly a solid metallic piece. I found it in an old picnic area of a forest preserve, close to the river, under an old tree. All parks and preseves in Chicagoland are early 1900s or older. I know it is a lovely piece anyone would love to have in a collection. I love this piece too because I have found many, many other religious items, and this medal is one of my best finds. Thank you for looking and sharing your thoughts.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173403.html#msg173403

Offline arkie-ologist
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Prizm III
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:20:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's a really neat find!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173828.html#msg173828

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cyberborikua not sure how I missed this thread , but anyways congrats on finding the Fisherman prayer medalion.
those are definetly unique finds and ones you don't come across everyday. I hope it cleans up for you ,
and if it does please repost a photo of it cleaned up.

Congrats again , U seem to have great luck finding unusal treasures !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173853.html#msg173853

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline TriDitty
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
Thank you for your thorough response. I love this kind of responses for they really build on what we post. As I'm cleaning the medal, it is giving me a soft brass color, but some parts look more nickelish. I'm not even sure at this point what material it is made from, but it is certainly a solid metallic piece. I found it in an old picnic area of a forest preserve, close to the river, under an old tree. All parks and preseves in Chicagoland are early 1900s or older. I know it is a lovely piece anyone would love to have in a collection. I love this piece too because I have found many, many other religious items, and this medal is one of my best finds. Thank you for looking and sharing your thoughts.  Smiley

I will try to find my group pics of religious medals that I have found so far during my first year with a detector.  There isn't anything really impressive, but they are mine and I am proud of them.  You will see what I meant by a silver or aluminum coating over foam.  I recall that I had two scapular medals next to each other and you can see the recent cheap one with pits after cleaning while the old one is pitless and a little tarnished due to the silver.

I will try to see if I have the pics here at work.  I think that I should be wearing one these days since we have a flood bearing down on us as I type.  We started prepping for it yesterday.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23623.msg173892.html#msg173892

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: