[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok folks, I decided to try a different type of search and if you like to join, you are welcome. GD gave me the idea that my coin (about the size of a half dollar) could have been a mint test or even an error, either purposely made or a real mint press error. I found a few articles on double headed or tailed coins and there is a possibility that many of those coins, also known as magician coins are fake. Real ones may be produced in a press to be sold to collectors. So, real ones do exist, but the possibility of them going into circulation is basically null. See the article below:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2009/10/magicians-coins-is-my-double-headed-tailed-coin-real.html

The thing is that a real double headed or obverse coin has the distinctive feature that the other obverse side is rotated 180 degrees by the press, whereas fake coins are cut in half and then "glued" together by a milling machine (as seen in the article) leaving out fine but visible seams. My coin is double headed and the other side is rotated 180 degrees. I'm planning to place it under a microscope to look for possible seam lines. My biggest problem is that I have not been able to locate a picture of the obverse shown in my coin. More info to come later

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17962.msg115767.html#msg115767

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Medallion-3.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Without a date and denomination, it's not likely to be a real coin that has been milled and glued. Double headed novelty coins have indeed been around for years and the thought crossed my mind briefly. You do have an honest to goodness mystery on your hands there.

Do you have a scale that you can weight it on? If not, take it to the grocery store and use the produce scale. A random thought just occurred to me that it might be a bullion coin. Those are coins manufactured to look like or look similar to genuine coins but are 1oz (Troy) of gold. I have a few dozen silver bullion coins like that but none of them have the same image on both sides.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17962.msg115908.html#msg115908

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD you have been very helpful. No it is not a bullion coin it weights 9.47 g = 0.334044 oz. and it really sounds like a single coin when let fall to the ground. Upon careful observation, I was unable to see any seams around the edge or inside it. This medal or coin, whatever it is, was made double headed for some reason. However, all the articles I have read on those coins indicate that they are either fake (magician coins) or apprentice made on purpose to practice their job. Yet, some experts also say that real ones do exist, but not in circulation, at least not in the US. My saga to crack this mystery continues  Rider!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17962.msg115956.html#msg115956

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: