[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD . Nice Photo and stories . Are you in the Winter Season down there ? Everybody looks bundled up !! Also , Too bad about the detecting law/waiting period down there . Thanks for posting all the information here .

HH......Best Regards..........Eugene

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46580.html#msg46580

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 02:40:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene52, we are coming to the end of the winter season. The weather here is much like San Diego in the opposite season since we are south of the equator. Way south. The ocean temp was cold so the surfer girl is wearing a wetsuit. Old SilverScoop76 was bundled up and wearing a wetsuit because he was in the water until a few waves convinced him he should try things on the beach for a while.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46590.html#msg46590

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Bulldog
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP & Sov GT
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 06:02:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi again GD, think yourself lucky about having to wait six months before you get a ring, or jewelry back. Over here in The UK, well, we have the "Crown Estate" and they "own" the beach from high to low water. In the past, anything you found was, basically, yours, OK we did try reporting stuff with the police but they didn't want to know, - didn't want the paperwork.
Crown Estates have recently introduced new "rules" for us beach detororists and we can keep the "odd" coin or three, but anything in the way of jewelry has to be reported to them so that they can take their half share in it.We now have to apply for a permit to detect on the beach, (Im still waiting to hear the news that we we need a permit to S**T!)
Fortuneatley for me, our neck of the woods never turns up jewellry (well, I don't find any), so it's not a problem for me.
Haven't been down to the beach for ages now, the club keeps finding farms for me to go on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46614.html#msg46614

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 04:06:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bulldog,

Six months is long enough and I don't complain. If I return a lost item it makes me feel good. I do try my best to return items without involving the police paperwork but I also do the turnover of lost items at a local police station so I have an official record of the turnover.

In February of this year, I found a set of Mercedes car keys with a 4 function remote on the ring and 20 or so keys. Sounded like I'd found a manhole cover. The Mercedes key had a serial number laser etched in it so I called the largest dealer to inquire about it. As it happens, the owner had ordered a new set of keys that very day and they contacted him to ask him if he wanted his original set back since it had been found. We met at the local cop shop (Aussie slang for police station) and we did the turnover based on his automobile paperwork as proof and everyone was happy. Seems his key is a very special one programmed electronically to start only one Mercedes - his. They cost $400.00 to duplicate and his remote was programmed for his house alarm, business alarm, garage door and front gate. The rest of his keys were for his doors to home, business and etc. A nightmare of locksmith work and key making was ahead of him.

He was overjoyed at the recovery and, even though I protested, he forced 3 $100.00 notes on me. He figured I'd saved him well over $1000.00 in locksmith costs (re-keying all his doors and making multiple keys for each) alone never mind the new Mercedes key.

He had to have a taxi pick up his wife's spare keys and deliver them to him at the beach the day he lost his own just so he could get his car and surfboard home. I had found them the following morning.

It was a good day at the beach. For both of us. My wife and I dined elegantly that evening. Spoils of war.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46723.html#msg46723

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Picture GD-crime for finding stuff that is terrible-what can I say - they will be taxing us on detecting in the states next-let me shut up I come here to get away from politics-anyway-guess you had to park the new Tesoro huh GD?
Thanks for the picture!!!
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46747.html#msg46747

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Great Picture GD-crime for finding stuff that is terrible-what can I say - they will be taxing us on detecting in the states next-let me shut up I come here to get away from politics-anyway-guess you had to park the new Tesoro huh GD?
Thanks for the picture!!!
FOS

Parking it for the wife was the plan all along. I ordered the metal for the gate. Must weld it on Monday and Tuesday but it won't take that long. I'll have it hung over two mornings and paint it in Spring.

I've begun taking the dog out regularly now to see if he'll stay close when I'm detecting. I can't get him to hold the sand scoop right.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46787.html#msg46787

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline atomic_swing_stick
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari with Sunray X1 probe, EXcelerator 16" EQ2, EXcelerator 10" x 14" EQ2, EXcelerator 8" concentric, EXcelerator 4.5" x 7" EQ2, Coiltec 15" WOT,   Garrett ACE 250, Sniper 4" coil, 6" x 9" standard coil.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 02:11:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was checking out the surfer chick... next time could ya get a better picture of the chick and not your friend....  Grin.

In my state we have the similar rule of discovery, if you find any personal artifacts such as jewelery it has to be turned over to the town police in where it was found and is held for 90 days to give the original owner time to claim it. I've found a class ring before and instead of turning it in i did research and found the original owner, it was very rewarding to give it to them in person. State parks and beaches have an added rules such as anything that can be deemed historically of value has to be turned over to the park rangers. And i thank you for posting your reasons for not putting up a picture of your finds as you have a great point in which we all should take into consideration.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46805.html#msg46805

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 04:12:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

I don't think I'd have any problems posting them after I get the police clearance on the item but you just never know. My most emotional property return was giving a Naval Academy ring back to its owner. A really nice guy who did some really heroic things in his career. It was returned 20 years to the day when he lost it. Accidental timing, I assure you because I didn't know when he lost it.

Well done on returning the ring you found.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46810.html#msg46810

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mikeK
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 04:41:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

yea but say you find a nice artdeco (edwardian) ring lost say in 1910,who in the right mind will try and claim that back,come on what chance have you got,what you need is a picture of your great gran wearing it or what?finders keepers losers weepers,that the way I see it,here we have a finders reward of 10%,so if you find some ones wallet with 600euro, 60euro is yours,not sure how it works with jewellery,,,mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46812.html#msg46812

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 03:09:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mikek, it's only for identifiable items. The old ring could have been warn by an heir of the original owner last week. I do agree that finders should be the owners but I also feel a moral tug to return things I find which can be traced back to an owner. It's not uncommon for metal detectorists to have ethics, you know. I just don't want to hand some crook a ring on a platter because I posted a photo of it here to satisfy my ego. There are dishonest people who know about these forums who do look for things they can say they lost. They're quite able to describe the item too, having seen a wonderful photo of it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6087.msg46888.html#msg46888

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: