[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« on: December 23, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Today was beautiful here in Florida. My daughter and I went out and hunted for a while. We were at a site where I found a ring and a silver nickel and lots of clad coins I thought it was pretty well hunted out so I decided to dig the "trash" targets just to see what came up. I found a bronze coin, quarter size, that was minted for use in the Phillipines back in 1939. Here is a description of it.

"All of these coins bore a single reverse design, the federal shield surmounted by an American eagle clutching an olive branch in its right claw and a bundle of arrows in its left. Around this appeared the legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and the date of coinage. The obverse of the minor coins (the half centavo and one centavo, both coined in bronze, and the copper-nickel five centavos) featured the semi-nude figure of an adolescent native, seated at an anvil and holding a hammer in his right hand. In the distance is seen the smoking volcano of Mt. Mayon, located on the main island of Luzon. The statement of value appears above him in English, while the name of the archipelago is written below in Spanish as FILIPINAS. This employment of Spanish is curious, given the islands’ recent history, yet it remained for some years afterward the principal language of the educated class"

I'm beginning to fit a story together here. This house was occupied prior to 1941. (I found it on a 1941 photo). I found a 1944 and 1936 nickel there, A button off a U.S. Navy jacket which was made in 1941 also an International Longshoremans Union Button. It may be a coincidence but it appears someone who was in the navy and probably spent time in the Phillipines  and who was in the LSU lost this coin. gambol

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28886.msg204229.html#msg204229

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

one centavo U.S.A..jpg
one centavo reverse.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol, I think you may be on to something.    Subic Bay in the Philippines was a significant US Naval facility before and after World War II.   The question then becomes was he in the Philippines before or after the war?  And was he a longshoreman before or after the war?   I know how I would bet if I was compelled to wager.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28886.msg204235.html#msg204235

Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:27:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

B.A. I plan to check the County records to see who lived in that house around that time period then I will check any names against the U.S. Navy Data Base if their is one. I'm just curious about things like this. A few years ago I bought a dresser and found a marriage license behind the drawers. It was dated 1921 from a church in Elmira New York. I googled the address and the church was still there. I found their webpage and emailed the preacher. He checked and found the name of some relatives one of which I found was still living in Elmira. I mailed the license to him and he gave it to the son of the couple who are now deceased.  I received  a nice letter from him thanking me. I'll do something like that with this if I can find out who lost it.  gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28886.msg204242.html#msg204242

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: