[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline andrea3Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Who would have thought that junk could look so good?  Here are my finds from my first two nights out detecting the beaches of Toronto.  I've been digging anything that beeps and having a blast!

Detecting  See ya out there!

Andréa

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201642.html#msg201642

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

NiceJunk.jpg

Offline SandFisher
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

1235X, Silver Sabre
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:46:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Hot Wheels, that's a keeper.

Actually, you should keep samples of the junk you find, use it to learn how your machine interprets those targets.

At one point you will say to yourself, "that's a bottle cap", and you'll move on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201674.html#msg201674

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:04:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

great start! hope you are having a blast! So I have to know, what md did you finally settle on? I am new too and only because I found the ageless, heavy, power hungry...did I mention rugged and reliable Garrett ADS III Deepseeker and I am still digging everything. Happy hunting, Poptop

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201675.html#msg201675

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Andrea,

what machine are you using? Most of the time it is hard to near impossible to really distinguish between a silver piece and piece of aluminium (e.g. Pulltab). Howeber you should be able to discrimnate all those iron pieces (nails, screws) and botte caps. Try to adjust your disc to make sure you don't dig those Smiley

Best wishes and keep the finds coming,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201689.html#msg201689

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:32:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Christian
Hello Andrea,

what machine are you using? Most of the time it is hard to near impossible to really distinguish between a silver piece and piece of aluminium (e.g. Pulltab). Howeber you should be able to discrimnate all those iron pieces (nails, screws) and botte caps. Try to adjust your disc to make sure you don't dig those Smiley

Best wishes and keep the finds coming,

Christian

There is a little bit "O" logic in what they have been posting about discriminating out the iron and steel BUTTTT, if you discriminate out the iron and steel you may inadverently take out some of the prime targets as well. The iron can "MASK" out a desireable signal and if you pass it up or have it discriminated out you could be taking out your prime targets.
When you get a signal and dig it and it comes out as a piece of iron you may still get a signal in that spot. It will linger there for quite a while. It is referred to as a "halo" effect.
I have found steel objects buried right on top of one of my holy grail objects before. I dug a Steel knife in a tot lot and when I went over the same spot I got another different signal 14Kt earring.
I normally take out all signals that way when I go there at a later date I will not be finding the same junk all over again.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201694.html#msg201694

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:20:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

SandFisher, I was thinking the same thing.  I'm going to keep some samples for checking detector discrimination.  Of course, that doesn't explain why I've put EVERYTHING I found into a jar!  I'll start to worry when the jar is full and I start calling it "My Precious"!

Well Poptop, I wanted to get a White's Spectrum XLT but I wasn't sure I'd get into MD so I went to the bottom end of the spectrum and picked up a cheap Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200.  After only five hours I'm hooked on MD, and I've already run into some of the BH's limitations.  Its discrimination is all over the place, at least on a damp sandy beach, and its depth indicator is questionable too.  With only five hours it may take some more time to get to know it better.  That Deepseeker you got looks pretty cool.  9 bucks at a garage sale?  That in itself is a great find!

I was discrimination out the iron for a while Christian, but to tell you the truth it got a little quite out there on the beach so I turned it back on.  For now it's more fun to dig everything and practice my pinpointing skills, and as Out4gold says, who knows what might show up!  It's easy enough to dig on the beach, though I may change my mind when I have to dig through real dirt.

Out4gold, I didn't know about that halo effect and I think I've already run into it.  I thought my detector was going crazy when it still showed something but I couldn't find anything else in the sand, and then the signal just disappeared!  You've saved my sanity and some digging... Good tip!

Andréa

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201713.html#msg201713

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:48:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Andrea

You are well on your way!  Congratulations on you new detector and your first finds!  One thing to remember (of all the many things about detecting) is...   Always, always, always (can't emphasize "always" enough) double check your recovery hole.  I have oftem found other good targets (up to 6) all in the same hole!   

Good luck! And keep on swingin'!     Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201716.html#msg201716

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline SandFisher
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

1235X, Silver Sabre
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by andrea3
SandFisher, I was thinking the same thing.  I'm going to keep some samples for checking detector discrimination.  Of course, that doesn't explain why I've put EVERYTHING I found into a jar!  I'll start to worry when the jar is full and I start calling it "My Precious"!

Andréa

Andréa, I know something that you may really get a kick out of.
It's how I store my finds. If you are interested let me know and I'll post pictures here in this thread.

For now it's more fun to dig everything and practice my pinpointing skills, and as Out4gold says, who knows what might show up!  It's easy enough to dig on the beach, though I may change my mind when I have to dig through real dirt.

Andréa

The most successful person at swinging a detector, to my knowledge, was a woman named "Kay Modgling"

{alt}

"She always searched in all metal mode"

I know a lot of people know her story, but I will post it here in this thread because people really like reading that story.

Out4gold, I didn't know about that halo effect and I think I've already run into it.  I thought my detector was going crazy when it still showed something but I couldn't find anything else in the sand, and then the signal just disappeared!  You've saved my sanity and some digging... Good tip!

Andréa

Yes, we all encounter this, some memory left over from a piece that has been in the ground a while.
Especially if corrosion has taken place. Once you stir things up a bit,.....gone.

All targets have a halo effect, what Out4gold is referring to is the "residual memory" of the halo.
The reading you get even after the find is in your pouch.

Posted on: November 16, 2011, 10:14:53 PM
Kay Modgling

{alt}

The Compass 94B Auto was Kay Modgling's favourite detector, she found $60,000 in coins with it, (one at a time), and a huge pile of rings with it before she passed on to the great competition hunt in the sky. She is an inspiration to us all and will be fondly remembered.
She was,,even Jim Straight's detecting mentor!

Posted by Jim straight on 12/15/2005

Gosh... Kay Modgling sold me my 77B as a prospecting machine. It had a small accessory coil.
Another early TR mineral-metal detectors was the White's "Coinmaster 4-TR." It also had a small accessory coil.

Here is a highlight for those that haven't heard of her:

(The following is an excerpt taken from chapter 16 of "The Hunt for Amazing Treasures")

Kay Modgling was a surgical nurse twenty-five years ago and loved her work. In her mid fifties, she couldn't believe that her recent health problems were more than overwork and the lingering aftereffects of the flu.

"What will I do if I'm retired?" she asked. "I need to keep busy, have purpose to my life."
One day her sister-in-law came to visit on her way to an outing at the beach. She had a metal detector with her and showed Kay how it worked. When she saw Kay's dejected expression, she put the detector in Kay's hand and said "Take this and start going out to the beach. It's amazing what you can find and the ocean air will do wonders for you."

The first day Kay went to Huntington Beach, California with her metal detector, she found a number of coins. Just hearing the beep-beep sound that the detector made gave her a feeling of excitement. As she scooped up the sand at the indicated spot, she knew she had found something to keep her active and interested.

Kay's husband, Tom, began to hunt with her and they learned quickly and well. She said, "I've been on the beach after a storm and at times have found as many as 1,300 coins.", "I had to walk back to my car stooped over because of all those coins in my apron."

Soon Kay took her trusty detector to other areas, such as parks and campgrounds. Before long she not only had thousands of coins but quite an array of rings, watches, military medals, religious medallions, foreign currency, and gold and silver jewelry.
At one point Kay used some of the coins she had found to buy a new Ford Pinto. Yes, there were that many thousands of dollars in coins, with many left over. About 1990 she stopped counting her finds because they numbered half a million and were valued at more than $60,000.

"I've been all over this country and others such as Mexico and Australia," Kay said. "All over the place and I've yet to go out and find nothing. I always find something."
Kays prowess with the metal detector inspired many others who wanted to add some adventure to their lives or to find a way to overcome health problems and have fun while doing so. She said, "This hobby has given me my life. Whenever my health problems would bother me I'd just take my detector and away I'd go and just work off steam. I'm living proof that there's treasure everywhere, no matter where you find it.

Kay's first detector she bought was the Compass 94IB, after that all the rest of her 23 detectors were given to her as promotional gifts from the manufacturers.

She always hunted in all-metal and listened to the nuances of the machine.

The 94b is fast and light as a trick shooters pistol with the same detector engine as the 77B. no fuss no muss.
Pretty inspirational gal, I must say.

Here is the picture of the "Special K" made for Kay as a gift from Compass. The first was serial # KM75
KM for her initials and 75 for 1975.

{alt}

When Kay passed away...her husband Tom passed on shortly after. As where her detectors went!   Don't Know?Huh?  Kay was never with out her trusty 94 B. Kay had such a following and was a real inspiration and a icon for Compass.  She may be gone! but never forgotten! For all the great time out hunting and  all the wonderful memories when she would whip my butt with her Compass 94B.
 The KM75 was one of a kind.

Best of Hunting
A.C.

I have always liked this story

SandFisher

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201808.html#msg201808
http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/file/n6845614/Kay_Awards.jpg
http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/file/n5524507/Kay_Awards.jpg
http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/file/n5524201/k5.jpg

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats Andrea!
The BH & Discovery lines ie: 2200 series and the others in the series are Good detectors to start with and have some good modern features to add to ones beginning finds in the hobby, and many use them that have been detecting for many years!  Wink

I also agree and back what ArfieBoy says, always recheck the finds hole, there could be a few more goodies down there!!!!

Great finds,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
Andrea

You are well on your way!  Congratulations on you new detector and your first finds!  One thing to remember (of all the many things about detecting) is...   Always, always, always (can't emphasize "always" enough) double check your recovery hole.  I have oftem found other good targets (up to 6) all in the same hole!  

Good luck! And keep on swingin'!     Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201815.html#msg201815

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:05:44 am by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Double check - check!  I mean Roger! Good tip, ArfieBoy, I'll be sure to do so.

Andréa

Posted on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:14 PM
Alright SandFisher, I'm intrigued... how do you store your finds?  Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Quite the interesting story about Kay.. thanks for sharing!

Andréa

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28525.msg201817.html#msg201817

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: