[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline smasheriii2004Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Went out for the sixth time and came away with nothing but junk! found 37cents in clad so far.....wish I had a friend who could help me learn this machine better....not sure if its working properly.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31245.html#msg31245

Offline capnrich
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 01:43:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry to hear that. I found lot's of junk too, but kept at it. I'm still new, but having a ball. What machine have you got? My son was disappointed in his detector, but with my help(learning from others) and all the books, he's finding things, but is a bit impatient! On the plus side, I'm finding it's alot of fun to go with others some times too. Makes like a competition almost, but also gives a chance to compare detectors and see what each reads over a hot spot before digging. I hope you don't get discouraged.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31284.html#msg31284

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:44:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a garrett gta350,whether i find anything or not i still have a good time.I just need to find somebody to go with who can help me along a bit.thanx for the encouraging words.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31306.html#msg31306

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:36:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Smash
              What detector are you using ?   

A couple of years ago I bought a near bottom of the line Bounty Hunter Tracker iv , it was simple to use " discriminator ,and sensitivity switch " thats all .  I didnt realy know what I was digging although I did learn that when I crossed a coin it gave a clear signal and if I crossed trash it would splutter a bit before the signal , The detector seemed to be good to about 5inches for coins so I dug everything the detector found .
                    The first day out with this detector down at the local park I dugup $50 worth of coins in 4 hrs. it was simple to use but limited depth ,  so after a while I decided to upgrade to a more powerfull and sophisticated detector , the first day out to to same park I went to with the other detector I only picked up $4 worth of coins .
                  " I HAD A BIG LEARNING CURVE " to attend to .  I thought simple set the detector on find coins and thats what I would only find , but the trouble is there are a lot of variables to work around , for instance some junk items send out signals very close to some coins ect.
                   So I went back to basics, limit my discrimination so I will get some trash with my coins and I dig  everything the detector signals trash and all ,     
                   Now Im getting somewhere Im finding coins down to 12 inches and with carefull tweeking of my adjustments I'm slowly reading my new detectors capabilities
 without the frustration and dissapointment I had the first day .
                   And thats what youve got to do learn slowly ,  this is how I tested my detector ,  get some coins of different value , some pull-tabs and some steel washers . Go to the backyard into the kids sandpit or whatever garden ect.  dig a series of holes of varying depths  4ins for smaller coins to 8 ins for bigger coins or objects  and bury the metal objects . make sure you space them apart at-least 8 to 10 inches so the signals wont interfere with one-another
                 Set your detector to all metal to start with . Then go over them with your detector . you should hear different sounds and /or see different readings on your detector if it has a meter .
                 As you get get familar with the sounds adjust your discrimination a little and go over the detecting procedure . in time you will understand different metals send out different signals at different depths
                                         . Detecting    Keep me posted 
                                                                                     Happy hunting Great 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31315.html#msg31315

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:40:27 pm by aussie »
Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Smash
       Back again if you want some encouragement look-up topic "NOT BAD BUT NOT GOOD" ,  by  Chuckimimie 
            In " Beach and Shallow Water"  section  If this man can do it there is hope for the rest of us  Victory  In the end it paid off they found this beautifull gold ring . but he must have got a wheelbarrow of trash to find it .  Look at his photos

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31316.html#msg31316

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:58:24 pm by aussie »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:10:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice advice Aussie , Thank you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31369.html#msg31369

Offline Treasurehunter01253
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

9 function discrminator, Sears discriminator.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:04:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi smasher,
                Im sorry to hear that your finding junk. We all have had our share of that!
don't get discouraged. Once you get used to your machine and how it works you will do fine.
You might have a look and see if there are any Treasure Hunting Groups in your area,
   Best Wishes,,,Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31377.html#msg31377

Offline chansawea
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's multi function
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hope u have better luck - I'm having the same problem but am going to try Aussie's suggestions  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4972.msg31522.html#msg31522

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: