[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline markgTopic starter
Bronze Member

F75 finds for 6 months.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

750.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:22:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yesterday I went hunting in an area where in the past all the waste coal cinders were spread out on the school lawn. This material causes my F75 to chatter only when the coil is in motion. Reducing sensitivity and increasing discrimination doesn't seem to help. Changing frequencies had no effect on the amount of chatter. But changing to the AM mode allowed me to pull 5 rings and several coins from an area that I had hunted extensively over the past 4 years with both the Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon.
I did some test each time I found a good target by switching to disc mode and adjusting down to 0 with other setting combinations. Most of the time in discrimination mode the target either disappeared or became erratic in the audio response. Some of the targets could be heard if I would lower the discrimination down to 0, but there were two times where even at 0 discrimination the target didn't give a good enough response to prompt me to dig.
Hope this helps.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg44443.html#msg44443

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

SANY1126.jpg

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:12:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, that was a good observation.  We live and learn, of course. Grin I do hunt quite often in disc mode, usually in Jewelery mode, which does not pick up anything from iron, bottle caps, to foil.  Everything else, it picks up.  I set it to AM mode, and in a mass of iron junk, I hear a solid bell tone.  I dig it up and it is a copper bowl like lid to something.  Unfortunately, it took me four years just to realize that the every-now-and then sounds were the discriminated iron targets. 

Also, having iron discriminated might mask any good targets beside or under it.  That is why I switch to AM mode to check something if I think it is a questionable beep.  I did questionable beeps though.  Just not iron.  That was a day, them rings look absolutely lovely.  Thanks for sharing!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg44448.html#msg44448

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Ya'll,
My son-in-law and I were detecting an island. When we were ready to go he pulls out of his pouch what looks like a chunk of coal. It was 4" square and irregular.  Light as a feather. Not crumbling. Yet the detectors picked it up as iron. After researching, the only thing I could find is that coal after heated , iron ore develops. Anyone researched it further or know more?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46156.html#msg46156

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Hey Ya'll,
My son-in-law and I were detecting an island. When we were ready to go he pulls out of his pouch what looks like a chunk of coal. It was 4" square and irregular.  Light as a feather. Not crumbling. Yet the detectors picked it up as iron. After researching, the only thing I could find is that coal after heated , iron ore develops. Anyone researched it further or know more?

If you are certain that you have what looks like coal but is lighter, you may have coke which when removed from a blast furnace, may have been impregnated with iron bits from the smelting process. See this link:

Please Register or Login

http://www.steel.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Articles3&CONTENTID=12304&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

Coal does not change into iron ore. But coke is made from coal. Not Coca Cola. Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46163.html#msg46163

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BRAVO- Golddigger1950,
Thanks for keeping me straight. Did you run the batteries down in the new Tesoro yet?
Thanks again.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46164.html#msg46164

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BRAVO- Golddigger1950,
Thanks for keeping me straight. Did you run the batteries down in the new Tesoro yet?
Thanks again.
FOS

Believe it or not, I am using the same battery that the seller shipped to me in the unit. Second hand, perfect. I test the battery, as is my wont, each time I go somewhere and so far have about 9 full hours on the same (used?) battery. I have no idea how much time was on it to start. I always keep spare batteries with me and the Compadre has a battery test on power up that seems to work fine. My meter is the ultimate test. I built a load testing cap for 9v batteries with a 600 ohm resistor with an LED (in series) placed in parallel across the leads. That way when I test it, it gives me an accurate reading of the voltage levels. For the most part, as long as you remain above 8.4v, the 9v battery is considered good. The LED gives me a quick and dirty test for the battery.

Maybe I should post a schematic of this for forum users. It is quite small and useful. I'll do that as soon as I have some time to spare.

How did I get off on this tangent? Who knows. My brain wanders like that. Like the steel balls in a Pachinko machine.

Anyway, I do like the Compadre more and more every time I use it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46173.html#msg46173

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD-
You are just excited about the new toy- I'd like to see your schematic for one. I can't help but wonder why we have not seen the dream machine thread anymore. I had another idea about that- what do ya think get it started again?
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46183.html#msg46183

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:41:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Of course. That particular topic will resurface now and again if we add to it. I had a couple of ideas to add myself. One being to make it switchable between VLF/TR and PI. It might double the work involved in design but what a machine that will be. Goldigger has also got some ideas he hasn't posted there about using custom look-up tables from hunting data to help with analysis.

I have no schematic for the Compadre. Sorry. If you mean the battery tester, I'll do one up a little later. Believe it or not, I have to make a tutorial for the schematic capture program I am using and this would be a simple, easy one to demo. So, more than just a little prep is needed to do this one up.

Today, I have to fix a gate that a storm blew down a couple of months ago. The "honey do" list just that one pop up to the top. Darn. Sure hate to waste a perfectly good day doing chores instead of treasure hunting. Maybe if I hurry . . .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46187.html#msg46187

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD,
Yes the battery schematic.   How much weight do you think the switchable feature will add? My idea has something to do with the blue tooth and a chip for those that are deaf to certain frequencies.
About the gate- do you live in an older house? Think about it- in cold weather people have their hands in their pockets - pull their hands out to open the gate and WHAM- the ring comes off- the change fails out- now GD gets to take the New Compadre down to the gate - work a little on the gate- metal detect around the gate opening- you could have that paid for before you finish the gate- another place is under pecan trees- same scenario- mate!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46193.html#msg46193

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:07:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD,
Yes the battery schematic.   How much weight do you think the switchable feature will add? My idea has something to do with the blue tooth and a chip for those that are deaf to certain frequencies.
About the gate- do you live in an older house? Think about it- in cold weather people have their hands in their pockets - pull their hands out to open the gate and WHAM- the ring comes off- the change fails out- now GD gets to take the New Compadre down to the gate - work a little on the gate- metal detect around the gate opening- you could have that paid for before you finish the gate- another place is under pecan trees- same scenario- mate!

The gate is for the driveway. The driveway has re-bar in it. LoL Bet I can find that!

You can be sure my yard is very free of metal unless it was lost in the last few days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7204.msg46196.html#msg46196

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: