[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:59:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is todays finds... I didn't make down to the tot lot where my batteries died.. that one is down in town...well anyway.. I should call this one foil gardens as 80% of my hits were some kind of foil material.. I didn't want to discr. as I didn't want to decrease my chances on finding the good stuff.. I did learn that coins found around heavy shade trees were often in bad condition... the soil was very damp and lots of gravel...but most of those coins were deteriatedto the point they were worthless....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42397.html#msg42397

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1010251.jpg

Offline capnrich
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:05:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice collection of treasure! We are at least cleaning out the hazordous junk for the kiddies!(and making some money while doing it!) Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42400.html#msg42400

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline mikeK
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:57:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thats the way to go ksightler,clean out foil gardens (the trash)and the goodies will follow,the main point is you are puting time and effort into the hobby as I can see,its just a ? of time be for you find a nice pice of jewellery.see the coins are out there,,,nice HH mikek

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42414.html#msg42414

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice work! Give it about a year to recharge and go back. Less junk, more goodies.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42418.html#msg42418

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will think about that... this one was tough.... lots of leaves.... sticks and foil everwhere.... The ToT lot I hit Sat morning was so much better... then had battery probs.... ....more sand and toys..stuff to climb and lose stuff.... Plus no sign of bottle caps.... I don't think I have seen so much foil... candy wrapper and drink seals... wowsers....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42430.html#msg42430

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:38:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your work on the tot lot is a two fold effort. When you clean up the junk, you can show a concerned parent the dangerous stuff you are clearing from the site. It immediately removes the worry they have about what you are doing there and reinforces the concept that metal detectorists can do civic minded things like clearing a sand pit of the nasty stuff. When a mom or dad walks up with the kids, the questioning look on their faces will almost always be relaxed when you tell them that you are inspecting the sand for dangerous materials. Even rusty bottle caps concern parents when they think of their kids falling into the sand while they play or walking barefoot.

In the past, I have found weapons, hypodermic needles, nails, fish hooks and pieces of cut sheet metal. Never mind the common trash like sparkler wires, bottle tops, screw caps and glass bits (by eye). Any of them could harm a child in a serious way. There is a good feeling when you look over a tot lot and realize that in spite of the work you had to do, it is a safer place for children. The coins and jewelry in the other side of the pouch help a lot.

It does take some time to "recharge" the area so mark it on your Thomas Brothers map and date it. I am presuming the Thomas Brothers are still in the map book business in San Diego.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42447.html#msg42447

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh yes, and it is funny that you mention being Civic minded as a little boy asked his dad what I was doing and his dad replied "looking for treasure". He asked about my findings and when he saw the rusted nails his eyes went  Shocked  You found these rusty nails in here... I actually felt pretty good... It was hot out today. I could tell no one has ever worked this ToT lot....  A lot of the foil I found today was very fine.. but gave a very strong signal.. I tried to discrm and tested. I was no longer finding much of anything so I went back to no discrm... I am thinking of moving the control head to a belt mount as being waterproof the case is heavy.......

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42455.html#msg42455

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

At least you got some coins to reward you.  Also, the feeling of making the tot lot a safer place for the kids.  Just dig out that bad stuff, and you will get the goods!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42458.html#msg42458

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I know... but I need to find a finer sifter scoop as it would be nice to get rid of the foil.... it was crazy... the detector kept buzzing but there was nother there.. I kept moving the earth  and what ever was being detected was being pushed around.. so there was something there but not visable... finally took some pinches of sand and found the the cause.. a very fine piece of foil.... there is lots of it... that stuff give a strong signal.... higer than the dimes I found.. That was strange.... do you have any pointers on this... when I use discrm.. I fear I will pass up the goods.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42460.html#msg42460

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You can get these at Home Depot for a couple of buck, mate. They are non metallic. You scoop your sand in small batches, pass it in front of your coil and either search it (if you get a beep) or dump it. I got lucky last week. I though I had a foil target and it turned out to be a diamond earring. Tiny one. A few minutes later, I found the other one. First time I ever found a pair in a sand pit. Usually I only find one. Mom must have taken them off and put them somewhere for safekeeping. You know. In the pocket with the hole in it.

Please Register or Login

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3QL41TEGHFQCY

These composite plastic trowels come in two sizes that I know about. One is skinny with a ruler printed on it for bulb planting and the other is broader and plain. Excellent investments for the THer. They are manufactured by Fiskars, the scissors people. In the gardening department.

Say, while you are there, can you get me a couple of those two pocket, canvas nail bags? Home Depot used to give them away with their branding on the front.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42465.html#msg42465

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:24:03 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: