[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 06:27:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will keep that in mind.... Do you use you discrm in the ToT lots? In Sat ToT lot... it was going well every time the MD buzzed I scooped and the sand sifted out great.. leaving the item... it was fast... no leaves, sticks, rocks, and trash clogging up the holes in the scoop..... like beach hunting... I think if I keep working this tot lot I hit today.... I will eventually sift all the trash out.. =)

ThanX....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42466.html#msg42466

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ksightler
I will keep that in mind.... Do you use you discrm in the ToT lots? In Sat ToT lot... it was going well every time the MD buzzed I scooped and the sand sifted out great.. leaving the item... it was fast... no leaves, sticks, rocks, and trash clogging up the holes in the scoop..... like beach hunting... I think if I keep working this tot lot I hit today.... I will eventually sift all the trash out.. =)

ThanX....

I never, ever, under any circumstances use discrimination - tot lot, beach, park, or anywhere else. I dig every single target and never regret it. I simply carry a good sized sling bag for the rubbish that I inevitably dig.

I always dig more targets and the result is far more treasure than others who dig along with me. My coin an jewelry find is always 5 to 10 times greater than theirs with the same increase in the trash I dig. But, I do not find myself missing too much jewelry that way. In countless instances, I have dug a trash target and checked the hole again only to find a piece of jewelry or an old coin. Trust me. In the long run, you will never regret searching in the all metal mode when you start digging this way. Sometimes I wonder if the metal detector manufacturers feel guilty about people missing targets of features that allow them to glance over a target of a high value.

But not me. If I pass my coil over it, I find it. Every time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42473.html#msg42473

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:40:26 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 06:45:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have to agree... I think I will alway search with discrm off.. I need to get a bit more selective on the parks... I haven't seen any other MD's at the parks I go to.... What is you best spot at the park.. I was thinking the slides and the swings... I didn't find much in these areas today?? My finds we actually about ten feet from the jungle gym more like the sand box area....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42477.html#msg42477

Offline PaulSRQ
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F75, Garrett ACE 250, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 07:54:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

...but most of those coins were deteriatedto the point they were worthless....

The Coinstar machine doesn't care how crapped up the coins are. I just dumped about $24 worth of coins and didn't get a single corroded one spit back  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42501.html#msg42501

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have to agree... I think I will alway search with discrm off.. I need to get a bit more selective on the parks... I haven't seen any other MD's at the parks I go to.... What is you best spot at the park.. I was thinking the slides and the swings... I didn't find much in these areas today?? My finds we actually about ten feet from the jungle gym more like the sand box area....

It gets better each time because you do begin to have tonal discrimination going on in your head. Every now and again I get fooled but for the most part I can tell what the target is just by the sound of it.

In the tot lots, as TabDog says, the majority of finds will be near the play equipment. To try and pin down a "best area" from a single one might not help you at all. Wait until you have a dozen or so.

As to the open park areas, the trees with huge trunks or large canopies are the best. People like the shade and often lay a blanket down near a tree only to shake it as they fold it and distribute anything left on the blanket out into the grass. Areas where puddles accumulate in the rain are great areas when dry. That large, open grassy area has hosted a lot of touch football, softball, volleyball and badminton. Look for areas near flagpoles and bandstands (gazebos) where crowds may have gathered or Boy Scout troops mustered. Look around those merry go round things that kids leap on and spin themselves sick - laughing while they fall off. Escondido has a few large, old parks in the downtown area that are wonderful for old finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42518.html#msg42518

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds great... I use to live in escondido... I know some good spots up there... I have been wondering If I should get another mMD as well as this is made for the sea... I am thinking Minelabs

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42522.html#msg42522

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I use a Minelab, among others. I am seeing good comments here from the Tesoro users. So good, in fact, that I am buying one from another member here. Good pricing and lifetime warranty are good incentives to give them a second look.

On your way home from 32nd Street you might stop in to the detector shop on 3538 University Avenue, if he is still there. He used to have a test patch in back and allowed people to try before they buy. His front room is just full of second hand machines and the back room, off to the side, actually, is full of Keene Engineering stuff. He had stacks and stacks of old magazines and books.

I had better stop now. I am making myself want to go visit San Diego again. Sigh.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42524.html#msg42524

Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 09:27:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do they tune detectors there as well? If do make it out this way..You are welcome here... I need to watch a expert at work..  Wink I have been looking at tesoros as well... I just don't know enough abouth them....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42526.html#msg42526

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, your post reminds me of the day I took about 120 nickels out of one small playground area where a little set of monkeybars were.  The area was covered with woodchips and I was hunting it using pretty high discrimination and found a few pennies and dimes when I decided to cut the discrimination down and look for gold rings and jewelry.  I hit signals everywhere!  When I dug them, they were all nickels that I'd been discriminating out and obviously all the detector users before me had been making the same mistake.  None of the nickels were very old and I didn't find any gold jewelry but finding all those coins in such a small spot gave me a great boost of motivation.  That happened in the 1980s.  I went back recently to try my luck again and was very disappointed to find that the monkeybars were no longer there nor were the woodchips.
~Texas Jay  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42527.html#msg42527

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 09:39:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do they tune detectors there as well? If do make it out this way..You are welcome here... I need to watch a expert at work..  Wink I have been looking at tesoros as well... I just don't know enough abouth them....

He is not a technician but he can surely refer you to someone who can do it.

I would hope that welcome is the word. Thanks for the words, though. I own houses there in Mira Mesa and Escondido. I vote absentee in California too. I also have family there. Kids and grandkids.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6961.msg42531.html#msg42531

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: