[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Captnbad has a nice railroad adventure that becomes more and more exciting as we speak. It seems that it is contagious because I just began yesterday to explore an old railroad bed (the tracks were all removed) and here is what I found in just 1.5 hours on a fragment of the site. Actually, the bed is rather long and it may take months or years to cover well. I might even be able to open a railroad bed antiques store with all the goodies I'll find  Cheesy. Here they are: Two 10.5" x 7" railroad tiles? (not sure what they are), a 6.5" spike, a 10.5 long bolt, a few train flattened coins, a WW2 U.S. Navy Stainless Steel spoon by Silco, 187 memorial pennies, a few clad quarters, 2 wheat pennies (1944-D, 1956-D) and an Indian SS spoon. Going back tomorrow for there are a gizillian pennies everywhere. It seems that in the 60s kids had fun putting coins on the tracks to be flattened and many fell to the sides with track vibration, I guess.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181762.html#msg181762

There are 13 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

6-12-11 Finds 010.jpg
6-12-11 Finds 011.jpg
6-12-11 Finds 012.jpg
6-12-11 Finds 013.jpg
6-12-11 Finds 018.jpg
6-12-11 Finds c.JPG
6-12-11 Finds d.JPG
6-12-11 Finds e.JPG
Railroad Items 001.jpg
Railroad Items 002.jpg
Railroad Items 003.jpg
Railroad Items 004.jpg
USN Spoon 1.jpg

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:32:16 pm by Cyberborikua »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:54:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool spot for sure.     Is that quarter silver?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181771.html#msg181771

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:14:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Cool spot for sure.     Is that quarter silver?

I don't think the quarter is silver, but I can't even see a date. It was smasheeed  Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181773.html#msg181773

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm betting it is. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181774.html#msg181774

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
I'm betting it is. 

Ok, I bet you a smashed quarter! Just kidding. I'll go for more tomorrow and will put them in the tumbler separately and will see, but usually silver comes out clean here. These coins are not really buried, and they are mostly found between the bed's rocks. Can't wait to find more wheaties and of couse silver  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181776.html#msg181776

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cyberborikua, That is a fabulosly productive site. You had an excellent day and will find silver there. Those flat plates with holes in them are called 'frogs' I believe. I work an old railroad site too. I guess you found out a frog will give a dime signal when buried at about 8 inches. I've dug a ton of them and other old railroad iron.  My site was operational from 1867 to 1945 but it is well hunted and in the words of one of the original hunters "we used to find pennies all over the tracks" meaning the bed because the tracks were gone in 1945. My favorite find from the site was a WWI tin soldier carrying a artillery spotting instrument. Good work, keep it up. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181798.html#msg181798

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:40:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Cyberborikua, That is a fabulosly productive site. You had an excellent day and will find silver there. Those flat plates with holes in them are called 'frogs' I believe. I work an old railroad site too. I guess you found out a frog will give a dime signal when buried at about 8 inches. I've dug a ton of them and other old railroad iron.  My site was operational from 1867 to 1945 but it is well hunted and in the words of one of the original hunters "we used to find pennies all over the tracks" meaning the bed because the tracks were gone in 1945. My favorite find from the site was a WWI tin soldier carrying a artillery spotting instrument. Good work, keep it up. 

Thanks Gambo. Prior to this RR bed location I was in the woods and had found a 1946 Rosie, a wheaty, and some clad. Now, what exactly is a RR frog? One of them was attached to a fallen wooden square pole with a single spike, and the other one was found barely buried. What timeframe you think those things are? Some of the smashed pennies are memorials so the train got to be running at least to the mid/late 60s.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181802.html#msg181802

Offline captnbad
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1700.00 Gold
View Inventory
captnbad
Awards

seben,BH
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Real nice finds on the plates,The joint where two rails are connected is the weakest part of a rail line. The earliest iron rails were joined by a simple fishplate or bar of metal bolted through the web of the rail. Stronger methods of joining two rails together have been developed. When sufficient metal is put into the rail joint, the joint is almost as strong as the rest of the rail length. Check this

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_profile#Flanged_T_rail

still checking out the bolts, I will get back to you

Captnbad

Posted on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:26 PM
Cyberborikua, here are some of the bolts I have traced back to a kilby flatbed lumber car from 1889,pretty close to your bolt. looks like your on to a line like mine thats a lot of iron. Good luck
 Lou

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181814.html#msg181814

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

largehook.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
I don't think the quarter is silver, but I can't even see a date. It was smasheeed  Cry

Usually, clad coinage splits when dropped onto the tracks and pressed flat. Only the copper remains and two pieces of "nickel foil." It's probably silver.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181832.html#msg181832

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by captnbad
Real nice finds on the plates,The joint where two rails are connected is the weakest part of a rail line. The earliest iron rails were joined by a simple fishplate or bar of metal bolted through the web of the rail. Stronger methods of joining two rails together have been developed. When sufficient metal is put into the rail joint, the joint is almost as strong as the rest of the rail length. Check this

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_profile#Flanged_T_rail

still checking out the bolts, I will get back to you

Captnbad

Posted on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:26 PM
Cyberborikua, here are some of the bolts I have traced back to a kilby flatbed lumber car from 1889,pretty close to your bolt. looks like your on to a line like mine thats a lot of iron. Good luck
 Lou

Thanks Lou. I must admit my little to none knowledge about RR. I was puzzled by the wording on the plates and thought it had something to do with electricity. How wrong I was. Those plates got to be part of the RR for their heavy iron content. Still wondering about how old those plates might be. I try to catalog all my finds by timeframe for when friends ask about them. Any further info will be appreciated.  Wink

Posted on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:37 AM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Usually, clad coinage splits when dropped onto the tracks and pressed flat. Only the copper remains and two pieces of "nickel foil." It's probably silver.

Shocked Maybe it is silver then.  Kiss I must go for more today after work. Can't wait. Thanks Homefire and GD.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25952.msg181867.html#msg181867

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: