[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline daddioTopic starter
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings all. I didn't take any pictures of my find today. I didn't even use the detector to find these items today. But above everything else, the day ended with a very good feeling.

We arrived at a park where I've always found a lot of change. I even found a watch one time here that was buried 5 inches down and despite having a leather band, it was in good shape and after some cleaning I got it to run. I called the park office to report finding it, but they had no report of one ever being lost. It was after all, an inexpensive watch. But today we had no sooner gotten to the park and walked into the pavilion to eat a bit of lunch when we noticed on the end of the picnic table two shiny rings, both with diamonds!
Now this made me wonder about something right off the bat. When you find something like this, do you think to yourself, "Screw that guy, I'm keeping these rings!", or do you think,
"I sure hope I can get these back to the poor girl who lost them."? Well there was no question. We knew the right thing to do was to find the owner and get her rings back to her. One of them was a diamond promise ring, and you can't take something like that away from a girl. The other, much to our good fortune was her high school class ring.

Most class rings have of course, the name of the school they attended, the year they graduated, and on the inside, either the initials of the person or even their full name inscribed on the ring. If it is just the initials, you can usually go through a yearbook/annual from the school in question at your local library if the school is in town. If it's not local, you'd be amazed how quickly a newspaper from the town where the high school is will get involved in helping you if they think they will get a feel good story out of it. Anyway, this ring had the girl's name on the inside of the ring. Man I wish we had always had the internet. Back in the day it could take weeks of research to find a person to return a class ring, but as things go these days, I put the girl's name into the search engine on my cell phone, and within seconds I had 4 websites with information about her, to include her Twitter account and her address. We had a phone call off to her within about 10 minutes, and within an hour of finding the rings, we had set up a time and a place to go meet the girl to return her rings. She hadn't even noticed they were missing until she called to ask why we had left a message on her home phone. When we met up with her, she was tearful and said she wished she had some way of rewarding us for getting the rings back to her. To be honest, seeing the gratitude in her eyes was all the reward needed.

I've read stories about class rings finding their way to their owners after 40 years, but this ring was only missing for a couple of hours and it felt every bit as good. When I was overseas in the military (Army) in 1973 my class ring and another ring of mine went missing after I had left them on a sink edge and walked away for about 2 minutes. I came back to see a guy walking away down the hall and then realizing too late that he had probably just scored a couple of pieces of jewelry. Seeing that he wasn't American, I doubt he had an idea of the significance of a class ring. I'm always hoping though that some day, these many years later, the person who took my rings will have a change of heart and will find a way to get at least the class ring back to me. I don't care what the circumstances are, or were in my case, getting that kind of ring back after any period of time would be nice.

So the next time you score the jewelry, think about whether you'll feel better about keeping it and maybe getting a few bucks or a good story out of the deal, or getting the jewelry back to the owner and knowing how good it feels to have done the right thing.       

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg107626.html#msg107626

Shut up and dig!

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:17:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Enjoyed your story - pretty neat to contact someone about returning what they've lost before they even realize it! It's a week late, but happy birthday  Smiley Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg107660.html#msg107660

Offline daddioTopic starter
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sue
Enjoyed your story - pretty neat to contact someone about returning what they've lost before they even realize it! It's a week late, but happy birthday  Smiley Sue
Thank you Sue. I had a great birthday with all 5 grandsons taking me to the movies and dinner.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg107662.html#msg107662

Shut up and dig!

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:52:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

kudos buddy Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg107700.html#msg107700

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline GATOR444
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret 250/ fisher
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:44:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

GREAT JOB IT'S TAKE A SUPPER PERSON TO DO THAT!!!! Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg139475.html#msg139475

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Daddio - U did a great !!  Clapp Congrats on the B-Day and the Return of the Rings !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg139592.html#msg139592

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Flip Flop
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice job!!  I agree with you 100% on the great feeling of returning someones lost jewelry.
Been there, done that recently with a young lady's class ring.
Here's to the eventual return of yours.
Flip Flop 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg144420.html#msg144420

Offline harper4673
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am glad to hear that the girls got her rings back I am sure that she is very grateful.  It is good to hear that they are still people in the world who will do the right thing.  Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16779.msg144708.html#msg144708

Offline eckstar
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1900.00 Gold