[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline scaupusTopic starter
Copper Member

Slow Down, you're moving too fast
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Eagle Spectrum,
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:03:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Saturday was a slog. I didn't find anything interesting except a brass clay modeling tool. It was dark and raining when i quit.

Sunday morning was dark and cloudy, threatening more rain. I got out to a spot in the city and when i got there i realized i'd been over it once already.  Crazy  I hate when that happens. But, i figured i might as well go over it again. My 2nd destination could wait a bit. I'd only just identified the 2nd spot the night before, so it would definitely be a new one.

i'd missed a lot on my first pass a few weeks back at the first stop , i was finding a pretty good number of clads. I still didn't feel terribly motivated, maybe it was the persistent low pressure still threatening rain. At least my headache from the previous day was gone.

A young woman approached me and asked whether i was searching for gold. She was Cuban and spoke in the intense, very animated way many of those wonderful people have; for you in fly-over country, think Desi Arnaz (from I Love Lucy fame; just realized the younger folk might have no idea who Desi was). I said no, I'm looking for silver coins.

She then told me about a dream she'd had just that night, about a 1947 woman's gold ring, shown to her by a young man who said he'd lost it right after buying it. That's when she woke up. She described the ring to me in detail. I said great, let's look for it. She took me over to her place nearby, and I searched her property and we found a few wheaties and clads as well as a bunch of alulminum trash, but no gold ring. I also found a 1971 Kennedy half dollar which I gave to her as a souvenir, and also since it was basically her's anyway being from her property. She mentioned that ketchup could restore the shine to it. She had accompanied me as we searched, and she asked good questions, I ended up explaining a lot about how the machine works and how i go about doing things. She picked up on the urge to keep looking, hoping the next hole might reveal something great. It was a lot of fun, and when we quit, she to go back about her day, and me to metal detect my new spot, I felt re-motivated, despite being kind of tired after more than 4 hours searching.

On the ground, the new spot looked good, it had all the tell-tale characteristics I'd come to cherish. But, you never really know. My saturday spot hadn't given me any sugar, (though I still had much ground to cover out there.)

I'll just cut to the chase. It wasn't too much later I hit the first Rosie. The first silver of the day is always a thrill. Then a few yards further on, i got a weird signal on the Ace 250, a quarter probably, but with the ground wet, everything was acting a little strange. I missed the pinpoint on it by several inches, and hacked at the next bit of ground at the end of the hole with my blade, and ripped right into a silver quarter, a 1935. I instantly regretted scratching it, but since it's not particularly collectible was not too concerned, I was just so pleased to pull up another quarter to join the six I'd already found over the last couple of months.

The next Rosie was actually right near the end of the zone where i normally check over. Good lesson, and I ran up and down that line but no more out there.
I then went through an alley in back, and then cut the corner to get out on the west side.

On the west side, the terrain was very similar. I went to work, found some clads and a wheatie or two. Then i got another of many strange signals today (just as a note, the ace was really falsing a lot while I was digging). It was skipping around the coin range, settling most around .25. I dug and pulled out a zinc penny, and thought that couldn't be all there is. I stuck in my pinpointer , and right under where the zinc had been there was still a signal. I stuck my blade under it, and a huge round disk emerged, as pale and silvery as a full moon; a 1936 walking liberty half!

I'd as much expected Queen Elizabeth to emerge from the ground while giving me the royal hand wave!

Yee-ha! And Yippie-ay-yaa...happy dance. Well, now I really checked over that section with a fine tooth comb, but just more clads, memorials and one or two more wheaties.

It was 5 o'clock already, time flies when you're finding silver! My dad called on my cell, my son's dog was overdue to be walked, and my dad doesn't walk dogs, though he should for the exercise (son at his mother's).

Well, I could barely walk by now, another sure sign that it was time to quit.

I stopped by Marta's place to show her the silver coins but she was out. While I was driving to my dad's, it starting pouring.

Silver trifecta = dime, quarter, half.

Other finds: 1941 Jefferson, 1926 wheatie-16 wheaties total, metro dade transit token (transit no longer using tokens), Canadian penny.

P.S. This is the 8th weekend of those weekends that I hunted, that I found silver, and 9th of 10. This makes 45 silvers found MD''ing since April, and 34 since July 31, when I started using my infamous hunt site selection parameters. If anyone is interested in my method of finding sites to search in Miami Fl (possibly applicable to other cities), pm me.

Silver Totals: 2 walking liberties; 7 Washington quarters; 13 rosies; 22 mercs, 1 barber dime, plus about 115 wheaties.

Next weekend is the monster community yard sale in Chapel Trail, a suburb of Pembroke Pines, which is a suburb about equidistant (30mi) from Ft Lauderdale and Miami. There are so many homes that participate in this sale, that one year I went from 7am-5pm, and still had not covered all the housing developments. I had to go home and empty the suv, come back and filled it again. So, no silver hunt report next weekend. Also, unless i find new search sites, i may have about run out of new, unsearched sites here in the miami area.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28197.msg199949.html#msg199949

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

10-30-11 half 2rosies quarter 16wheats.JPG
10-30-1136half 35quarter 56 62 dime web.JPG
IMG_20111030_162430.jpg

2012 totals (8/2/12)/ gold rings-4; Sterling jewelry-15; wheaties-48; IH-2; war nickel-1; Barber quarter-1; Franklin half-1;Mercury dime-3; .90 rosies-2; Biker ring $215; .90 Wash. quarters-2; vnickel-1;

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice finds, Scaupus!  Very interesting story Too!  Thanks for sharing it!  Great and good finds to you.  Keep on swingin'!   Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28197.msg199955.html#msg199955

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: