[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

. . . found my very first 1942 silver quarter in the woods.

It was sunny and dry in Chitown today after a flash thunderstorm yesterday that stopped my hunt for the rest of the day. Decided today to go out for an afternoon hunt to the woods with my wife (she is now into MD  Great), but first stopped at our neighborhood's park for a quick hunt for it was basically empty. This Chicago police officer passed by an saw my wife and I detecting. The female Sergeant officer stopped her squad close to us and began to observe us. As soon as she saw me pulling my digger to check a signal, she stepped out and asked us what we were doing. I responded the usual, metal detecting, blah, blah, blah. To my surprise, she claimed that I could not dig in a park. I responded that we were not doing anything illegal and that MD in the Chicago Park District was allowed. Well, she shut my mouth stating that I could not tell her what the law was. Digging in a park is not allowed (maybe because she, the almighty, said so). That people could be fearful of us, that we were killing the grass (there was no grass where we was), that the poor tax payers were seeing their money wasted (I almost crack on that one) for ruining their park (hey is also my park). Also, that we were taking other people's property by keeping money or anything someone lost. She asked for our IDs and after checking us, ASKED US to leave the park and go somewhere else  Angry. What about that??? We left, but my wife got angry as well because she asked her to go and detect our own yard.

Well, we were really bothered by the prepotent officer, but to protect our freedom to detect that we enjoy in Illinois, I decided not to raise waves, forget all about it and move on. Two hours later I found my first silver quarter ever and that saved my day. Also, found the nice marble I eyeballed in a little creek.

Many officers have seen me detecting and digging in many parks and this is the first incident I have of this kind. BUT IT WILL NOT STOP US   Laughed my ass off

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178219.html#msg178219

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1942 Quarter.JPG
Yellow Marble-2.JPG

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Get a copy of the Part Regulations and keep them in your pocket.

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178230.html#msg178230

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I read the city ordinances in the towns I hunt and ask permission from the parks people first.  I have read quite a few ordinances lately that include the phrase "There shall be no destruction or defacing of park equipment or park vegitation", or some such language.  So technically digging a hole thru vegitation (grass) could be construed as vandalism.  Digging in a bare dirt area or in sand, I don't think could apply.  But having worked for a municipality for 30 years I know it comes down to the city personnel and prosecutor initially interpreting how the ordinances are enforced.  And there is also inconsistancy in how things are enforced.  One cop may see you throw a candy wrapper out your window and do nothing and another may ticket you for it.  Its often left up to the official's discretion.  That's why I get a NAME of the official who gave me permission.  I'm not correcting you about anything I'm just adding to your thread.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 09:10:15 PM
Oh, and congrats on your finds!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178236.html#msg178236

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:14:11 pm by Okletsee »

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Same here, I carry written permission with me at all times when in the park or parks I normally don't frequent. But like said above...its all in the officer's mood at the time I think. I once was spotted by an officer while in the city park. He said he'd be off duty soon and he returned with his detector. Turned out to be a good MD relationship. Great finds there Cyber  Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178241.html#msg178241

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Funny. Here in Perth, I get called on occasionally to help the local police with finding things that might be lost or hidden evidence. It all started a few years ago when I found a bloody knife in a children's tot lot. I rang the police, the arrived and took it, thanked me and then asked me to continue searching so their forensics team could bag everything.

They had a detector in the forensic team truck but their experience level is not as high as mine so they were happy to let me continue assisting. They have called me on a few occasions since then to assist the forensics team as a volunteer. Sweet. It also does a lot to boost the image of detectorists. I like that bit.

Good luck with your plucky police officer. As has been suggested, carry your park regulations with you even if you have to print them from the city of Chicago web site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178245.html#msg178245

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Get a copy of the Part Regulations and keep them in your pocket.

Cool

Good idea and I will, although this officer refused to let us talk.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178249.html#msg178249

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:54:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When the park groundskeepers here give me the evil eye, I show them all the sharp, dangerous things I pick up along the way. Then we start talking about the low life creeps who leave wires, nails and razor blades in the tot lots. Suddenly, I go from a potential problem to a hero in their book. Also, I get the parents of children on side by showing them the nasties I find. Sometimes, if the kids are old enough, I let them try it for a while. Fun for them, good will for us.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178250.html#msg178250

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Okletsee
I read the city ordinances in the towns I hunt and ask permission from the parks people first.  I have read quite a few ordinances lately that include the phrase "There shall be no destruction or defacing of park equipment or park vegitation", or some such language.  So technically digging a hole thru vegitation (grass) could be construed as vandalism.  Digging in a bare dirt area or in sand, I don't think could apply.  But having worked for a municipality for 30 years I know it comes down to the city personnel and prosecutor initially interpreting how the ordinances are enforced.  And there is also inconsistancy in how things are enforced.  One cop may see you throw a candy wrapper out your window and do nothing and another may ticket you for it.  Its often left up to the official's discretion.  That's why I get a NAME of the official who gave me permission.  I'm not correcting you about anything I'm just adding to your thread.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 09:10:15 PM
Oh, and congrats on your finds!

As far as I know, there is a state law requiring a permit to MD in state parks. There are no ordinances against MD in Chicago parks or forest preserves. I'm not certain about an ordinance related to defacing or destroying park property, but will check that one out. Thanks for looking.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 09:57:10 PM
Quote:Posted by cache
Same here, I carry written permission with me at all times when in the park or parks I normally don't frequent. But like said above...its all in the officer's mood at the time I think. I once was spotted by an officer while in the city park. He said he'd be off duty soon and he returned with his detector. Turned out to be a good MD relationship. Great finds there Cyber  Clapp

Thanks. I also came across with an officer that approached me and asked how I was doing and then old me he also did it. He then wished me luck and left. Another one even gave me places I could go to find old coins. Like I said, this the first time this happens.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178253.html#msg178253

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It wouldn't surprise me if she comes back looking for you in her park again some day.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178254.html#msg178254

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Okletsee
It wouldn't surprise me if she comes back looking for you in her park again some day.

She was not even from my area. She just happened to be a passer by. But sure, she would be around for more obsessive confrontation

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 10:09:54 PM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
When the park groundskeepers here give me the evil eye, I show them all the sharp, dangerous things I pick up along the way. Then we start talking about the low life creeps who leave wires, nails and razor blades in the tot lots. Suddenly, I go from a potential problem to a hero in their book. Also, I get the parents of children on side by showing them the nasties I find. Sometimes, if the kids are old enough, I let them try it for a while. Fun for them, good will for us.

Thanks for the advice GD. I have not hunted but a couple of tot lots, but have found lots of broken bottle glasses, and sharp objects.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.msg178257.html#msg178257

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: