[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline avision4u2livebyTopic starter
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I didnt feel like going anywhere today so I went out to the old farm behind my house again (nothing stands anymore it was built in the 1830's and the last building torn down about 10 years ago). Since I'm the only one allowed to detect it, Ive been keeping it handy for bad weather days while I go hit my other sites when the weather is nice. The site is a nightmare to detect. I start by filling a garbage bag with shredded aluminum can scraps laying on the ground EVERYWHERE, Then manuever through all the pieces still buried to get at the good stuff. The coins here have been few and far between as far as old ones, but that site has found me the 4 oldest coins of this year so far, and the best relics and jewelry of any site Ive detected this year.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg193992.html#msg193992

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

today 9-7-11 001_small.jpg
today 9-7-11 002_small.jpg
today 9-7-11 003_small.jpg
today 9-7-11 004_small.jpg
today 9-7-11 005_small.jpg

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Weldone vision, you got a good range of finds there, Is that crotald bell made of a base metal or tin

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg193993.html#msg193993

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Check out that capgun! gold plated!! I started rinsing everything and the plating was flying off lol. No silver today, just pennies, the oldest was 1944. Also found the kids play spot, found the little cupcake tin? and 2 matching other tins, one being mangled.  NO clue what that iron thing under the gun is, its got rivets like it held wood at one time and the wood is long gone. it was deep like the tins at around 12-14". Found a complete and unbroken cowbell! usually those are busted or corroded beyond belief, I assume its bronze by the color of it. The rock to the left of it was neat because it was "worked" not broken, I found it in the same hole as the keys (actually 4 holes about 2' in diameter area). Anybody know what the lead weights were for? Looks like they can be broken off each other in that strip and each one says "1/4 oz ,  7 GM"  Also found a knitting needle. While I was out there, I located another corner of the old barn foundation. I think I found all the main buildings on the site now including the outhouse and there was a blacksmith shop on the property.

Posted on: September 07, 2011, 10:17:01 PM
Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Weldone vision, you got a good range of finds there, Is that crotald bell made of a base metal or tin

AU

I dont know for sure yet, just rinsed everything for a pic. Looks like bronze though.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg193998.html#msg193998

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

today 9-7-11 006_small.jpg
today 9-7-11 007_small.jpg

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those lead weights are off a Mag wheel on a car they stick on the flat edge and in the backs of the wheels
and your cowbell/crotal bell they can date back thousands of years

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg193999.html#msg193999

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those lead weights are off a Mag wheel on a car they stick on the flat edge and in the backs of the wheels

AU
[/quote

AU

Ah thats what the lead wieghts are for! Your right......its not a "cowbell" I dont know what kind to call it but Ive found others at that site, none in that good of condition. Also gotta remember the USA is a baby compared to the history of the rest of the countries of the world. Most likely that bell is 100-300 yrs old tops.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194002.html#msg194002

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sweet action vision. I finally got out, will post pics soon. noit as cool as yours though

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194003.html#msg194003

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah that style of bell is called a crotal bell and back in the middle ages they were used to ward off evil spirits,
I found one about 3-4 years ago its about 1" to an 1,1/4" across and is about 4-500 yrs old and is rough cast
and you can see how it was hand finished it is some kind of dark metal and it still has the pea/rattler in it,
so its complete,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194005.html#msg194005

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That would be awsome to find something like that. Vision we need to get together and go to tippicanoe area near the battlefield.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194008.html#msg194008

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Renegade7
That would be awsome to find something like that. Vision we need to get together and go to tippicanoe area near the battlefield.

Funny you said that just now.....When my house sells, I'm moving to FL and I want to hit the battle of Wabash again before I move. We could meet up there sometime, or your always welcome to come here. I'll share a couple good sites with you, if you want to make a day of it sometime. Check out this coin Im thinking of buying

Shawnee Nation - Battle of the Wabash - $1 - 2007 - Proof Silver Crown - COA -Yes! Native American tribes issue their own coinage too! At least the Sovereign Nation of the Shawnee Tribe in Oklahoma has been doing it since 2002, adding their weight of silver and gold to the market of world coins. The coin's reverse side contains 12 stars representing the original 12 tribes of the Shawnee Indian Nation. If you are a collector of world coins, have an interest in unique American commemoratives, or possess a pride in the resurgence of Native American tribes then this beautiful proof silver crown with its certificate of authenticity should be in your collection. The Battle of the Wabash was fought on November 4, 1791, in the Northwest Territory between the United States and the Western Confederacy of American Indians, as part of the Northwest Indian War. It was a major Native American victory, and remains the greatest loss to Native American forces by the United States Army in history. The Native Americans were led by Little Turtle of the Miamis, Blue Jacket of the Shawnees, and Buckongahelas of the Delawares, who led his 480 men to join the 700 warriors of Little Turtle and Blue Jacket. In comparison, the opposing force of about 1,000 Americans were led by General Arthur St. Clair who had proved to be an able commander during the American Revolutionary War. However, the Western Confederacy eventually was victorious. The battle was the most severe defeat ever suffered by the United States Army at the hands of Native Americans; indeed, in proportional terms of losses to strength it was the worst defeat that United States forces have ever suffered in battle. As a result, President George Washington forced St. Clair to resign his post, and Congress initiated its first investigation of the executive branch. Of the 1,000 troops that St. Clair led into battle, only 48 escaped unharmed. This coin was minted from one ounce of .999 fine silver and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity.

Here is a pic of the last indian collectable coin I bought last week.

Posted on: September 07, 2011, 11:10:51 PM
Yeah that style of bell is called a crotal bell and back in the middle ages they were used to ward off evil spirits,
I found one about 3-4 years ago its about 1" to an 1,1/4" across and is about 4-500 yrs old and is rough cast
and you can see how it was hand finished it is some kind of dark metal and it still has the pea/rattler in it,
so its complete,

AU

Cool, I need help with evil spirits!  Cheesy I'll be careful when I clean it, its soaking now, but it still has somethng inside that makes it ring. Maybe with my evil spirits I should make a necklace out of it to wear 24/7?  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194017.html#msg194017

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

today 047_small.jpg
today 048_small_small.jpg
today 049_small_small.jpg
today 050_small_small.jpg

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 05:32:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Vision, that is a thing of beauty, I have never heard of that coin seeing as I am over here,
The UK has some amazing history,
But I always feel US history is a very personal thing because the history is more accountable because it is a little
younger than europe and I feel for all the people of those times because went through hell,
thanks for sharing and the History text truely great

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27401.msg194036.html#msg194036

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: