[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
I know the Teseros dont do well.

I'm not doubting you, casca, and I haven't used Tesoros as much as I would like (and I am a fan of the F4), but I'm surprised that you say the Tesoro doesn't do very well where you're at.   Across the border here in Arizona all the Tesoro owners I know love them.  (and I know quite a few of them including several folks who have a variety of machines and have been hunting for a whole lot of years.)   What kind of problems have you had with the Tesoro, and have you had them serviced by the factory?

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg145700.html#msg145700

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi BA,

Theres a few different ways I could go with this. I dont mean to take anything away from those Arizona guys, I hope to meet a few of them and the Tesero in operation.

I almost bought a Tesero, but I couldn't figure out why any one would sell a brand new Tesero, used only a few hours on it. I have my suspicions, but will keep them to myself. I know the Whites works because of all the people who I trust for help has one.

I have spent the last few months figuring out my new hobby. My area has a lot of iron, so hopefully I have made the right choices with looking at an older garret or F4 for a coin shooter. The whites is my choice for gold hunting. These are my next two machines.

There are a few things that stick out in these machines that make them just a little better for me. Not stuff I see on the websites.

Give me a year and ask me again.

I will say one thing, the Prospector types in this area are tight lipped. The facts that they MAY all may own Tesero's and keep it all under their hat doesnt help. I think too much is put into the machines, and not the other stuff you need to be doing. Every time I read a good post, I always look at what that person is using if they list it. 

Im just realizing that frequency and the ability of machines to find small gold is pretty important. I believe the Teseros work well under the 50 khz or higher frequencys. Correct me if Im wrong so I dont steer other newbies the wrong way.

As for coins, the ability to have manual and auto ground balance, and the ability to adjust threshold is important. Im still not convinced there is a machine that is that good on discrimination. My last hunt made me laugh, and I felt like a little kid, but thats another story.

I do not own a Tesero, but I have a nail hunter I use like one. Does that count? Would any serious Tesero owner ever gb their machine three inches above the ground to search for targets? Or to pinpoint a target in a hole? Im thinking of putting up a video on the subject.

You older guys can be rough, so I hope I didnt pull anyones chain. I enjoy the forums, and the post. I make mistakes at this point, but thats fun too. I dont want to start a fight or beat any machine up.

I recently read a post about someone who sent their brand new machine not once, but three times back to the company. I then seen a major sponsor beat up another forum user. Im glad the forums are here, I have met some neat people. The psonsors make that happen. Maybe I will see more about Tesero to change my mind in the future, but I doubt it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg145908.html#msg145908

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:10:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok....all that makes sense.   

You're right, the Tesoros don't operate at the 50 kHz range, but at 17 to 18 kHz both the Tejon and especially the Lobo Super Traq are pretty good at picking up small nuggets.   The other Tesoros are designed for no or low frills basic metal detecting (coin shooting, jewelry, and relic hunting mainly).   What threw me was the comment about them not working well in the area that you hunt.  I've spent as much or more time rockhounding in southern New Mexico than I have in south central Arizona, and I just don't see that much difference between the two areas.   Both have really high iron content and the mineral makeups are very similar.

Like Seldom, and GD, and Homefire, and the rest of us say, there really is no such thing as a "best detector".  It all gets down to what are you most comfortable using and what are you getting the best results with.   

As long as you are concentrating on being the best detectorist you can be and try to get the most out of your detector you're going to wind up ahead of most of the other people out there swinging a detector.  Keep focusing on the mental aspects of the hunt (learning how to read the clues and what to look for as well as learning the capabilities and limitations of your machine) and you'll do better than average no matter what machine you have in your hands.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg145932.html#msg145932

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks BA, Im just figuring it all out.

I hope I get a chance to put my money where my mouth is.

I dont mean to beat up a 17 khz machine, Im sure they do well.

Its going to be 80 degree's tomorrow, hope my neck lets me get out.

Its all new to me, so Im having fun.

I like the Tesero cause it sings to ya, and no display screen that lies to you. I know they are deep. But can they find the fine gold?

Im willing to take a chance on the F4 as I think I can do better because of discrimination. I have some older historic sites I want to just detect and not dig till Im sure whats there. I found some old tree whose roots have absorbed something, and I need a two box to check leads like that.

If you had to look for small nuggets, and fine gold, what would you choose? The Tesero Lobo, or the Whites GMT? Thats what I should have said. But its what your comfortable with. Im ready to get serious, time for a serious machine.

I would like to hear from some Tesero users that have used thier machine for fine gold and their results.

Thanks guys.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg145935.html#msg145935

Offline Bulldog1948Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GC 1036 Gold Digger
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 12:08:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey CASCA,
Thanks for the nickel tip. I wrote you last night, but i guess I forgot to hit the Post button Angry
I had to laugh, the machine that Moma got me for Xmas cost $49.95, so mines about in the same range as yours.  Grin
I'm going to try and get out for a little bit today. I've got my eye on a local park, have no idea if it's ever been hunted; but I doubt it.
I don't know about your machine, but the chinese made mine backwards.  Cheesy It talks all the time, Idiot you know a buzz sound and when it hits, it quits and then does its beep. Completely different than the Coinmaster, where it doesn't make noise until you hit the target and then beeps.
Our daughter, grandaughter and g-grandauhter are going to St Augustine beach this weekend and MD; can't wait to hear what they find. Also turned our daughter onto MDing in the surf, lottsa goodies hiding in there. Smiley
Mike Detecting I know that golds hiding there just waiting on me

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg146170.html#msg146170

Bulldog 1948
Huntin' the Hills, Hollers, & Ridges of SE Ohio

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 01:07:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bulldog, I envy you being able to hunt with the kids. I lived my whole life for my kids and they upped and moved to Kansas.

I see three types of detectors on here. VLF single frequency, vlf multi frequency, and Pulse Induction machines. They all work off similar principles. But the manufacturers have programed them different to perform a certain function. So I want the machine for the job. There is more to it than that.

No machine does it all. Also there is no book that is gonna help you like practice.

Can you tune out all but just a little of the hum? Try placing the coil on the ground before you turn it on.

Another trick to finding the prize is turning your machine off, setting it next to the target, and turning the machine back on. This may or may not work for you.

Also nobody really shows how to dig a proper plug. If your digging holes, take the time to dig straight down, and be sure to mash the plug back in the hole. If water and mowers can dislodge the plug, its not dug right.

Air test are ok with playing with the settings. But you will see a max depth you find coins. I use that for digging, I can pull out a plug and the coin is in there almost every time. Air test don't even come close for the BH 202. It goes 8 inches or more if I would turn it up. I set my machine for 3 inches as most parks here have a vapor shield at 6 inches, and a nail holding it every two feet.

That coin master may run a little hotter if you can get a slight hum out of it. I don't use one, yet.

Md in the surf, wet sand, and on the beach may be a chore with either detector. But let me know what you found out. I took a coffee can and put some expanded metal in the bottom to find my targets in the tots lots that have sand. Some places rent md, you might check. Im not up on beach hunting, but know the BH I have has been given a thumbs up by others.

The beach guys have the nicest finds......

Good luck - john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21359.msg146175.html#msg146175

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: