[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kendavid
I can see your point and understand why you are laughing Grin

Speaking of pyrites, Brian. You among others here have advised me to do a "crush" test. Violent Well I did and got mixed results. After panning, the first golden color I could see ended up being pyrites.  Cry But if you are careful and get rid of the pyrites and some black sand, you see that different color that's not as reflective but it's still a dull golden color. It doesn't crush and is malleable and there's so little of it. Nitric acid only slightly affects it but even so it shows that the quality isn't great. Undecided
As for finding out which mine the rocks came from, there's no trail to follow because the company that delivered the rocks are no longer in business and cannot be contacted. It doesn't matter  Wink I'm not interested anyway. I'd rather be  Detecting .
Thanks all  Great
kd

I dont know about nitric acid, it is bad stuff.... and NEVER breath the fumes!

I have a better idea.... get a small porcelain crucible and some borax (washing borax or boracic acid;) put your sample in the crucible and add a pinch or two of borax; take a small plumbers propane torch and heat the contents, without blowing everything out of the crucible, until the borax melts, then you give it more heat, until everything melts. Let it cool.... you should have a tiny gold button.... IF it is real gold.

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg50251.html#msg50251

goldigger

Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:54:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
I dont know about nitric acid, it is bad stuff.... and NEVER breath the fumes!

I have a better idea.... get a small porcelain crucible and some borax (washing borax or boracic acid;) put your sample in the crucible and add a pinch or two of borax; take a small plumbers propane torch and heat the contents, without blowing everything out of the crucible, until the borax melts, then you give it more heat, until everything melts. Let it cool.... you should have a tiny gold button.... IF it is real gold.

goldigger

I still have that little teaser in a bottle and I will pick up some borax and try it. I will post the results here. Wish me luck.
And by the way, Brian. Nitric acid IS really bad stuff. I got just a drop on my finger and washed it off immediately. My skin turned brown where I contacted the acid and stayed brown for a couple of days!
HH all,
Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg50302.html#msg50302

KD

Offline kev
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1015.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

c.scope
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 11:37:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

bling blong not bling bling Cheesy Cheesy Angry Angry  happy detecting by

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg50469.html#msg50469

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 02:14:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

I still have that little teaser in a bottle and I will pick up some borax and try it. I will post the results here. Wish me luck.
And by the way, Brian. Nitric acid IS really bad stuff. I got just a drop on my finger and washed it off immediately. My skin turned brown where I contacted the acid and stayed brown for a couple of days!
HH all,
Ken

Wow! You are lucky!

Glass is the only thing to keep it in and it can slowly dissolve the bottle, a plastic layer between the fumes and the lid is of no use! The acid seems to pass through the plastic (polyethylene, too,) without harming it, just to get at the metal.

Lye is the only other common liquid that I know of, that will slowly dissolve glass.

It eats fingers, too, dry lye flakes are deliquescent, that is "water seeking." But it can remove small amounts of lead, from concentrate.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg50994.html#msg50994

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 07:30:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, My neighbor (who processes for the gold mines here) was the one that gave me the bit of nitric acid and he gave it with a strict warning. Come to think of it, I see him on a regular basis and he always has brown spots on his fingers. Now I know why. Grin He demonstrated the acid on a chunk of gold (5 kilos) that he had processed (no smoke or any reaction at all) and then he tested it on a 25 centavo coin and it began smoking and boiling immediately.

I thanked him and then started to put the bottle in my pocket............. Shocked Shocked Shocked He stopped me. He recommended that I place the bottle inside another bottle and then keep it in a safe place but never in your pocket. Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51187.html#msg51187

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 05:38:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, My neighbor (who processes for the gold mines here) was the one that gave me the bit of nitric acid and he gave it with a strict warning. Come to think of it, I see him on a regular basis and he always has brown spots on his fingers. Now I know why. Grin He demonstrated the acid on a chunk of gold (5 kilos) that he had processed (no smoke or any reaction at all) and then he tested it on a 25 centavo coin and it began smoking and boiling immediately.

I thanked him and then started to put the bottle in my pocket............. Shocked Shocked Shocked He stopped me. He recommended that I place the bottle inside another bottle and then keep it in a safe place but never in your pocket. Grin

He gives good advice!

The one I had, about 4 ounces of the stuff, finally went into an out door biffy. Holy Smoke!

That is one way to renew yer biffy.

How did the borax smelt go?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51329.html#msg51329

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 08:18:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

He gives good advice!

The one I had, about 4 ounces of the stuff, finally went into an out door biffy. Holy Smoke!

That is one way to renew yer biffy.

How did the borax smelt go?

goldigger

In between my busy schedule I have checked several places for Borax but no luck yet. Finding things like that here is harder than you would think. I think I will check with my neighbor and find out if they use borax and I could just get some through him. I still have my little teaser bottle. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51363.html#msg51363

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 01:23:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In between my busy schedule I have checked several places for Borax but no luck yet. Finding things like that here is harder than you would think. I think I will check with my neighbor and find out if they use borax and I could just get some through him. I still have my little teaser bottle. Smiley

Washing borax can be had at any store, just about. The '20-mule-team' type is what we have, and may have some washing soda, or, try some place that does oxy-acetylene welding, you use borax (called FLUX, in this case,) on the brass welding rod.

You need less than a 1/4 tea spoon.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51413.html#msg51413

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Washing borax can be had at any store, just about. The '20-mule-team' type is what we have, and may have some washing soda, or, try some place that does oxy-acetylene welding, you use borax (called FLUX, in this case,) on the brass welding rod.

You need less than a 1/4 tea spoon.

goldigger

I asked for borax (didn't see any) at some of the grocery stores here and I get the same reply =  Huh?

I can get the flux from welding rods and that's a good idea. Thanks Great

Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51450.html#msg51450

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 02:01:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

I asked for borax (didn't see any) at some of the grocery stores here and I get the same reply =  Huh?

I can get the flux from welding rods and that's a good idea. Thanks Great

Ken

They probably do not know it by that name.... even the *20 Mule Team* borax may not say borax but water softener  or something else. My  grandpa drove a 20 mule team, I have been told. (quite aside.)

Borax is used to treat wood fiber to make it fire-proof. ??

The welding supplier is the best bet.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7904.msg51572.html#msg51572

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: