[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline scaupusTopic starter
Copper Member

Slow Down, you're moving too fast
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Eagle Spectrum,
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:19:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

I hunted road-side swales yesterday. I found 3 wheaties from the 1950's, 1 1934 mercury, 1 1951 quarter, and over $8 in clads and a bunch of copper alloy items. The little gold-plated fish charm I dug up a few months ago from a park, but I had lost it in the car before I could include it in a photo and only found it again yesterday. That sort of makes it a new find, so I included it here. That crusty item near the bottom I think may be part of a gigantic old resistor and the two thick wires coming up out of it are goldplated. Using a loupe I could see the plating is as thick as the wire inside it. Interesting item. There were some mica layers on it, but those fell apart.

The WB padlock is sort of interesting. The hasp is not steel, it is, like the casing, a copper alloy (brass/bronze). This company started in 1860 and still makes padlocks, which are a bit pricey.

{alt}

Next week I leave the mean streets and start beach-hunting! I have an old Sovereign xa-2 Pro to use at the beach. It is kind of clunky to use with the old heavy 10" BBS coil, but I'll see how it goes. I may sell it if its too bottom heavy for me.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197483.html#msg197483
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Scaup/Buried%20Treasure/10-9-11findsfull-1.jpg

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:47:28 am by scaupus »

2012 totals (8/2/12)/ gold rings-4; Sterling jewelry-15; wheaties-48; IH-2; war nickel-1; Barber quarter-1; Franklin half-1;Mercury dime-3; .90 rosies-2; Biker ring $215; .90 Wash. quarters-2; vnickel-1;

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:46:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

and here i was thinking you'd spelt sales wrong  Grin

but what roadside sale sells that?   Funny  that's a charming charm you found  Great

and the rusty thing? that's a power transistor in a TO3 case, they are mounted on the chassis of the equipment
to help dissipate heat and the mica washers are used to insulate it from the frame.

well done on a productive hunt
JJ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197484.html#msg197484

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Scaupus!  Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!  Welcome   

As for your little fish pendant, I found one on a beach in Hawaii many years ago.  I included a photo of it in an artlicle I wrote and a few months later a letter was printed in the same magazine from the maker of it.  He was based in Hawaii.  Interesting finds you made and some cool ones.  Thanks for sharing them!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197503.html#msg197503

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline scaupusTopic starter
Copper Member

Slow Down, you're moving too fast
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Eagle Spectrum,
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for that info about the fish. I had no idea it had such an exotic origin. I have a friend, a surfer, who lives in Kaui, or however its spelled.Unfortunately, he's become a drug and alchohol derelict, refuses to leave the island and I cannot get in touch with him, though I've talked to his daughter and his mother, who live stateside. Do you know anyone on that island?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197547.html#msg197547

2012 totals (8/2/12)/ gold rings-4; Sterling jewelry-15; wheaties-48; IH-2; war nickel-1; Barber quarter-1; Franklin half-1;Mercury dime-3; .90 rosies-2; Biker ring $215; .90 Wash. quarters-2; vnickel-1;

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:36:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know anyone there any more.  Used to have some friends that lived on Kuai but they moved back stateside years ago.

I haven't been to Hawaii since 1994, so it has been a while for me!  I'd like to go back with my detector again sometime soon.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197549.html#msg197549

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:02:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice finds. You have more luck than me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27856.msg197572.html#msg197572

WB4RAV

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: