[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline IslandpaddlerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A couple of nights ago we hand the remains of Cyclone Wilma pass over the North Isl of NZ.  Here on Waiheke that meant floods, some landslides and the loss of a house above one of the beaches.  It also meant that any small drain or runoff along the beaches gouged out channels up to 1m deep.  The morning after the storm I hit these channels with the detector and had some amasing finds.  In one 2 hour hunt I totaled 92 coins and surprisingly almost no junk. Half these coins where also pre-decimal (before 1967 here) and included quite a number of pre-1947 silvers.  

A lot of the coins where in very good condition since the channels are deep enough to uncover the base clay - mud under the sand and the coins have been spending the last 50-100 years in anaerobic conditions.  

This morning I headed to a beach that is good for modern clad, didn't find much clad but came away with a nice selection of pre-decimals and silver coins.  Anyway I was happily working a channel - beep, dig, beep, dig and looked up to see an older couple standing watching me.  I ignored them and the next beep was a 62 on the AT Pro.  This normally means either a valueless old 10c coin or gold.  After a couple of scoops I saw the glint of yellow in the bottom of the hole.

I plucked it out, stood up and entered a state of shock!  The couple must have noticed my mouth hanging open and heard the bursts of giggles that kept erupting from me because she asked if I had found anything.  I handed it over to her for a look and after her mouth popped open she said "I wonder how fast I can run"  "Not fast enough" was my reply!

I never even dreamed I would see a sovereign let alone find one after only 5 weeks MD'ing.  Those giggles are still bursting out from me now and again!

So now between the gold and silver rings, the sovereign and $250 in clad the AT Pro has paid for the $1277NZ it cost me to get into the country.

1st pic below is of this mornings finds (they have yet to be cleaned)
Made a mistake in the pic - the Shillings and Sixpence should read Sixpence and Thrupence
2nd pic is a close up of the sovereign (looking exactly like how it came out of the sand).

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21062.msg140578.html#msg140578

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

30-Jan-11-Finds.jpg
Sovereign-(1-of-1).jpg

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:24:55 pm by Islandpaddler »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You have the POWERS!

Pre decimal shillings were silver No?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21062.msg140586.html#msg140586

Offline IslandpaddlerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not all.  After 1946 they stopped using silver and started using copper-nickel.  So any silver looking coin after 1946 won't have any silver content. 

Just got a big of a surprise when I cleaned that black looking 1/2 crown from this mornings finds.  1844 Queen Victoria. Its another 1st for me heading into the 1800's since my previous oldest coin was 1908.  Won't be touching it anymore and wouldn't have cleaned it this much if I had known what it was before hand (not valuable - just old and $16NZ worth of silver content).  Europeans only started settling on Waiheke in the 1830's so either it was a very old coin when it was lost or I got lucky!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21062.msg140591.html#msg140591

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Half-Crown.jpg

Offline Fast Eddie
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

famous trails
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:29:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nice finds I hope I get lucky someday...
Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21062.msg142918.html#msg142918

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: