[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, I just had to stop when I saw this old trail next to a very old cemetery that I found while taking a new route home from work today.  On that trail was the type of target that I ALWAYS pass up.  The ID kept floating around on my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 which always indicates TRASH.  It was pretty deep for something it's size so I can't fault the detector ( more than 4 inches with grass keeping the coil a couple of inches farther away). 

I almost threw it in my little paper bag trash bag that I picked up off of the floor of my truck to use on this trip.   It looked like bent up broken end of a pull tab until I read "Half" on one side.  The other side said "1858"!!

I guess that I wont be impressing too many people here with this post surrounded between a 2000 yr old Roman coin and a 300 yr old gold coin but this is the coin that I have been waiting for since I found my 1952 half dollar and my 1924 Merc.  I have been wanting to break the 1900 century mark very very VERY badly and today was the day!!

1858 Half Dime from Philly!!

It is in just about the worst condition you can get but the date sure is clear!!.  The first pic is before I straightened it.  I still can't believe how anyone ever kept from losing these guys.  They are FREAK TINY!!!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152238.html#msg152238

Tri City Ditty

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very good job. Those BH 505 are silver monstersss! Silver is silver and history is history. Nice find bro. Keep on the look out for more of those.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152242.html#msg152242

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And now you know why Seldom and GD and a bunch of the rest of us keep saying "if it beeps, dig it".  If you get dependent on your digital display instead of your ears, you're likely to miss more than a few good targets.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152245.html#msg152245

Offline bluenoser
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you150

Activity
0%

16258.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:47:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

From the land of the Bluenose.....nice but I was wondering why the coin was bent i nthe first place sir....too sad youz!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152295.html#msg152295

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to this advice, I dug out my first Mercury accompanied by 5 wheaties, among a lot of trash.  Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152326.html#msg152326

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on your milestone of breaking into the 19th century. My first thought was same as bluenoser - wondering why it was bent.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152327.html#msg152327

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Triditty WELDONE, I pleased you broke into yester year in a masive way congrats, proud of ya Cool Cool Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152331.html#msg152331

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the nice replies guys.  I guess that I will comment on the two main points of your posts...

As for digging iffy targets, I have been doing a whole lot of scouting lately.  When scouting, I don't want to dig up any place too badly and I only bring my work blade.  Walking around with a shovel digging up holes left and right could get me in a bind even on public land but just poking around with a knife on only a select few spots will almost certainly not be a problem.  I am not stupid enough to go to a private spot but I still don't want to risk any trouble anywhere until I know the whole story.  There is still a very remote possibility that this cemetery is on an old families private land.  It is remote, but still possible.  There were a couple of very recent graves and even a brand new cover stone prepped to be used on one side.  I will now have to research this plot in the city's archives now that I like the area.

The point is simply that I usually don't want to dig up too many iffy targets until I am 100 percent comfortable with a spot.  This spot, however, had very little trashy targets that were not ID'ed all iron.  I discriminate all iron targets and my lowest category is the type that Indian head nickels come up as on this detector.  I was ready to dig when I came across this one so I indulged myself and nearly threw away my oldest find.(lol)

As for how it was bent, I have three possibilities there...

My first was that it was hit by a lawn mower.  There were two bends in it.  The first left an impression and was the most severe.  The second was the type of weak bend that could only happened as a secondary thing such as a blade pushing it up against it's housing(lawn mover) while making the first bend.   

My second thought here was that I bent it with my work blade.  I use a type of blade at work that is very strong and made by Klein for electricians.  I have developed a feel for things when digging with it but have to admit that I could have damaged such a thin piece of silver/copper.       There was a layer of shells near the coin but I still don't think that I did this because the soil was very soft and the  coin was near the top of the layer.  I did not see how thick this layer was though.   The impression was also very jagged while my blade is very smooth.

The last and most likely reason for this is that is was crushed while surrounded by shells when a heavy object was placed above them.  This is actually the most likely as the impression left does not really match my smooth blade.  It matches something very jagged.  The cover stone that I saw waiting to be used would have easily done this and it must have weighed two tons easily.

Although I am very happy with this find, I must admit to being pretty miffed with the condition.  One of my motivations for hunting is to improve my equip by finding valuable items and the price for this coin in perfect condition could have gotten me that new 5000 unit that Minelab brags about.  Heck, I really want that E-Trac and  that bad arse looking Notka Golden King!  It looks like I am going to have to get with one of the locals near that graveyard and find out what kind of etiquette I need to follow there because this coon arse is going to spend some more time at that spot on the way home from work!

I will have to post an inquiry on Bounty Hunter's 10 inch search coil on the appropriate board later.  I know that this coin was at the edge of my unit's range and that shell layer has a whole lot of potential if I can get deeper.   I always seem to be plotting about how to improve my range and I really am curious about the larger coils performance compared to a coil two inches smaller.

And now you all know that I am hopelessly long winded..... sorry bout that. Exhausted

Here is a couple of other angles of the bends in the coin.  You can see why I thought it was the broken end of a pull tab.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152385.html#msg152385

Tri City Ditty

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_3180-be.JPG
IMG_3189-be.JPG

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi there, I bought one of them etracs and sold it after using it for a very short while, I hated the thing with a passion.

It's simple to program and powerful but the meter is as much use as an ashtray on a harley and in a junk filled site

well that was the final straw, all that media hype ain't value for money, so i sold it and bought something thats does

work like it should.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152391.html#msg152391

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmmm, I saw the display and imagined what it was like to use.  Since I am used to the easy to understand ID's on my current unit I can certainly understand why it might be aggravating to use.

It assigns a number value to the ID?  Anyway, the most common review that I had read said that it takes time to learn.  I really want to get a deeper machine.  If you have heard of any unit that truly can go deeper than others and might have a smaller coil to go with it for trashy areas then I would certainly research it for my next detector.

I wonder how that 5000 unit can get in our relatively easy soil?  Louisiana is a river delta that has soft and light soil.  The dirt here is only the lightest that has settled over time from the debris brought down by the Mississippi river and has hardly no metals or rocks. 

I would think that a unit like the 5000 that can work in mineralized soil should go much deeper out here?  I won't buy something that expensive anyway but I am just curious.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152397.html#msg152397

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: