[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When i asked all the top people they all said just ignor the meter it's not importent, coz i could get up to twelve
different sets of numbers for one item, and they all told me the same, it's easy to set up so anyway i took it out and i went over
this piece of ground with a fine toothed comb and the next day i took my old faithful to the same spot and then i dug out the coins
and a ring, and those numbers all kept coming the meter is'nt worth a light, so i went and bought something else that does work
?1200/ $1850.  I don't think so and never again, and before anyone out there says that i did'nt give it a chance, i have been doing
this way top long as to know what i'm doing, the meter is so in accurite i have never dug so many beer cans in all my life.
depending on what type of detecting you do, you should buy the machine that matches it and that may not be the machine you
like but it will be the right one for the job, IGoing back to the meter for a minute. What is the point on having a meter if your
surposed to ignor it, you can't just use it for setting up the machine and checking ya batteries, theres no point in giving it
1760 ID numbers when it does'nt use them properly and one item can give you between 5 and 14 sets of numbers.
and as for my knowledge well the machine is easy to set up as i said before, its just that i want to ID what i dig first
and it really anoyed me when people tell me to ignor the meter when i have paid out so much for something that does'nt
know what its seeing, You would'nt buy a car with an engine that does'nt work would you, so don't buy this machine.
Oh and one more thing it's useless in junk filled sites.

sorry but thats just the way it is, and if your not surposed to use the meter wht put it on it,
And if detecting is gonna be so much hard work then buy a PI machine and get some real depth

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152428.html#msg152428

Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

AU,

This is EXACTLY the type of review that I look for from an experienced hunter.  I might be very studious about my techniques with my detectors but I am still a todler compared to others.  The E-Trac's display certainly does look like it gives you info that you will never use. 

I bought two detectors at the same time at first and now use the Pioneer only because it is simple and just as deep with it's 8 inch coil as the MPX is with it's 10 inch coil.  The 8 inch coil is good in trashy areas now that I have learned it well.

It amazes me at how well I have come to learn that 505.  I have gotten to the point that while pin pointing a target in motion mode I get a great feel of how "trashy" the target is while taking into account the depth of the target.  The deep targets will not have a solid ID so I do not let that discourage me from digging them.  Anyone that says that my model of detector is a beer can magnet has not taken the time to truly learn the unit's neuances.  I know when a target in a can most of the time and make a calculated choice whether or not to see if it might be that 1902 Silver Dollar that still eludes me.  Anyway, most cans ID's fluctuate around the silver coin ID's while a coin stays very very solid.

For $300 US dollars, I have a unit that not only ID's targets very very well, but also tells me their depth so that if the target is too much deeper than the detector says, I know that it cannot be a coin and might just be a pipe or septic tank.

My point is that it will be very difficult for my next detector to live up to this one and still be an improvement.  It will take me some time to feel good about spending the kind of money it will take to improve on what I already have. 

I have just started a thread about the difference in field shape between different sized coils and would be interested in hearing your opinion on this as well.  I think that my next step in improving my depth with the 505 will be to acquire Bounty Hunter's 10 inch search coil and am curious to see any opinions on what to expect from the new coil compared to the two that I already have.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152464.html#msg152464

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
Anyone that says that my model of detector is a beer can magnet has not taken the time to truly learn the unit's neuances.

That can be said of too many detectorists with too many different detectors.   The thing you swing is just a tool.   More often than not the tool between your ears limits the tool you swing more than the other way around.

Master craftsmen can be and are limited by their tools, but a master craftsmen in any field will frequently turn in better results using an average or mediocre tool than will an 'average joe' using a superior tool.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152468.html#msg152468

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377

That can be said of too many detectorists with too many different detectors.   The thing you swing is just a tool.   More often than not the tool between your ears limits the tool you swing more than the other way around.

Master craftsmen can be and are limited by their tools, but a master craftsmen in any field will frequently turn in better results using an average or mediocre tool than will an 'average joe' using a superior tool.

No doubt, I have always taken my unit into the yard when I come up with another technique and that practice has advanced my understanding of my detector greatly.  Air tests are great but even our easy local soil changes things drastically along with surrounding metals and trash.

Experience and keeping an open and curious mind has improved my efficiency greatly and will surely continue to do so.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152472.html#msg152472

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One of my motivations for hunting is to improve my equip by finding valuable items and the price for this coin in perfect condition could have gotten me that new 5000 unit that Minelab brags about.

Well, not really, but in better condition it could've given you a start! Perfect coins are all gem uncirculated and rated MS-70. We all mostly find circulated coins lost by people at one time. The exceptional rarity would be to find a cache of uncirculated coins buried by a collector or coins that are so rare to find that would have significant value even circulated. Keep trying though because I started MD last summer motivated by the guys that found a multi-million cache of old Roman coins. There are valuable coins out there and little by little they all add up to a healthy total.  Wink

Posted on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:46 PM
bought two detectors at the same time at first and now use the Pioneer only because it is simple and just as deep with it's 8 inch coil as the MPX is with it's 10 inch coil.  The 8 inch coil is good in trashy areas now that I have learned it well.

I love my BH505. It is the detector of choice when I travel abroad. That thing can find coins and silver in the most trashy and mineralized areas. I hunted with it in a beach at Los Cabos, Mexico and in no time I found three silver rings and a few coins. Almost all targets registered as silver or coins were accurate, except for a number of cans I found deep in the sand. But I indeed went through a learning curve with it. I learned to "read" and interpret the different tones to the point that I don't even look at the display anymore. I'm gonna try the 4 inches coil this Spring and will report on it later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152545.html#msg152545

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Cyber,

I do love that 4 inch coil.  I will go as far as to say that the prospector coil can separate two coins that are 1 inch apart and five to 8 inches deep depending on what kind of coins they are and the soil they are in.  The 8 inch coil seems to give me no more than three extra inches in depth with larger coins and only a couple of extra inches with small coins.

Other guys most likely can elaborate but that is what I have come to believe. 

That coil is awesome for tight or trashy spots but you are going to have to remember that it only covers less than half of the area that the 8 inch does.  I see it as 2.5 swings to 1 swing with the 8 inch coil.

Let me know how it works for ya.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152561.html#msg152561

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:59:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

TriDitty is right.....4" in coils are fantastic for the purpose for which they were designed (trashy areas and getting into to spots to tight for larger coils--like close to fences, between tightly packed shrubs, along walls, etc)....but if you try to use them hunting an open field you'll be moving a lot slower than normal and not getting as much depth as normal.  This might increase your recovery rate because it forces you to go slow (plus it's easier to pinpoint with the detector alone when you have a smaller coil) or it might frustrate you so much that you swear off 4"ers all together.

My suggestion is start by using the  coil in the situations it was designed for first.....and remember it isn't a substitute for your standard coil, it's a compliment to it.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152564.html#msg152564

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great find!

As to its bend, as kids we used to use silver dimes in our sling shots to bounce them off rocks. They'd make a ricochet sound just like the Lone Ranger's or John Wayne's bullets did. Try it with a clad dime. We'd bend the soft silver dimes every time. I'm not saying this is a fact with your coin but it can be done that way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152772.html#msg152772

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Oh of course I will report on it. I just need to find the right place to use it.

Posted on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:22 AM
Let me see if I have a chance to use it tomorrow. I'm going to a park that has many hard to reach spots, possibly not touced before!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21951.msg152838.html#msg152838

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: