[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline staceysallaboutuTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Xlt Minelab Quattro
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the advise all.  Im posting a pic of the back (It has nothing on it just flat, and for size comparison i used a quarter.  Ya know i just always assumed it was a watch fob never thought of the metal part of it thanks again for all ur help.  Any other ideas are more than welcome, Ill start lookin at my end if I find anything ill be sure to post.

Stacey

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144089.html#msg144089

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

182255_1714035925613_1079634443_1832123_2877228_n.jpg

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Spanish American or WW I war metal had a ribbon run thew it and attached to a bar pin 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144108.html#msg144108

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been through all of the "official" Spanish American and WWI medals and haven't found a match for it yet.   I've also been through most of the Spanish American War reunion memorabilia that I can get hold of with no matches, but I'm still confident that we are in the right time period.   I'd consider looking at Soldiers and Sailors Homes from the period or something like the Soldiers And Sailors Club founded in New York in 1919 (now The Soldiers?, Sailors?, Marines?, Coast Guard and Airmen?s Club ) or a local Veterans group (probably since absorbed by either the VFW or the American Legion).   

If you get much more recent than the early 20's, the overall style starts to look wrong (but especially the style of the uniforms).   On the other hand, if you get back before about 1890 the uniform styles (especially for the soldier) are wrong.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144113.html#msg144113

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I might be way off here BA but in the teens and 20's didn't the Corp of Engineer award a bunch of civilian metals to non military personal?   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144121.html#msg144121

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline staceysallaboutuTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Xlt Minelab Quattro
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I also ment to mention that my son and I found (it) out in the woods not near anything..  Ive been meaning to go back to the sight, The ground bees claimed the area that day.  Maybe there is an old foundation or something hidding there somewhere.  I know a gentleman that loves near here that is knows alot about the valleys history, ill see if hes around to ask. 

Stacey

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144185.html#msg144185

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
I've been through all of the "official" Spanish American and WWI medals and haven't found a match for it yet.   I've also been through most of the Spanish American War reunion memorabilia that I can get hold of with no matches, but I'm still confident that we are in the right time period.   I'd consider looking at Soldiers and Sailors Homes from the period or something like the Soldiers And Sailors Club founded in New York in 1919 (now The Soldiers’, Sailors’, Marines’, Coast Guard and Airmen’s Club ) or a local Veterans group (probably since absorbed by either the VFW or the American Legion).   

If you get much more recent than the early 20's, the overall style starts to look wrong (but especially the style of the uniforms).   On the other hand, if you get back before about 1890 the uniform styles (especially for the soldier) are wrong.

Wished u had asked I went thru all them sites last night looking for that thing, Oh Well if ur like me u found a lot of stuff u didnt know about.

I have a buddy who is a military historian in nashville sent him the pic and he didnt know any more about than any of us did either.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144193.html#msg144193

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:08:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
I might be way off here BA but in the teens and 20's didn't the Corp of Engineer award a bunch of civilian metals to non military personal?   

You could be right about the Army Corps of Engineers giving away a bunch of medals in the 1910's and 1920's,  but I don't think it fits with what we're seeing here---especially if the figure on the left is a sailor like it looks to be.  (That plus nothing else about it fits with anything else I've seen related to the Corps of Eng, including the fact that nothing even vaguely resembling the corps emblem is present on the piece).

The way I see it, this probably falls into one of the following very broad categories:
1)  It is strictly a generic piece that someone would buy on the civilian market as a gift to the their veteran relative or their relative going into military service
2)  It is related to a specific (but currently unknown to us) veterans organization or veterans reunion --- that would have included veterans of both the Army and the Navy (or possibly the Navy and the Marines).  In which case, the veterans probably served sometime between 1885 and 1920.
3)  It is related to a local or state Soldiers and Sailors Home, probably as either a key tag or as a watch fob-- although possibly as an ID tag

I'll sure be happy when someone comes up with a documented answer to this one.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21276.msg144215.html#msg144215

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: