[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 485   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline vikingTopic starter
Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa
Referrals: 0

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All
Usually I get notification on my blackberry when a post has been made but somehow that's not working anymore. I was wondering why it was so quite and then I saw all the post that had been made.Eish!
Work has been really hectic and the wife is away on business so I am alone with the kids as well.
Funny thing is , I was with Wolfgang today and I actually asked him if he Knew about you PGill, he said it rang a bell. They are a tight knit group and I assure you that some of the finds Wolfy has showed me from those hunts will blow your hair back. I mentioned your gold coin to him as well.
He has also invited me to join them on the next hunt and says that the annual hunt for this year was in England but he couldn't go. So lets hope for next year! I'll put in a word for you PGill.
I have been approached for a Boer war gold hunt again and this time they have photos of the bullion being buried lol! So that has got me researching again like a man possessed. But more of that in the Boer Gold section, lest Xavier again need to split the topic.
Really nice to see the posts coming in on South Africa.
As the First Texas Agent in SA I can tell you that the interest in the hobby is getting unbelievable, it just seems that we need to get a little further from the recession and we will have a whole new breed of hunters out there. Detecting
Viking

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126486.html#msg126486

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline jimmyg8138
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab Quattro, White's V3, GarrettInfiniun, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Viking....
Let me introduce myself: Jim Cianelli from Brooklyn NY
In 2006 I had the pleasure of detecting a Boer war site with Pierre, Lukas, Wolf, John and Tony from somewhere near J'burg. It was a trip of all trips. Really enjoyed myself as did most everyone else.
We even climbed up Spienkop (?). That was a trip indeed...I just about made it to the top...
I'm trying to swing a trip back there next September...I'll have to see how 2011 goes before I make any real plans but don't get me wrong, I'd give my right testicle to go there again.I truly enjoyed that week I spent there.
Pierre told me he met Peter and his wife before. I'm not sure Peter remembers him.
Lukas has sold his home outside J'burg and moved to a ranch near Pt Elizabeth. Again, he offered for me to come and spend some time with him there. I was in Hunstanton England with him and Pierre, detecting for a week this past October.
The boys of SA are truly fine people.
Take care and good hearing from you, Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126498.html#msg126498

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 05:36:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jim
Thanks for the introduction and nice to make your acquaintance.
I am really looking forward to getting in on on the Boer site hunts, in the meantime I am starting to pick up good leads on valuables that were buried by the Boers that were going off to war. This is usually on a farms in the Freestate that have been in the same family for many generations. Should make interesting hunting as often the British actually occupied the farms during the war.
Look forward to seeing you here in Sunny SA next year.Who knows, maybe I can unlock a few more sites for us to hunt by the time you arrive!
Kind regards
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126511.html#msg126511

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline jimmyg8138
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab Quattro, White's V3, GarrettInfiniun, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Viking...that sounds inviting to say the least. I'm not sure of the exact dates but it's usually the first or second week in Sept. that they put on these hunts. About these hunts, all I know is they invited two of us from the states and one from England. I'm not sure of the politics that goes into it but they treated us royally and we surely appreciated it. I've made some great friends there. The two things that I appreciated most: the internet and the jet plane. They both have made this world a much smaller place indeed.
Regards, Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126513.html#msg126513

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes Jim, I know what you mean.
I too am not so sure on the politics and the arrangements that take place. If I am invited it would be great but if not well...I got a couple of good ones stashed away. The areas I will be hunting are vast so I am debating whether to bring in a 2 box to help narrow down the search field. First hoard I am after is 300 gold coins stashed not too sure what they are  could be sovereigns could be Kruger. The second one is bars...lots of bars. Will keep the forum posted once we have
something a bit more substantial to report.
Hey who knows maybe I could shed some light on those elusive Kruger Millions Wink
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126516.html#msg126516

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline jimmyg8138
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Viking, from this side of the pond, I wish you all the luck in the world. There has to be a lot of goodies buried as with all wars, people stash their wealth somewhere in the ground but sometimes they never live to dig it up.
Jim

Posted on: November 17, 2010, 06:06:22 PM
Viking. you might want to visit this site:

Please Register or Login

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/

Just copy and past it in  your browser...This was started out as an international forum but as of late, there's just a handful of us that post there. But it is a way to keep up with what's happening in other parts of the world.
Possibly introducing yourself might bring a few of those SA guys out of hibernation....Worth a try....
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126522.html#msg126522

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 12:10:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Viking,

Nice to hear from you again.... don't worry, I have been trying to get notifications for a long time now, but still not getting them. I just log in everyday to see if I have replies..... Pain in the @#$% if you ask me... I have all my settings set to give me replies... but it must be a glitch in the Forum software.....

Jim, great to have you on-board with us here.... I have met a couple of the guys with Lukas, but cannot remember all... One of the guys, was quite and Oldish gent.... maybe that is Pierre Sheep

I would love to get out with some of the guys in SA for a hunt and get together.... We are hoping that this topic will attract some more of us and that we can make that happen. SA guys are generally good guys and fun to be around..... I guess we are people who like to entertain. I think to what I understand, that Lukas likes to invite a couple of overseas people so that we get some international flavor into our hunts. It works both ways, we learn from you, and you learn from us. It is always great when you get a chance to meet other people.... what is great is that we speak the same language.... metal detecting  Great

I do not know all the Boer war sites, or how Lukas gets to know about them, or how he organises the trips..... But I am learning very quickly  Hello

Anyway guys, lets keep this topic going so that we can build up something here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126562.html#msg126562

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey PGill
Well my alerts are coming through again Clapp, I really think that it is a matter of research, finding good spots. Next I think maybe some kind of club guidelines. Maybe Xavier could start a new thread where ideas for guidelines or actually rules are posted and the people interested can hash them out. Kind of vote them in or out. Keep them simple and strong like "20 rules of the club" for example.
Next would be a data sheet with all members listed and a Club description of what we do, when we do it, with what, and why....I know it's a mouth full but we need to be taken seriously if we want access to any good sites.
A website is always a good idea and it could link back here to lend support and spread interest as well.
I will see if I can organize a radio interview once we have our ducks in a row.
I think we should welcome all people interested in history, not just metal detectorists. Some people enjoy the research and don't necessarily want to go and hunt in the hot sun....and think about the reward they get when their research leads us to some awesome finds.
You know without sounding like a dreamer we could start our own museum somewhere with members being shareholders or whatever.
Here is a start. Name:          SAAAS_ South African Amateur Archeology Society....see it's easy
                      First 2 rules: # 1 Always obtain permission before the hunt....from the land owner!
                                         # 2 Always fill in your holes.And leave the place as you found it.
Ok guys let's go...... I could put 20 rules down in a heartbeat, but this is a club right.....not a one man show!
Viking

Posted on: November 18, 2010, 02:16:41 AM
*Club id cards.
*Tutorial on the proper methods of cutting and replacing grass sods.
*Recovery techniques
*Problem signals and how to overcome them/ what action to take.
*The reporting of important artifacts.What constitutes an important find.
*Machine reviews
*Diy accessories and equipment.
*All the above relating to the South African conditions not Europe or the States. This will also help prepare visitors.
*" A word from the Prof." type column where we invite the Professorial to give us feedback and ideas etc.
*Our own archives with relevant info posted as research comes in.
Okay now I'm gonna go do some real work.
Just a few more ideas....I get quite excited hehehe! Cheesy
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126567.html#msg126567

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Remember that all archaeological find must be reported failing to do so may result in heavy fines and even jail should you be found with them in your possession.

Our coast line is rich in old sites (which are frequently being destroyed by new developments) it is therefor important for people like ourselves to search for these places that could be destroyed if not found before sending in the bulldozers something that happens on the east coast.

Recognized as one of the most important places where findings dating as far back as 200 000 years ago are found from Port Elizabeth through to the Tsitsikamma forest rich all by it's self with Stink wood, yellow wood, and many other plant species.

To the West stone age tools have been found like stone axes along with sea shells such as White mussels, Limpets, Periwinkles, Ollycrocks bones of antelopes and birds were found amongst them, very little is known about these ancestors.

It's very likely that you will come across late stone age middens dating as far back as 10 000 years while taking a stroll amongst the dunes where beads and many interesting facts about their dally diet have been found.

So I'm sure that there is a place for us in this search for the past.

Regards Xavier

Posted on: November 18, 2010, 10:30:08 AM
South African Amateur Archaeological Society " did  search on yahoo looks like the spot may be vacant (strange)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126573.html#msg126573

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 10:05:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Guys,
This is great... lots of excitement going on  Great

I believe that the first thing we should do is to list SA personnel with full details so that we know where we are all from and how we can tie ourselves together. In a sense, that is what I have been trying to do on this topic... We need to know who's who here.

As for the rules of the club.... at this time, the club still does not exist until we have the people to make a club from. But this will happen very soon if we carry on the way we are  Wink

The antiquities Dept of South Africa, at this time is quite a joke, in fact the last I heard it was falling apart due to no money......

To give you a couple of examples as to what is going on around us:

The Klipriversburg Fort in the south of Johannesburg was pretty much complete with the big wooden doors and the date over the door..... Now if you go there, the doors are gone, the bricks are being removed and piled up ready for collection, the back wall has a section that was knocked down and soil from a new project (storm water channel) near the road, has now been pushed into the fort by front end loaders to get rid of the soil. The locals are growing mealies inside th fort, and also there are trees growing inside the fort that are now about 6 metres high.

Also in the South of Johannesburg is a small catholic church which had a corrugated roof on it and stained glass windows. I visited this empty church about 5 years ago, and it was spotless.... Now the buildings roof is in the squatter camp which has been allowed to grow around the church. All the stained glass windows were removed, no doubt the lead being stolen for scrap metal, walls have been damaged, trees growing in the building, graves being damaged and tombs opened....

I recently wrote a letter to a place where there is an old ruined hotel from the 1800's, and was politely told that I cannot detect there as it is protected by the Heritage Society..... Well the building is being turned into a bigger ruin, the whole area is overgrown with weeds and trees, a graveyard in the area has broken gravestones, and is not being looked after.... Instead of letting people like us in to detect and try and save our heritage, they would sooner see our history become unknown history......

There are many more of these historical sites that are being totally destroyed....

I am going to be writing to the Heritage Society about all this, to try and let them use us to make a difference in preserving our history before it is too late. That is big on my agenda  Rider

In the mean time though, what I am suggesting is that we gather all our names (South African people) to make a list up that we can keep in contact with each other..... Make up a mail list so we can share news etc.... Obviously we do not want to give all our details to the world, so if you like you can send all your details to me and I will compile the list which we can pass out to the email group. What we would need is Full name, address, tel Numbers, email address, what type of hunting you like to do, what you job position is and what you do.... If you would like me to be the point of contact, then send me your details to pgvhome@yahoo.com in the Subject line put "Treasure Club" so that I can separate from my normal stuff. When we have quite a few people, then we can put together a website with it's own email address....

Let me know what you think, and we can get started.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126614.html#msg126614

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm