[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 485   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jimmyg8138
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab Quattro, White's V3, GarrettInfiniun, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Peter...for you guys, I can see the excitement...I'd say to post this on that site that I gave you. You never know what might come of it...Good luck, and regards, Jim

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126617.html#msg126617

Offline vikingTopic starter
Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howsit PGill/Xavier.
Heritage Society was my first port of call....good luck mate.That is a big task in itself.
My strategy would be to get the proffesional archaeologists to see the benefit we could bring to their field, and with the help of them go after  recognition as a legitimate operation by the people that actually do the yes and no decisions.
This is like a game of chess as I see it, we need to get to a point where all heritage sites get hunted by the various chapters of the club.
The ideas I have put forward so far are just ideas and examples. SAAAS is just one of them.Pity it doesn't say much about our discipline, ie metal detecting.
But hey if you're happy... I'm happy Smiley.
As far as I know we have 4 members already. PGill, Xavier,Viking and I am pretty sure that even though he has been quiet lately, Orcaman would get in as well.
Bit of a hectic time of year to finally start a movement hehehe!
Kind regards
Viking

Posted on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:20 AM
Thanks Jim.
Yes I think a post there may help, hope it doesn't feel like a hijacking to the old crew though.Honestly if they did something like this I would quite happily join them.
But it would be nice learning from the "veterans" either way. Freddy Kr?ger
Got a lead on a farm that I will most likely visit next year, I was told by the owner that it had some type of concentration camp on it. So far all I know.
I will be going to hunt for some meat and the guy said I should bring my detector.
Could be a good lead...!
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126620.html#msg126620

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline jimmyg8138
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab Quattro, White's V3, GarrettInfiniun, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 01:07:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Viking: Well, if the archie's of SA are anything like those here in the states, tread softly with em. Here, they think we are a bunch of people robbing the US Gov't of all those artifacts. There is no love lost between them and the detectorists.
I wish we had something like the English system. They have it down to a science. But then again, England has the midnight raiders which gives most of us a bad name.
But I sure wish all of you good luck. Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126637.html#msg126637

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 01:34:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jim

Point taken, but how much searching are they actually doing? I mean how much effort is the Government investing in recovering and preserving their heritage and historic artifacts. Here in SA they tell you "No" if you ask to search a known battle site or whatever it may be...couple of months later...hey look a shopping mall,
or housing development!
The way I see it is a developer seeking permission to develop a given tract of land should at some stage of the process be told that an archaeological needs to be done....that is where we come in.
We all hunt because we love it....it would be free and we would be happy to do it! Why all the bureaucratic BS.So what if they want to have a qualified archie
on site...hell I'll bring and extra machine for him/ them.
I went out and recovered an ipod yesterday for a student that lost it while swimming at the local reservoir on the campus.....I did it for free but I told him that as payement he must hook me up with the right person in the Historical faculty. Let's see where this goes....I found the ipod in 2 seconds flat ...you should have seen his eyes...then when I told him what my plan was he was like....absolutely dude! That proff is gonna get a good review on me from the get go. I am going to see if I can get him out in the field one morning. I figure its a way to get some real answers as to how to go about this the right way.
It seems like big song and dance routine , but try and phone someone.......you get Jack....Jack Sh#%!
If I have too be devious...then devious it is.
As far as midnight raiders go....As determined as the powers that be ,may be, to keep us away from the artifact....we should be steadfast that we will not tolerate the desecration of our historic sites and the loss of our artifacts.
You are going to have a hell of a lot more midnight raiders if you show no support for their cause... which is actually a noble one and done for free!
I have a dark set of clothes in my closet.......
Viking  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126743.html#msg126743

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:17:23 am by xavier »

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

GO Viking GO  Grin Grin

All that you said is 110% correct I see it over here when there is money you can build where ever you like BUT the community will not stand for these construction they stopped one not long ago where the developer wanted to destroy a set of dunes in a reserve (for a hotel I think) I ask you how in hell did he even manage to get the permission to build on this land? 

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126744.html#msg126744

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 06:34:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Guys, I love the vibes that are coming across...... I think lets tinker like this till the new year. In the mean time, I am going to try and get all the contact details of people that matter and then send out a Big email to all of them..... As far as the Archies are concerned, they feel that they have spent all their years getting degrees to do the work, only for amateurs to just walk in and want to take over..... This is not the case, and they are not doing enough to preserve our history either.
I will also be trying to contact Lukas again, and will chat to him on the club situation to see if we can get them on board... Umm in fact I think I will phone him after sending this mail  Great Britain does have a great system, and in fact is probably one of the role models when it comes to antiquities etc. The only problem I have is that they buy finds for their displays, but place the objects into storage..... So there are store rooms which are full of great stuff, that nobody can see.... But it is a learning curve, and at least they are doing things to try and save their history.

Guys, in the mean time, lets put on our thinking caps, and start thinking about a club name etc.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126769.html#msg126769

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Pgill.
don't know about the name but I thought of a catchy moto. "We don't just like History...we Dig it!" LOL!
I think it's pretty cool...
Viking

Posted on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:12 AM
Sorry PGill me again.
I was just looking at your previous post again and wanted to add to what you said about the storage issue.
I still feel that I would rather have them hoard the stuff somewhere. It still a better deal than under 3ft of concrete or in a landfill. Future generations will thank us for our efforts.
I think you and I both know that we can forget them buying stuff from us. And we are going to have to kiss some butts for permition, and act like they have done us the hugest favor and that it was all their idea.
That's gonna be a big one....we must let the powers that be pretend that this was all their idea, we just asked if we could please help...for the experience you know! And we will get to point where palms need to be lined with silver ...I can almost guarantee it Wink
It's a bitter pill...start swallowing! Pray
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126778.html#msg126778

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by viking
Thanks Pgill.
don't know about the name but I thought of a catchy moto. "We don't just like History...we Dig it!" LOL!
I think it's pretty cool...

Great Not bad viking not bad at all

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126797.html#msg126797

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, thanks ! I'm here all week........
Xavier how do I send you guys personal mail. I thinks that some things need to start moving off the public space now. I hope I am not breaking any rules with this No no!.
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126801.html#msg126801

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Guys,

Viking, I love that moto Great I think you have hit the nail on the head with that one..... What I will do is send you a PM with my email details etc.... I think we need to create that list and add to it as we go along and get more people to join us. We can do that in the email though. If Xavier can also send you his details, then if you email both your details to me I will make up the list, and send it to both of you..... Once we are in email contact, it will make things easier, but we still need to keep this topic open for new members to see etc....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg126860.html#msg126860

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm