[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 485   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1940 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Grin Grin Nice story Viking. I went in our kraal the one day to see whether my guys had placed the right feed for the cattle for when they came in for the night and some how got involved with the way that this feed looked this whole mixture got me thinking of the way that it was mixed and that there had to be a better way of mixing it (We make our own feed) any how I ended up being in the kraal when the cattle arrived very determined to be the first at the feeding trough to get as much of the feed as possible, there was no escaping so I got on top of one of the troughs as it was the only secure place well I must have looked so stupid standing on top of the trough with all these cow around me not to mention that I had to wait till they had finished before I could get out of the kraal without getting squashed. I had our bull looking at me wondering what the hell was I doing in his feed. I must admit that I was feeling rather small and uncomfortable in my pathetic situation.    

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213576.html#msg213576

Xavier

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:44:35 am by xavier »

So many questions so little time

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #1941 on: February 18, 2012, 07:49:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys, it seems all of you have had problems with cows..... but getting humped by a cow, that takes the cake  Shame Laughing as for climbing on the trough, I wish I was there to have seen that, I would of laughed.... Just to let you know, cows like me and do not bother me at all, guess they know what is good  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213581.html#msg213581

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #1942 on: February 18, 2012, 09:10:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

The following is from Mark Twain --'Roughing It 'which I am reading. It is about a Buffalo that chases a man up a tree.

TWAIN
teeth and holding onto the pommel with both hands. First we left the ilop;, behind; then we passed a jackass rabbit; then we overtook a coyote, and wri r gaining on an antelope when the rotten girth let go and threw me about thu Iy yards off to the left, and as the saddle went down over the horse's rump In-gave it a lift with his heels that sent it more than four hundred yards up in the air, I wish I may die in a minute if he didn't. I fell at the foot of the only solitary tree there was in nine counties adjacent (as any creature could siv with the naked eye), and the next second I had hold of the bark with foui sets of nails and my teeth, and the next second after that I was astraddle ol the main limb and blaspheming my luck in a way that made my breath smcl I of brimstone. I had the bull now, if he did not think of one thing. But that one thing I dreaded. I dreaded it very seriously. There was a possibility that the bull might not think of it, but there were greater chances that he would. I made up my mind what I would do in case he did. It was a little over forty feet to the ground from where I sat. I cautiously unwound the lariat from the pommel of my saddle—
"Your saddle? Did you take your saddle up in the tree with you?"
"Take it up in the tree with me? Why, how you talk. Of course I didn't. No man could do that. It fell in the tree when it came down."
"Oh—exactly."
"Certainly. I unwound the lariat, and fastened one end of it to the limb. It was the best green rawhide, and capable of sustaining tons. I made a slip noose in the other end, and then hung it down to see the length. It reached down twenty-two feet—halfway to the ground. I then loaded every barrel of the Allen with a double charge. I felt satisfied. I said to myself, if he never thinks of that one thing that I dread, all right—but if he does, all right any¬how—I am fixed for him. But don't you know that the very thing a man dreads is the thing that always happens? Indeed it is so. I watched the bull, now, with anxiety—anxiety which no one can conceive of who has not been in such a situation and felt that at any moment death might come. Presently a thought came into the bull's eye. I knew it! said I—if my nerve fails now, I am lost. Sure enough, it was just as I had dreaded, he started in to climb the tree—
"What, the bull?"
"Of course—who else?"
"But a bull can't climb a tree."
"He can't, can't he? Since you know so much about it, did you ever see a bull try?"

"No! I never dreamt of such a llnny."
"Well, then, what is the use of \">iir talking that way, then? Because vi HI never saw a thing done, is that .my reason why it can't be done?"
"Well, all right — go on. What did v< HI do?"
SUSPENDED OPERATIONS.
"The bull started up, and got •i long well for about ten feet, then ilipped and slid back. I breathed easier. He tried it again — got up a lil tic higher — slipped again. But he fiime at it once more, and this time lu- was careful. He got gradually higher and higher, and my spirits went down more and more. Up he came — an inch at a time — with his eyes hot, and his tongue hanging out. Higher and higher — hitched his foot over the stump of a limb, and looked up, as much as to say, 'You are my meat, friend.' Up again — higher and higher, and getting more excited the closer he got. He was within ten feet of me! I took a long breath — and then said I, 'It is now or never.' I had the coil of the lariat all ready; I paid it out slowly, till it
hung right over his head; all of a sudden I let go of the slack, and the slip noose fell fairly round his neck! Quicker than lightning I out with the Allen and let him have it in the face. It was an awful roar, and must have scared the bull out of his senses. When the smoke cleared away, there he was, dan¬gling in the air, twenty foot from the ground, and going out of one convul¬sion into another faster than you could count! I didn't stop to count, anyhow — I shinned down the tree and shot for home."
"Bemis, is all that true, just as you have stated it?"
"I wish I may rot in my tracks and die the death of a dog if it isn't

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213588.html#msg213588

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Twain.jpg

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:23:08 am by gambol1 »
Offline vikingTopic starter
Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1943 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey X. When and what course are you doing at Stellenbosch? Keep forgetting to ask.
Also just to clear the whole thing up......the bull never managed to have his way with me! Shocked
No hunting this weekend....ah well....Monday at 8am is low tide .....might try and steal an hour or so. Breakfast swim as it where.
V

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213589.html#msg213589

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline Pgill
Gold Member

From wet and dull UK :-)
Thank you6

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

9290.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250 / Whites MXT Pro
« Reply #1944 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol, you lost me there.... those old story tellers are way above my head  Grin Grin Grin Grin Viking, not too sure I believe you that the bull never got the better of you  Amen but anyway, we will pretend that you got away  Grin Grin Grin Grin

I am not sure that a university would accept X for a course as they don't allow sheep on the premises, he will have to do a home course  Laughing Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213591.html#msg213591

God Bless
Peter

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com

Please Register or Login

http://petergill.webs.com/treasurestore.htm

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1945 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And to think that he wants me to take him detecting on top of a mountain (Interesting aint it) Ooops
gambol1 I loved the story makes me think of them books I use to read at school I also use to read stories out of the Readers Digest and still do when I get the chance.

Hi Viking yes well the course is a cheese making course for people that are already make cheese so more of a How did you do it and why it went wrong or right. It's only a two day course so you need to know how to make cheese or you'd be lost, but there should be a wealth of information as the guy that gives the course has his degree in food since and has been making cheese for the past 35 years so I'd think that he makes a good Gorgonzola or Camembert. If I do get to go it could be quite exciting (For my supplier)  Grin   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213603.html#msg213603

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #1946 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

xavier, Don't know if you know who Mark Twain is (Samuel Clemons) but he is a famous American story teller who wrote 'tall tales' about the American frontier West in the late 1800s. This book that I'm reading was published by Readers Digest and they have published many of his works like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. I read some of these when I was young and I'm rereading them now. gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213631.html#msg213631

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1947 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Our Feral Government lays claim to Meteorites found on BLM, Forest Lands claiming they fall under the 1906 Antiquities Act.

Technically All Rocks came from space at one time or the other.

Technically All Rocks are Antiques?

Any thing over 50 years old is considered a Antique.

God, I'm a Antique?

Am I Protected?

They can't take me off Federal Lands?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213633.html#msg213633

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1948 on: February 18, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homie, they can't pick you up on Federal Lands and take you home!  Only your wife can do that!!!            Grin Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213635.html#msg213635

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1949 on: February 18, 2012, 09:26:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They would probably do like they do with the Meteorites.   Put me in a old shoe box in some drawer in the basement of the Smithsonian.

Never never Ever to be seen again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19144.msg213637.html#msg213637

Print
Pages:  1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 485   Go Up
Jump to: