[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BrendanLyonsTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Ireland, Republic of
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:02:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Anyone living in Ireland doing any detecting there, beach or otherwise, else where do you go to do your detecting, Wales, England?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10492.msg66378.html#msg66378

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:44:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

The best place to ( land ) hunt would be on the beaches of West Ireland . Considering that a lot of ships from the Spanish armada did sink on the Irish coast and that a lot of stuff was washed ashore , there must be a bunch to detect there yet .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10492.msg66390.html#msg66390

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:07:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

From what i understand there is a carpet ban on metal detectors in Ireland thats one of the reasons I would never take my machines there for fear of having them confiscated on entry.
We believe that a Pharoe called Scota is buried there.  There is a book written about her called Kingdom of the Ark i think the author was Lorraine Evans from memory.  She is believed to be the daughter of Arkanhaten who had his own religion. He fell from grace becuse of his religious ideas that did not appeal to the priests who were thrown out of the temples.
He became unpopular and had to be replaced and his family dispersed to other areas. Scotia married an Irish king and gave her name to Scotland.  Even Ireland has its own history that was changed over time.
Scotia was reportedly killed in Battle and buried at TARA a search for her burial site is ongoing in Ireland we were prepared to help but know the responce we would get from the academics who are still looking because they dont have a clue or read the old documents like they should.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10492.msg66404.html#msg66404

Offline BrendanLyonsTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Ireland, Republic of

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Not exactly a Carpet ban.

You need a licence to use one on an Archaeological site or monument or when looking forArchaeological objects
You can't use them to be looking specifically for Archaeological objects as defined

"archaeological object" means any chattel whether in a manufactured or partly manufactured or an unmanufactured state which by reason of the archaeological interest attaching thereto or of its association with any Irish historical event or person has a value substantially greater than its intrinsic (including artistic) value, and the said expression includes ancient human, animal or plant remains;

(Read somewhere else I think, that it applies to anything after 1950)

or in an Archaeological area as defined (equally vague definition to catch all if required)

If you find an Archaeologiacl object through whatever means you must report it within a few days

The state owns all Archaeological objects (and hence don't have to reward you but may do:-)

The issue is if you find something with a detector and reported the will either most likely say you were looking for it in the first place ith the detector and pressurise you to donate to the state or take your detector and confiscate it/fine you etc.

So in short it is still just about legal, but best to have a good reason for doing it in the first place.  I don't know how many licences have been granted to non Archaeological detectorists, not many i'd say.

It's just to much stress for some, considering it's supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10492.msg66449.html#msg66449

Offline Irishstevie2003
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Ireland, Republic of

41.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  & Minelab Explorer II
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brendan,  Just found your post now.   I am in Kerry  and  hoping to meet  few  locals in the country to meet  up  with.   Thanks   Steve B

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10492.msg105806.html#msg105806

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: