[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:56:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

In 1894, four bandits held up the First National Bank in Bowie. They thought the job would be a cinch, but Mother Nature didn?t cooperate with them and neither did the law.
The robbery ran smoothly for about 15 minutes. The bank clerk filled canvas bags with $10,000 in 20-dollar gold pieces and $18,000 in currency. But two of the robbers panicked when more bank employees entered the bank and started firing. Although the robbers grabbed the loot and ran for their horses, the townspeople heard the gunfire. Several citizens fired at the fleeing robbers, but they rode out of town unharmed. However, a posse quickly organized and headed to the likeliest escape route, north to the Red River.
The robbers fled toward Indian Territory, the promised land for outlaws in the 1900s. They were dismayed to see that the Red River was badly flooded from spring rains and impossible to cross. The outlaws camped on the south bank of the river at Rock Crossing and planned to cross the river in the morning. They had no inkling that a posse was hot on their heels and worse trouble to boot.
Sure enough, by morning the level of the river had gone down some. Before they left, the robbers split the currency from the robbery but left the gold coins tied up in canvas bags. They saddled up, but one bandit decided the weight of the gold coins might prevent their escape. He quickly dug a hole by a large tree at the campsite, deposited the sacks and hurriedly covered the plunder.
But crossing the river, they saw the Bowie posse. The fleeing outlaws plunged into the turbulent river, swimming beside their horses and barely surviving. They came out on the other side gasping and exhausted, never dreaming they were swimming toward their worst nightmare ? federal marshals. A marshal in Bowie had telegraphed Lewis Palmore, a U.S. deputy marshal that was in Indian Territory. Palmore guessed that the robbers could only cross the flooded river at Rock Crossing, and he was right.

The federal marshals arrested and manacled the desperados, who seemed destined to be caught from the first gunshot at the bank. The four carried $18,000 in paper money, but not a single gold coin. Palmore treated the robbers well and talked with them as they rode to Fort Sill, Ark. But none confessed where the remaining loot was hidden.
The unlucky crooks came under the glaring judgment of ?Hanging Judge? Isaac Parker at Fort Sill. They were pronounced guilty and sentenced to hang immediately. Right before their joint execution, one man told Palmore that the gold was buried at their final campsite on the south bank of the Red River. However, he said this with a wink.
Palmore returned to the popular campsite at Rock Crossing, but he never found any buried gold. Later, he told the tale to his son, who also searched the site with a metal detector. His son, Frank couldn?t find any coins either. Accumulated research points to the treasure resting where the Red River and Little Wichita rivers converge (between Highway 81 and the mouth of the Little Wichita River).
Frank Palmore believed that to find the coins, the treasure tracker had to visualize the way the flooded river was in 1894. He advised getting the help of local people to determine factors such as the river?s water level, the riverbanks? location and the old Rock Crossing site,
Researchers believe the $10,000 in 1894 gold coins has not been recovered ? any other speculations about locations are theories waiting to be proven.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg69824.html#msg69824

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, that's definitely an interesting story.........I did some rough calculations.   $10,000 in $20 coins is 500 coins.   Looking at the current US coin values for 1870 through 1884 gold $20 coins, $1500.00 per coin  would be a decent conservative value to set for a generic $20 gold coin of the period.   That means the $10,000 in gold coins would be worth roughly $750,000 on the current market.

I keep coming up with more and more reasons to move back home to Texas  Grin

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg69837.html#msg69837

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:50:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

I did it very conservatively and came up $600,000.00. Come on back got a few more to post later to day.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg69838.html#msg69838

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting story Seldom. I was poking around a bit, hard to find much data on this one except treasure sites. None of the papers I could search mention it so I guess the only source was Palmore?
I was looking at google earth for a landmark rock and thought this river could be crossed about anywhere during dry season. One of the data points of the Red was that quicksand is common so I had a thought. What if the rock was not a landmark but a stable gravel bed for supporting wagons or cattle and horses? Just a thought till I can dig up more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg69893.html#msg69893

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Seldom...

I'll be hitting that site with my H3tec around May 1-5, 2010..... So far I am incredibly impressed with the H3tec, dispite all the unproven negitive blogs..... as far as I am concerned, all the neg people can keep their neg thoughts...and keep trashing the H3tec... the less H3tecs out there working... the more treasure for people like myself who own a very good machine like the H3tec... Anyway... I'll let you know the results when I return from my trip.... The Red River site is just one of several in a multi-state sweep I'll be making.....who knows, maybe it's still there, may its not....a long time has passed since 1894....who knows what has happened since the day of the robbery....I do one thing without any doubt at all...if it still there or in the vacinity, I will locate it with the H3tec...

Klondikeike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg85206.html#msg85206

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good Luck Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg85207.html#msg85207

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Seldom....

I'll let you know the results in early May...

Klondikeike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg85209.html#msg85209

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Keep us posted Ike Smiley

I used to work with complicated automated computer tools. I found the majority of users would try it once and if they didn't like the result they would never use it again and say what a crappy tool it was. Usually complex tools take a few tries to understand, then a user can do a lot with them once you understand what it can do and what it can't. Good luck and find something shiney to show us!  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg85210.html#msg85210

Offline medmaker
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story Seldom. Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg86410.html#msg86410

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hello, new guy here, this story is actually the one that got me going in the first place...

i am big into research because of this story in fact.

have spent several hours in research on this particular story, trying to verify names, timelines, the red river itself, etc...
unfortunately i have not been able to confirm any one item in it.  it is a great story, and i would love for it to be true, i just cant say that yet.

my research was done a little backwards on it, started out with the river itself, trying to locate the potential crossing sites, changes in the river flow and banks over time, heights of the river during storms, even down to aging of cottonwoods, and life expectantcy.
i pulled maps of the county from the time period, and from today as well, trying to match up potential coordinates for the areas i found they may have crossed.
for one, the cottonwoods they were buried under are more than likely no longer alive.
the area has also been cut down, and farmed for several decades now.

at this point i was still excited and gung ho at the prospect!

then i started researching the names, dates, timelines.

i could find no evidence of a marshall, deputy marshall, or any kind of law enforcement or peace officer in the area in that time frame, by the name lewis franklin palmore, or any variation, ie franklin lewis palmore, palmer...anything....
in fact it was hard to find anyone with the palmore or palmer name in that area during this time, but there were a few..
so i still had hope.

i also researched judge parker, his records of hangings...
for one, the men wouldnt have been hung for simply robbing a bank, but there are variations of the story that the men killed a person or two while making escape, which could possibly give reason for a hanging, but probably not all four.
i could find no records of 4 men being hung in this time either

i still had hope, but couldnt find any records of this bank being robbed...

most all of what i have and had found was from treasure hunting sites, and story books

i would still love for this story to be true, and hope it is, but feeling really doubtful about it.

good luck in your searching, i do hope that it is true!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10937.msg86421.html#msg86421

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: