[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sinclairuser
electrical engineer
Copper Member

Mood:Curious
Curious

electrical engineer
Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

361.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites 3900 pp, idx pro, csi pro , cscope770 ,baracuda, minipulse plus.
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 11:25:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i dont know if its different in usa, but here in the uk usually so called treasure legends are just that legends, quite a lot of hoards and caches turn up but they never have a back story, they are almost always lost in the sense that no one knew it was there untill it turned up.
the few cases that have a legend no evidence is ever found despite the effort and resources applied over many years, bonny prince charlie's gold treasure is supposed to be spread over a remote scottish hillside(or in a wreck,or on a yorkshire moor etc), yet only a single coin has been found,a pouch of coins supposed to be from the treasure turned out to be post war copies proved by the fact the gold was the wrong purity, the alloy was said to be identical to that found in krugerrands, recent theories centered around a wreck off angelsey proved fruitless.
this is just one example,
maybe some of these legends are real maybe not, but after some time its the story thats important not the treasure.
i have personally helped recover lost items, and even when its location is known its never where they think it is, if i find it at all.
so as for finding stuff "lost to legend" good luck with that.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg274175.html#msg274175

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:28:11 pm by sinclairuser, Reason: correction »

open source hardware supporter

Offline Connecticut Lovejoy
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

#9.  No coins were find because the story is untrue as was told to me by a Bates family member still living in the Bates tavern .  The story was started by a woman who wrote a letter to a Hartford newspaper.  I been treasure hunting since 1964, and I live in Stratford Connecticut.

Smiley

Posted on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:04 pm
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I'm not being mean to you, Sam. Just realistic. Nobody gives away and active lead. Nobody.

My good friend,  since we both live in Connecticut, there are not there many stories about Connecticut buried treasures and ghost towns.  I do not ask for active leads.  Just inactive, Only those who people no longer interesting in, because they are too busy or do not believe the stories or move out of state, and won't come back to our great state.  Good hunting and maybe we meet out in the field.

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276839.html#msg276839

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 30.0
Firefox 30.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Connecticut Lovejoy
I do not ask for active leads.  Just inactive,

There is no such thing unless a treasure has been found. And then, that lead is dead.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276886.html#msg276886

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is no such thing unless a treasure has been found. And then, that lead is dead.

Read my comments until you understand what I am writing.

Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276895.html#msg276895

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cry

If you believe in it then that's all that matters, We all have our Own Dreams to Chase,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276907.html#msg276907

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 30.0
Firefox 30.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 04:19:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cry

I did read your comments. I have read your comments for many years now. You want treasure leads that someone may have abandoned. Well, my friend, nobody I know abandons a lead unless they have found the treasure. That's how it works. Because of that, your request is denied. End of story.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276911.html#msg276911

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.2
Windows NT 6.2
MS Internet Explorer 10.0
MS Internet Explorer 10.0

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sam GD is right , the only reason a Treasure lead would be abandoned is because it WAS found or it turned out to be a DEAD lead . This doesn't mean you give up , sometimes what's needed is more investigation then you never know what you may find that others have missed , good luck ..cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276932.html#msg276932

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 05:58:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
If you believe in it then that's all that matters, We all have our Own Dreams to Chase,

AU

Thanks for your support.  I agree with you.

Smiley

Posted on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:29 pm
Quote:Posted by au fever
Sam GD is right , the only reason a Treasure lead would be abandoned is because it WAS found or it turned out to be a DEAD lead . This doesn't mean you give up , sometimes what's needed is more investigation then you never know what you may find that others have missed , good luck ..cheers Mick

After research, I give up on stories in Connecticut because they may not be true, such as most stories in treasure magazines.  Such as the Rev. War story of 13 wagons of gold coins at Bates Tavern, East Granby, or lack of information.  I always give up on DEAD leads.

Angry

Posted on: July 09, 2014, 05:46:42 pm
I did read your comments. I have read your comments for many years now. You want treasure leads that someone may have abandoned. Well, my friend, nobody I know abandons a lead unless they have found the treasure. That's how it works. Because of that, your request is denied. End of story.

You did not read my comments good enough.  I am happy that we both live in Connecticut and searching for same buried treasure.  Good luck.

Cry

Posted on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:40 pm
Quote:Posted by seldom
Really you ask the same question again after being told how to research this subject yourself by several folks here. You need to help yourself here get a library card get to the archives and start researching what you want to know. 
Thanks, but I do my research on Connecticut buried treasures and ghost towns on the Internet.  Good luck in Texas.

Cry

Posted on: July 09, 2014, 05:52:11 pm
Quote:Posted by seldom
Here is the whole story. You will need to do better Sam we been at this a long time and know what we are doing.

Conducting the historical research for the Lemuel Bates property in East Granby led to an interesting legend concerning the time when the Bates house also functioned as a tavern. The tale involves a lost shipment of gold associated with the property. The story begins late one evening in 1779 when a caravan of thirteen wagons, each pulled by a team of four horses, pulled up in front of the Bates Tavern. The tavern, which served meals and spirits and rented rooms, was located on the road frequented by many who traveled between Philadelphia and Boston.

The caravan had departed Boston several days earlier and was headed for Philadelphia. When the driver of the caravan climbed down from his wagon and went inside to speak with Lemuel Bates regarding room and food arrangements, several of the local townsfolk gathered around the parked wagons and examined them. As the townsfolk gathered around the wagons, men dressed in Continental Army uniforms brandished their weapons and warned them away.

The wagons were filled with trunks and chests, many containing supplies and ammunition. However, several chests were filled with gold coins, specially minted in France and bearing the likeness of George Washington. Theses coins represented a loan from the French government for the struggling Continental Congress. Those who have studied the event have concluded that the amount of coins approximated $2.5 million - a fairly significant cache of coins for that time.

After the driver had negotiated meals and lodging with Lemuel Bates, the wagons were drawn around to the rear of the tavern and guards posted to watch over the wagons and their contents. During that evening, word of the wagon train and its contents spread throughout the area. In a short time, a group of Tories (British sympathizers) gathered in secret and made plans to steal the gold. Later that night, this group of Tories surrounded the wagons and on a signal, attacked the guards, killing them all. After hitching up horses to the wagons, the Tories drove off toward the west and into the night.

When the other soldiers awoke the following morning and found their comrades dead and the gold missing, they immediately initiated a search. About two hours later, the wagons and teams were discovered in a farmer’s pasture, a short distance from the Bates Tavern. From the condition of the horses, it was apparent that they had been driven a long distance and returned. There was no sign of the chests containing the Washington dollars. Subsequent searches of neighboring houses and farms turned up no evidence of the gold.

Following the end of the RevolutionaryWar, a number of futile attempts were made to discover the location of the buried treasure. The story of the hidden gold remained virtually undisturbed until the 1880s when Richard H. Phelps, a resident of Hartford County, wrote a book on the history of East Granby. Richard Phelps was a descendant of the Phelps family who were among the original settlers of Turkey Hill, which over time came to be East Granby. Timothy Phelps had been the original owner of the property subsequently purchased by Lemuel Bates and where the Bates Tavern was located.

In his book, Richard Bates briefly describes the theft of the Washington Dollars from the Bates Tavern. Phelps goes on to relate the story of Henry Wooster, an East Granby resident who was often in trouble with the law and was also a Tory. Several months following the theft of the Washington Dollars, Wooster was caught and convicted of stealing a neighbor’s cow. He was sentenced to a term in Newgate Prison but managed to escape after six months.

Wooster fled to England and later wrote to his mother admitting his role in the theft and stating that the entire wagon train had been driven to the east fork of Salmon Brook. Here, the coins were buried with the understanding that the group would come back later, recover the gold, and use the treasure to fund the British war effort. After several weeks, the Tories agreed to meet at a remote location in the woods and decide the fate of the coins. While they were meeting, they were attacked by Indians and everyone but Wooster was killed. Wooster never managed to return from England, and in his letters, he was never able to provide complete details regarding the location of the buried treasure.

And so the story of the lost treasure remained except for a number of isolated instances that bear consideration. After several days of heavy rain in 1944, a man hiking along the east fork of Salmon Brook happened to catch a glimpse of something shiny in the waters of the swollen brook. Wading into the waters, he retrieved the object, which turned out to be a Washington Dollar. Following news of this find, others searched the area for days, but nothing more in the way of gold coins was found.

Again in 1958, two boys were playing near Salmon Brook and found three coins. After waiting several days, they reported their find to one of the fathers. They said that they found the coins on the east fork of the Salmon Brook. These coins turned out to be Washington Dollars. In a return trip to the brook with the father, the boys were unable to identify the exact location where the three coins were first found.

And finally, in 1987, a woman driving west on Highway 20 had a flat tire just as she reached the bridge spanning the east fork of Salmon Brook. After changing the tire, she went to the brook to wash her hands. While kneeling at the bank, she spotted a round, shiny object lying among the stream gravel. After retrieving the object, she discovered it to be a coin, later identified as a Washington Dollar.

The three separate and recent findings of Washington Dollars along Salmon Brook seem to give credence to a legend otherwise easily dismissed. The east fork of Salmon Brook is a little more than three miles from the Bates Tavern as the crow flies. While there are hills between the two locations, persons familiar with the region would likely have been able to traverse the distance within a couple of hours.

Here is a story that I research to be told by a Bates family member living in the Tavern around 1965 that the story is not true.  But do not let that stop you.  Good luck.

Smiley

Posted on: July 09, 2014, 05:54:44 pm
Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
I suddenly got a thirst and a need for a steak

AU

I need a good steak, good beer and a good woman.

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276967.html#msg276967

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X 10.9
Mac OS X 10.9
Firefox 30.0
Firefox 30.0

Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I need a good steak, good beer and a good woman.

In that order??    Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg276970.html#msg276970

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States