[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Connecticut Lovejoy
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So sad. Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277182.html#msg277182

Offline golddustcarl
Silver Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you159

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

He dropped her like a hot potato Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277190.html#msg277190

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Here is the whole story. You will need to do better Sam we been at this a long time and know what we are doing.

Conducting the historical research for the Lemuel Bates property in East Granby led to an interesting legend concerning the time when the Bates house also functioned as a tavern. The tale involves a lost shipment of gold associated with the property. The story begins late one evening in 1779 when a caravan of thirteen wagons, each pulled by a team of four horses, pulled up in front of the Bates Tavern. The tavern, which served meals and spirits and rented rooms, was located on the road frequented by many who traveled between Philadelphia and Boston.

The caravan had departed Boston several days earlier and was headed for Philadelphia. When the driver of the caravan climbed down from his wagon and went inside to speak with Lemuel Bates regarding room and food arrangements, several of the local townsfolk gathered around the parked wagons and examined them. As the townsfolk gathered around the wagons, men dressed in Continental Army uniforms brandished their weapons and warned them away.

The wagons were filled with trunks and chests, many containing supplies and ammunition. However, several chests were filled with gold coins, specially minted in France and bearing the likeness of George Washington. Theses coins represented a loan from the French government for the struggling Continental Congress. Those who have studied the event have concluded that the amount of coins approximated $2.5 million - a fairly significant cache of coins for that time.

After the driver had negotiated meals and lodging with Lemuel Bates, the wagons were drawn around to the rear of the tavern and guards posted to watch over the wagons and their contents. During that evening, word of the wagon train and its contents spread throughout the area. In a short time, a group of Tories (British sympathizers) gathered in secret and made plans to steal the gold. Later that night, this group of Tories surrounded the wagons and on a signal, attacked the guards, killing them all. After hitching up horses to the wagons, the Tories drove off toward the west and into the night.

When the other soldiers awoke the following morning and found their comrades dead and the gold missing, they immediately initiated a search. About two hours later, the wagons and teams were discovered in a farmer’s pasture, a short distance from the Bates Tavern. From the condition of the horses, it was apparent that they had been driven a long distance and returned. There was no sign of the chests containing the Washington dollars. Subsequent searches of neighboring houses and farms turned up no evidence of the gold.

Following the end of the RevolutionaryWar, a number of futile attempts were made to discover the location of the buried treasure. The story of the hidden gold remained virtually undisturbed until the 1880s when Richard H. Phelps, a resident of Hartford County, wrote a book on the history of East Granby. Richard Phelps was a descendant of the Phelps family who were among the original settlers of Turkey Hill, which over time came to be East Granby. Timothy Phelps had been the original owner of the property subsequently purchased by Lemuel Bates and where the Bates Tavern was located.

In his book, Richard Bates briefly describes the theft of the Washington Dollars from the Bates Tavern. Phelps goes on to relate the story of Henry Wooster, an East Granby resident who was often in trouble with the law and was also a Tory. Several months following the theft of the Washington Dollars, Wooster was caught and convicted of stealing a neighbor’s cow. He was sentenced to a term in Newgate Prison but managed to escape after six months.

Wooster fled to England and later wrote to his mother admitting his role in the theft and stating that the entire wagon train had been driven to the east fork of Salmon Brook. Here, the coins were buried with the understanding that the group would come back later, recover the gold, and use the treasure to fund the British war effort. After several weeks, the Tories agreed to meet at a remote location in the woods and decide the fate of the coins. While they were meeting, they were attacked by Indians and everyone but Wooster was killed. Wooster never managed to return from England, and in his letters, he was never able to provide complete details regarding the location of the buried treasure.

And so the story of the lost treasure remained except for a number of isolated instances that bear consideration. After several days of heavy rain in 1944, a man hiking along the east fork of Salmon Brook happened to catch a glimpse of something shiny in the waters of the swollen brook. Wading into the waters, he retrieved the object, which turned out to be a Washington Dollar. Following news of this find, others searched the area for days, but nothing more in the way of gold coins was found.

Again in 1958, two boys were playing near Salmon Brook and found three coins. After waiting several days, they reported their find to one of the fathers. They said that they found the coins on the east fork of the Salmon Brook. These coins turned out to be Washington Dollars. In a return trip to the brook with the father, the boys were unable to identify the exact location where the three coins were first found.

And finally, in 1987, a woman driving west on Highway 20 had a flat tire just as she reached the bridge spanning the east fork of Salmon Brook. After changing the tire, she went to the brook to wash her hands. While kneeling at the bank, she spotted a round, shiny object lying among the stream gravel. After retrieving the object, she discovered it to be a coin, later identified as a Washington Dollar.

The three separate and recent findings of Washington Dollars along Salmon Brook seem to give credence to a legend otherwise easily dismissed. The east fork of Salmon Brook is a little more than three miles from the Bates Tavern as the crow flies. While there are hills between the two locations, persons familiar with the region would likely have been able to traverse the distance within a couple of hours.

Here is another story that Seldom Right find in treasure magazines and treasure books. I been treasure hunting in Connecticut since 1964, and Seldom Right, I know what I am writing about.  The story is untrue told to me by a Bates family member living in the tavern at the time.  Seek and you find nothing.

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:20 pm
Quote:Posted by Connecticut Lovejoy
Smiley#8 is total untrue.  I live in Connecticut and I know what I am writing about.  It all started with a letter for a lady to a Hartford newspaper back in 1951.  William son in law who was living in the tavern when I interview him told me that the family never heard of the story until they read the letter in the newspaper.  France had their own troops to support and never had that much gold or money. I am willing to pay $1,000.00 not for any of the five coins that supposed to be find, just a picture of just one coin.  No boys or anybody else found any coins because the story is total untrue.  As stated above, I am seeking stories about buried treasures that people gave up looking for in Connecticut including ghost towns.  Sent pictures and stories to:  farmboy@att.net.  There are people who believe this story and I wish them the very best of luck Smiley  All of us enjoy seeing pictures of all these coins.  If Seldom believe this story, why to this very day, he refused to come to Connecticut to search for it? Smiley

Posted on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:59 pm
Why to this very day, you refused to come to the great state of Connecticut wasting you time for this treasure, that is not?  Stop by, I treat you to a meal and hot coffee.  Best of luck wasting your time and money. Smiley

Above to Seldom Right.

Smiley

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:44:36 pm
Better watch who you call a lair Sam are you will be muted for good.

#17  More harassment from Seldom Right.

Smiley

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:46:37 pm

You got it AU. I got more projects within 500 miles of my home base then I can complete in 5 life times. Why would I step so far away from my stomping grounds to make this nut case happy?

The main reason I am here like you homes BA GD and others is to help folks out. But every so often we get a nut who wants to start with the name calling the combative responses when they don't like what they are told, so be it. Old Sam is just a armchair troll who only wants to start trouble he want last long hell he has already been muted 2 times.LOL

More insults from Seldom Right who is a XXXX and a XXXX who muted me because of it.   Smiley

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:49:02 pm

Prove it Sam prove its untrue

#38.   Seldom Right, I am going to prove it.

Smiley

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:05 pm
Quote:Posted by Connecticut Lovejoy
Smiley#8 is total untrue.  I live in Connecticut and I know what I am writing about.  It all started with a letter for a lady to a Hartford newspaper back in 1951.  William son in law who was living in the tavern when I interview him told me that the family never heard of the story until they read the letter in the newspaper.  France had their own troops to support and never had that much gold or money. I am willing to pay $1,000.00 not for any of the five coins that supposed to be find, just a picture of just one coin.  No boys or anybody else found any coins because the story is total untrue.  As stated above, I am seeking stories about buried treasures that people gave up looking for in Connecticut including ghost towns.  Sent pictures and stories to:  farmboy@att.net.  There are people who believe this story and I wish them the very best of luck Smiley  All of us enjoy seeing pictures of all these coins.  If Seldom believe this story, why to this very day, he refused to come to Connecticut to search for it? Smiley

Posted on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:59 pm
Why to this very day, you refused to come to the great state of Connecticut wasting you time for this treasure, that is not?  Stop by, I treat you to a meal and hot coffee.  Best of luck wasting your time and money. Smiley

Response to Seldom Right demand and insults.  Any questions?

Kiss

Posted on: July 20, 2014, 09:55:33 pm
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Nobody in their right mind gives up looking for any treasure that has a chance of being recovered. It's time now to stop asking and just follow the directions that several of us have given you.

The straight answer is, no. There are no leads for you matching your criteria. Sorry.

You never been in your right mind.  Sorry.

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277876.html#msg277876

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:30:16 pm by nickel_n, Reason: again same abusive language »
Offline golddustcarl
Silver Member

Happy

Thank you159

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Guys, Texas is a great state, Connecticut is a great state and we all live in great states. Stop beating each others brains out   Violent Boxing over a lost treasure. There are enough lost treasures in the states of the union to keep everyone busy for a lifetime. A treasure tale is just that and is not a treasure story until it has been found. Most treasure tales have so much BS added to them over time that it is hard to determine the real facts, and add to that the biggest percentage of them were made up anyways. If you have new clues about a treasure, that is what we want to hear. Sorry for sounding like a moderator, but I am interested in this subject.
golddustcarl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277877.html#msg277877

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2014, 04:34:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sam, This is the Last Time you will be Warned you have had 4 yellow warnings and I see you have been warned again (Green)

ONE MORE STAB at SELDOM and you are gone for Good, Not One Word Sam

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277888.html#msg277888

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think Same has ears in the wrong place and can't hear well.  Violent

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277919.html#msg277919

Xavier

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:26:12 pm by xavier »

So many questions so little time

Offline golddustcarl
Silver Member

Happy

Thank you159

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From the reads on this thread (8550) I'd say people love to watch a slapstick comedy.   Grin
golddustcarl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277925.html#msg277925

GOLDDUST CARL

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2014, 07:19:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let us stick to writing about Connecticut treasures and ghost towns.  Connecticut once had a lot of open lands and farms.  Not so many now.  There is very little gold. Not enough to give up your jobs.

Posted on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:32 pm

Sam old son your mouth has got you muted once you trying for a second time. WARNING DO NOT START UP WITH ME AGAIN or I will have you banned from ever treasure site on the net

This is #13. When I complain in a private message to Seldom,  he deny ever threaded me. He never had the power to banned me on other sites.  I am still on many treasure sites.  I am busy researching local places to find single old coins. Any hints would be helpful.

Smiley

{alt}
{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277954.html#msg277954
http://www.thunting.com/smf/Themes/default/images/warnmute.gif
http://www.thunting.com/smf/Themes/default/images/warnpmod.gif

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:26:31 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And next time you send me a PM like this

Offline   Connecticut Lovejoy
Copper Member

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Minelab Xterra
Insults
« Sent to: xavier on: 57 minutes ago »
Reply  Quote  Save PM  Remove
You need to stop with the insults, or I will complaint. Violent

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php?action=pm;f=inbox;l=-1;p=1;sortByRU=

You'll have me to deal with and then you'll find out what an insult is.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg277955.html#msg277955

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

#68..  I reported you to Moderators.  Shame on you.
 Sad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45563.msg278004.html#msg278004

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: