[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline starjaxx
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:46:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks so much for your response.  I had wondered about coos bay and it's possibilities.  So it seems a Spanish galleon has sank there.  Do you know if there is a river Or stream nearby the cave that the guy saw?  Just wondering. I'm really wondering why I had the dream.  I wasn't even thinking about hidden treasure before the dream....but in time, the purpose will be revealed.  Thanks again sir and remember---Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and all it's righteousness.  Where your treasure is, there will be your heart also.

Smiley 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg60589.html#msg60589

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:41:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I do not know of any spanish ship that ever reached coos bay oregon, Port Orford is 50 miles or more south, and the cave is close @ Humbug mtn st park just below Port Orford and you can only enter the cave at low tide if the state still lets people gain entrance.there are many treasure tales around the area,most of them are probably made up, there was one about a boot legger that made his shine there than ran it up the coast to coos bay and Reedsport he was supposed to have died when his fishing boat capsized in a bad storm, he was supposed to have a lot of money buried near garrison lake

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg60595.html#msg60595

Offline pccvanwilder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 07:40:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

if you type it in on an internet search engine a lot can be found. i studied all this at one time, and although there was no huge treasure ship that sank around tillamook, i recall reading several places that there was a chest of money buried in the area by the spanish. my friends have verified the spanish part, finding swords, etc from the right time frame. there is at least some truth in every legend... for the most part. good luck in your ventures.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg60669.html#msg60669

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tillamook is 10 miles to the beach, Rockaway Beach ,Twin Rocks, Barview, Garibaldi, Bay City ,Oceanside ,Netarts, Cape Lookout st.pk. these are small towns along the beach area in that vicinity,  Please remember that just because you found spanish swords there does not mean the Spaniards were ever there,I once found an English farthing and a 2pence coin in a park in Utah,I am sure the English were never there, but someone lost them there. The treasure you will find in Tillamook is its cheese--and friendly people and their aircraft museum, and beach combing is always fun

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg60694.html#msg60694

Offline pccvanwilder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 11:30:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

lockspyder,
i am trying to be nice, and ignored the first negative comment... but now i guess it is my turn to speak my opinion about this story.  as far as pirate treasure... the answer is definitely not, unless it was never known. however, there WAS a ship that got caught in a storm, and sank, but the crew survived. the story goes that a box of about $4000 was taken and buried. not some amazingly extensive treasure, but treasure that would thrill me to find nonetheless.

my take is this. over time, stories get exaggerated and details become blurred or mistaken, everyone knows this is inevitable. however, i truly believe that nearly all if not all legends in the world are based on some truth. for example, ponce deleon was informed about the fountain of youth that healed, and after searching and searching of course turned up nothing. so does that mean that those native's legend had nothing to back it? of course not! if you search down near bimini, and the bahamas, there are several places that are rumored to have healing qualities in certain springs even today. scientists were so skeptical of all these "miracle" stories that they not once but twice went and took samples and ran their own tests. the second time was because of the drastic sample they got the first time, and they thought that they must have made a mistake. but no... the stories finally had credibility.

my point is this about tillamook and that story.  the natives told of two shipwrecks. one of their stories told of a ship with beeswax, we of course know this to be true now. the other told of spaniards, who wrecked a ship and survived to go shore and bury the ships money supply, one chest of about $4000. They then tell of the slave being killed and buried on top of the money to protect it. believe it, dont, its up to you. but between the spanish finds in the area, the shipwrecks found in the area, and the wax, there was obviously some truth to the legends... which i believe is nearly always the case in any kind of legend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61138.html#msg61138

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 02:44:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was not trying to be negative about this matter, the wax was found at Nehalem Bay,  your story about a spanish ship wasn't told until 100 years later, and it was not at Tillamook Bay, it was at Astoria,40 or 50 miles north.in any case it was an old treasure tale from a magazine article by Tom Pembrook, back in early 1970's, I believe it was True Treasure,you should be able to find the article on the internet.I lived there(Tillamook) long enough to know the stories and tales of the area,How long did you live there, I might know your family it was a small town and everybody knew everybody. I was trying to be helpful about the Port Orford area, I saw with my own eyes the proof that the Spaniards were there

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61157.html#msg61157

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:01:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I did some research into this shipwreck after reading about it in a book from the early 50s.

The wax block markings were supposedly from a 1716 galleon named the San Francisco Xavier or sometimes called the St Francis Xavier, which supposedly grounded on Nehalem Spit and was salvaged by the crew. Others have discounted this ship as it was supposedly located later elswhere. The wax found at Nehalem is seems to really be from a galleon. It was written about in a book I believe was titled Treasure Tales of Oregon which was published in the 50s. The galleon was supposedly visible at that time and I believe there might be a photo of it in the book. Of course surrounded by sand so no landmarks are visible. I took a few trips there in the 90s but never really found any clues to that wreck, but also did not search very hard.  

There are several ship and treasure legends from there. Pirate gold in Nehaukanie. Sir Francis Drake possibly stopped there. There are carved rocks located along that coastline which are purported to be treasure related but were moved by one treasure hunter to avoid competition. I have personally found 2, one at Oceanside in a sea cave and one very near Haystack rock at Cannon Beach. The one at Haystack is covered by water until negative tide. All I know is they are carved and stone and stuck. Who carved them and what they mean is still the stuff of legend. Happy hunting!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61158.html#msg61158

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok lets look at this story,Who told the story? the Spaniards never valued their money in dollars so why the $4000 amount? the Natives around had no knowledge of gold or silver let alone its value,they traded salt to the inland natives as a form of currency salt had value. the natives did not speak Spanish so if the Spaniards did tell them anything they would not understand them,as far as the wreck goes, there would be no rescue ships, no one would even begin to know where the ship would have been lost, so if there was survivors who would they tell,the natives? they would not keep records of lost ships or crazy bearded men, it would hold no interest to them,as far as burying a slave on top of the treasure I think you could blame Robert Louis Stevenson for that, maybe he read about it somewhere. I like good story's as well as anyone, but treasure in Tillamook is just a good story, funny thing I lived there for 10 years and had family there for 25 and never once heard anyone in town talk about it.But dont take my word for it,but will advise you look real good at your source,I wish you good luck,and I hope you can prove me wrong if you do send me a note, I would love to hear about it.Back to the early natives around Northern Oregon,history was kept by something big that happened to them,like a big fire,or a wale washing up on the beach, or maybe seeing a bunch of bearded men that were alien to them, but the memory would be like When did lost horse die? you remember it was the year of the bearded men,they would not articulate more than that,and that would be as far as their memory of them would be,like I said they knew nothing of treasure or its value

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61171.html#msg61171

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 05:21:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Unlike 99.9% of treasure tales this one has some physical evidence in the place of the wax and thats why I was interested. Its not just wax but blocks of wax marked like ingots, obviously part of a shipment. In the link below scroll down to the nehalem wax you might find some of your questions answered. This story is a part of Oregon history.

Just a few years ago a wreck surfaced near Tillamook after the huge winter storms. No one knew what wreck it was, no one in town, no one at all. After some archaeological research it was identified but the point is no one had any idea it was there. But it was and right on the beach where thousands of people walked over the years. Thats what makes the ocean so fascinating I think Smiley

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=RG4UAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=nehalem+wax+markings&source=bl&ots=8qfbZ-guxA&sig=XobnaYUZBZ4PILmLneHkPrK4L6s&hl=en&ei=CZMZS8DgFoGmsgOlu-n8BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61182.html#msg61182

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The wax is real,seen some of it myself, there used to be a store down town who used it for window display, and I have heard the old timers talk of finding it on the beach, but no treasure ships, never heard anyone ever talk about one. there was a ship found on the beach,I believe it was the schooner Portland,I'm not sure of the name,Ill have to ask my brother he was up there at the time it started to come up out of the sand.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61204.html#msg61204

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: